Good Artisans Who Could Make an Army Mount Pipe (Like Shown in the Picture)?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I really love the look of this Barling pipe . Nowadays pipes in such vintage style are not made. True, army mount pipes are made by Peterson, Rattrays, Stamwell, but they still differ in the design of the silver bands.

So I thought maybe I could ask an artisan to produce a similar pipe.
The pipe in the picture is from a Barling vintage pipe set, that was sold on Smikingpipes.com

Any recommendstions?
(Prefferably in England, Europe would be fine as well in general .)004-002-11748_4.jpg004-002-11748_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
When I think modern English carvers doing classical English shapes I think of Chris Askwith. I believe he’s located in England.
He's indeed based in the UK.

I contacted him several years ago about an army mount pipe and he said he'll only do faux army mount pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Metal work is the key. I think of Les Wood (Ferndown pipes), but I don't think he does commissions, and I think he may only do limited carving by now. But in asking around, the metalsmith part is foremost for army mounts, I would think.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Northern Briars is UK based and has made some army mount pipes in the past.

N_1_2_5af7fe9a-66c6-425a-84e8-dc96e4888783_x700.JPG

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Besides Chris A. and Michail, Adam Davidson also has the chops.

For a number of reasons most carvers don't mess with metal spinning, though. And going the "other way"---matching a stummel to an existing silver cap---isn't nearly as simple as it sounds. (frazed stummel mass production, yes; for individual free-form carvers, no)

If your pockets aren't deep enough to afford Chris, Michail, or Adam (there might be a few others, but I'm unaware of them), your best bet is the early 20th century estate market. BBB in particular.

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
Many thanks for all the recommendations. I will check Michail , Chris Asteriou , Adam Davidson and Chris Askwith

I didnt realized that not many pipe makers do silverwork nowaday.

Peterson's has a plethora of pipes that look almost identical. One is even a System pipe.

I do have a Peterson Army 69, but like I said the band/mount doesnt has the same antique form.

If your pockets aren't deep enough to afford Chris, Michail, or Adam (there might be a few others, but I'm unaware of them), your best bet is the early 20th century estate market. BBB in particular.
Well I could imagine to pay up to 600 USD, as an upcoming birthday presnt for myself haha.

I am tryingto check estate pipe lsitings from time to time as well.

Northern Briars is UK based and has made some army mount pipes in the past.
I doubt they making commisions
Metal work is the key. I think of Les Wood (Ferndown pipes), but I don't think he does commissions

Yes, I also dont think he will do a commission

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
While the several other carvers mentioned all do fantastic work, for classic shapes, I don't think there’s anyone doing better work at the moment than Chris Asteriou. The one problem right now is that packages from Greece to the USA aren’t moving. This pipe from Chris is on its way, but Goodness knows when it will actually leave the Athens export center. His silver work is outstanding.

22DE9D87-029F-4E76-9B71-15909677DCD5.jpeg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
While the several other carvers mentioned all do fantastic work, for classic shapes, I don't think there’s anyone doing better work at the moment than Chris Asteriou. The one problem right now is that packages from Greece to the USA aren’t moving. This pipe from Chris is on its way, but Goodness knows when it will actually leave the Athens export center. His silver work is outstanding.

View attachment 32139

My favorite shape done beautifully! Awesome pipe Craig.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Many thanks for all the recommendations. I will check Michail , Chris Asteriou , Adam Davidson and Chris Askwith

I didnt realized that not many pipe makers do silverwork nowaday.

I do have a Peterson Army 69, but like I said the band/mount doesnt has the same antique form.

Well I could imagine to pay up to 600 USD, as an upcoming birthday presnt for myself haha.

I am tryingto check estate pipe lsitings from time to time as well.

I doubt they making commisions

Yes, I also dont think he will do a commission
If you have that much to spend find a vintage Comoy’s, Peterson or other such pipe IMo. Unless you want a brand new pipe in which case I would go for Michail.

There’s a reason most pipe companies don’t mess with a thin acorn shaped ferrule on the shank. It makes the end of the army mount thin and prone to cracking if it’s abused or jammed in. Also to have the thin acorn ferrule the shank must be fairly thin or your pipe will be huge to compensate. Just a sidenote as to why that shaping isn’t mass produced anymore.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Here’s a fairly recent pickup of mine from Michail Kyriazanos. Blasted straight army mount.. it’s fantastic.
He’s currently working on my fifth pipe from him.

Edit: Chris Asteriou is also highly recommended but the Kyriazanos price point is a bit lower I think. He’s a tremendous value.

69F0AFA2-25D7-4A3C-84E6-4A5F6830AD48.jpeg
630B9183-0AB7-43D3-B65E-1495EBFDB33C.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.