PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I prefer the feel of vulcanite , but the maintenance free characteristics of lucite.
Wipe oil on them after each smoke and they don't oxidize. I've yet to have a newly bought stem turn, nor have estates that I've cleaned. My acrylic stemmed pipes rarely get used, and one of my 904s likely never will because of it.

20200325_141710.jpg

Reactions: BROBS
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I love the look of acrylic. The bright colors that are available really make some pipes “pop,” aesthetically. I can do acrylic if I’m sitting down just having a pipe and a cup of coffee or something, but if I need my hands free, I much prefer vulcanite for clenching. Since most of my smokes are while I’m working with my hands in the shop, my pipes mostly sport vulcanite.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
Wipe oil on them after each smoke and they don't oxidize. I've yet to have a newly bought stem turn, nor have estates that I've cleaned. My acrylic stemmed pipes rarely get used, and one of my 904s likely never will because of it.

I am still waiting to see a vulcanite stem that won't oxidize for me (including Dunhill, Ashtons, Savs, etc.) I polish them back to smooth hard black, and I use obsidian oil every time, all the time. Not stored in the sun. And every one starts to oxidize after 20-30 smokes. After a few years it will be green and gross even after oiling. I am a clencher, and maybe I have acid mouth. I like the feel of vulcanite much better, but vulcanite stem maintenance is a PITA. I loathe the day when acrylic stems start to hurt my teeth.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
My guess: Lack of imagination, and lack of exploiting the newer plastic alternatives to the hard-rubber Vulcanite....the "traditional" stem material.

I doubt I could be convinced that if you stuck an acrylic or Vulcanite stem in the mouth of some blindfolded guy, he'd be able to tell the difference...and if he did, the difference would be so slight, that it wouldn't matter. If Vulcanite was suddenly banned....would you stop smoking a pipe if it HAD to be made using acrylics for stem material? Would your smoking experience be so ruined that you'd have to give up the pipe? Plastics might not be as easy to clench....but it could be formulated or coated to solve that problem by making a little softer.

Vulcanite sucks, if considered objectively. It oxidizes, it's brittle and prone to breaking/snapping if flexed, it's easily abraded, scratched, chipped, dented, and can't be glued for major repairs. Plastics can do everything Vulcanite can do, and do it better, and with more options. Plastics can be formulated for strength, flexibility, color choices, it's bendable, it can be drilled, milled, and turned, and can be glued, fused, bonded. Vulcanite continues to used because its cheap, easily molded, and can be worked with simple tools and abrasives. Ditto for plastics. I can think of few things other than pocket combs, buttons, etc, that are made using Vulcanite besides pipe stems. And those mentioned trivial items can be made from plastics. Vulcanite...is a product from the past. For more than a century, Vulcanite fit the bill for the few early pipe-makers and factory-made pipes. Millions of guys got used to the way it feels in the mouth and against the teeth, when clenched, so for some it matters.

Millions of Vulcanite pipe-stems are still being made and the older stems are still around....but you have to treat them carefully, of they quickly cause grief to the pipe owner. Vulcanite has to be maintained to keep it looking in tip-top shape. It's a bit of a PITA. Not so with plastics, Lucite/acrylics...excluding abuse.

I'm just about ready to order a few custom-made pipes. I will specify acrylics/Delrin to be used for the stem material because... I have a choice. Plastic holds dimensions and almost never changes. I have a custom-made pipe that's close to 40 years old. It was made using a hand-cast acrylic stem. That pipe-stem is in the same pristine condition as it was on the day it was manufactured and got its final buffing and polishing by the pipe-maker. If it was made from black, old-fashioned Vulcanite...could/would I be able to say the same things? BTW, the pipe, which is still my favorite, is used very, very, often...yet the stem (and pipe) still looks brand new. The original acrylic stem, never gave me the slightest problem. If not maintained...what would 40 year old Vulcanite look like?

I realize that pipe-smokers like options. So do choose the stem materials according to your own specific uses and preferences.

Plastics work for me.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My guess: Lack of imagination, and lack of exploiting the newer plastic alternatives to the hard-rubber Vulcanite....the "traditional" stem material.

I doubt I could be convinced that if you stuck an acrylic or Vulcanite stem in the mouth of some blindfolded guy, he'd be able to tell the difference...and if he did, the difference would be so slight, that it wouldn't matter. If Vulcanite was suddenly banned....would you stop smoking a pipe if it HAD to be made using acrylics for stem material? Would your smoking experience be so ruined that you'd have to give up the pipe? Plastics might not be as easy to clench....but it could be formulated or coated to solve that problem by making a little softer.

Vulcanite sucks, if considered objectively. It oxidizes, it's brittle and prone to breaking/snapping if flexed, it's easily abraded, scratched, chipped, dented, and can't be glued for major repairs. Plastics can do everything Vulcanite can do, and do it better, and with more options. Plastics can be formulated for strength, flexibility, color choices, it's bendable, it can be drilled, milled, and turned, and can be glued, fused, bonded. Vulcanite continues to used because its cheap, easily molded, and can be worked with simple tools and abrasives. Ditto for plastics. I can think of few things other than pocket combs, buttons, etc, that are made using Vulcanite besides pipe stems. And those mentioned trivial items can be made from plastics. Vulcanite...is a product from the past. For more than a century, Vulcanite fit the bill for the few early pipe-makers and factory-made pipes. Millions of guys got used to the way it feels in the mouth and against the teeth, when clenched, so for some it matters.

Millions of Vulcanite pipe-stems are still being made and the older stems are still around....but you have to treat them carefully, of they quickly cause grief to the pipe owner. Vulcanite has to be maintained to keep it looking in tip-top shape. It's a bit of a PITA. Not so with plastics, Lucite/acrylics...excluding abuse.

I'm just about ready to order a few custom-made pipes. I will specify acrylics/Delrin to be used for the stem material because... I have a choice. Plastic holds dimensions and almost never changes. I have a custom-made pipe that's close to 40 years old. It was made using a hand-cast acrylic stem. That pipe-stem is in the same pristine condition as it was on the day it was manufactured and got its final buffing and polishing by the pipe-maker. If it was made from black, old-fashioned Vulcanite...could/would I be able to say the same things? BTW, the pipe, which is still my favorite, is used very, very, often...yet the stem (and pipe) still looks brand new. The original acrylic stem, never gave me the slightest problem. If not maintained...what would 40 year old Vulcanite look like?

I realize that pipe-smokers like options. So do choose the stem materials according to your own specific uses and preferences.

Plastics work for me.
If you say so.

Thirty years, nothing but oil.

20200426_213446.jpg

50+ years and unsmoked before I got it.

20200227_040850.png

If not maintained...what would 40 year old Vulcanite look like?

If not cleaned, what would acrylic look like? Running a pipe cleaner, and wiping a stem with oil sounds like work to you?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As I think about the original post, I recall that lots of materials have been tried for stems -- horn, various plastics other than acrylic, briar and other woods, among others. I think a variety of newer materials haven't been tried because the pipe market has become smaller, and the customer base smaller and older, so pipe makers are hanging on to the products they know and not trying to innovate much for fear of getting stuck with unsold inventory. As it were, no one wants to be left holding the Brylon of the 21st Century.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Maybe 3 or 4 of my 85 pipes don't have vulcanite stems. I clench almost all the time and acrylic just doesn't work for me. There has to be a middle ground and dammit Chambers this has fallen on you to fix. I am giving you 4 weeks to come up with an alternative. Just think about how rich you will get. My 20% management fee will of course be in effect.
Now stop posting and get working.

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
I like that acrylic stems require basically no maintenance.
As for softness, I honestly do not notice all too much difference between vulcanite and acrylic stems.

I have recently added a pipe with a horn stem to my wishlist and am looking forward to testing that material.

Reactions: OzPiper