PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I recently stumbled over the 1979 screening of Erick Maria Remarque's novel, all quiet on the western front, and right off the bat I have noticed that the very likable Kat character is smoking a pipe (unlike the 1930 screening, and the book for that matter if my memory serves me right). Nice piece too ... it immediately caught my eye. Any idea what it might be? Paul's father smokes a pipe also, but that's your standard short tyroliche with a wind cap, nothing fancy ...

kat pipe.jpg

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
On a closer look i think it is a 6 panel .. dunhill made those, but I never saw one with such a wide stem ..

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The way the stem is thicker than the shank it appears "Frankensteined" or is a prop.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Replicating the distance and focus seems almost impossible with a cell phone, but....

96F855F9-04A8-40BC-B303-FB05C7F1CDAC.jpeg

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Movie prop people were probably exerting all their energies on getting the uniforms, haircuts, facial hair, and military gear right, so tobacco pipes were perhaps low priority for historical accuracy, even for WWI. Satisfying Civil War/War Between the States buffs is virtually impossible. I had a friend (great great grandfather a CSA cavalry officer) argue that "Southern" accents didn't arise until after the war when the South became isolated, so the exaggerated accents used in movies are inauthentic. I don't know, but he was on fairly firm ground in terms of having done homework, walked battlefields, etc. He even had cuttings of battleground trees on his property; he was married to a Michigan native whose ancestor had fought for the North. Interesting folks, both ardent history buffs.

Reactions: BROBS