PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
First of all, I wasn’t entirely sure whether this should go here or in the “Accessories” section. My apologies if it needs to be moved.

So my question is not how to store tobacco per se. I am pretty much a fan of mason jars. My question is how do you store your jars? I’ve begun to accumulate quite a few. Not as many as some of y’all, but enough that it’s starting to get a bit out of hand for the space that I have. Do any of you have a tidy solution for storing jars that doesn’t take up a huge amount of space?

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
For pipes and tobacco storage I bought a couple of cheap IKEA metal drawer cabinets that i wall mounted. The drawers are probably to small for lager mason jars but works fine with tins and smaller jars.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I use these crates from Michael's which I hang on the wall of my workshop. IIRC, it's half-pint jars that fit it perfectly. There are multiple versions of that size. Only one fits correctly, but is readily available. I just write the name of the blend in the lid. You can get fancier and add label art. This is where I keep my supply of tobaccos for smoking now -- not for bulk storage.

Screenshot_20200603-090042.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The tins and jars that won't fit in or on top of a rack and pipe cabinet end up layered outside the books on a bookshelf, I'm sad to say. Handy but not very smart looking. Fortunately, I have a somewhat glacial pace of usage, so I have years of leaf on hand.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
This is the kind of setup I had in mind, as it gets things on the wall and off of my horizontal surfaces. Only thing is I mostly use the bigger jars. I may just have to make something.
Or break it down into smaller jars and just keep the one out you’re smoking at the time. That’s what I do.
so if a lb goes in 5 or 6 small jars I put one in my bedroom on a bookshelf and the rest go in my basement cellar behind the bar on shelving.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
First of all, I wasn’t entirely sure whether this should go here or in the “Accessories” section. My apologies if it needs to be moved.

So my question is not how to store tobacco per se. I am pretty much a fan of mason jars. My question is how do you store your jars? I’ve begun to accumulate quite a few. Not as many as some of y’all, but enough that it’s starting to get a bit out of hand for the space that I have. Do any of you have a tidy solution for storing jars that doesn’t take up a huge amount of space?
Yes, don't use mason jars. There are tons of other stackable options available out there that are far more efficient than mason jars.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I'd be leery of how airtight those containers are. Have you any long term experience?
Yes, been using them for years. No, I don't cellar anything, just store it usually for no more than 6 months, but they are made to hold liquid so by definition they are airtight...and I've never noticed tobacco going dry in them, and since they are microwavable, they are coated with something that doesn't give off a flavor either. The nice thing is they dont' take up much space, they are stackable, and you don't have to worry about breakage. Before you speculate, since they are so cheap, the next time you go to walmart, pick up a pack and try them out, you'll be surprised.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Yes, been using them for years. No, I don't cellar anything, just store it usually for no more than 6 months, but they are made to hold liquid so by definition they are airtight...and I've never noticed tobacco going dry in them, and since they are microwavable, they are coated with something that doesn't give off a flavor either. The nice thing is they dont' take up much space, they are stackable, and you don't have to worry about breakage. Before you speculate, since they are so cheap, the next time you go to walmart, pick up a pack and try them out, you'll be surprised.
By the way, I also use these Ziploc containers as well. Same concept as the Rubbermaid, but more stackable because they have a more square bottom to them which makes them more stable when you have a tower of them, but, they always seem to be sold out of them, so most of what I have are Rubbermaid.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
yeah..... I would never ever use a plastic container of any kind for tobacco. Ok? Good talk.

screens_feature3-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.