PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Nice tractor. Every fall our town has a weekend celebration with a carnival, a parade and other events. The parade lines up in front of our house and we sit in the front yard and watch the parade go by. There is always about a dozen or more antique/vintage tractors...mostly John Deere and Farmall with a couple of the blue Fords. It's my favorite part of the parade.

Reactions: Bowie

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Also, years ago a co-worker/friend bought a little 5 acre farmette and a Oliver tractor came with the place. It was pretty beat up, but it ran. I don't know how old it was, but I remember it was green and had a cool grill on the front.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
2012 New Holland TS6.120. Pretty simple 120 hp MFWD loader tractor we use for everything. mowing, raking, baling, feeding, brush hogging, discing, etc. We got it because is mostly mechanical and easy to work on, since we are 3 hrs and a few mountain passes away from the nearest dealer. It's got about 2000 hrs on it now.

Reactions: BROBS and dcon

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Used to bush-hog with an old JD 4020. Spent many a blissful hour on top of that green machine. Don't care much for the JD dozers and graders but, those old tractors were good solid tools.

And, Old School, those 8n's were great tractors. Up there with the Farm-Alls for dependability.

Reactions: BROBS and dcon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No country boy, all I have is a metal toy Farmall with the offset steering and the tilt-up seat to keep it from holding rainwater (I think). The State Fairground up the street, in ordinary years, has a agriculture festival with a spectacular tractor parade, everything from steam powered machines up through all the decades. That is some serious John Deere.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Blades', if it were big enough to pedal, I might take a turn around the living room, tight turns permitting. However, it is a table top model, so I have to content myself with plowing around the salt cellar and table ware, with its excellent steering. It's offset steering column allows me to make sure I keep it off the furrow (the print on the tablecloth). We do have a "pedal" horse on the front porch, but that old tin nag is too fragile to ride, so we just let him watch the passing traffic. My wife grew up on a cattle farm in Northeast Missouri, so we have a pie safe in the foyer and often have Grandma Girtha's fried potatoes with a meal. When in Missouri on a more recent trip, we took apples to Hawk, a "free" horse her cousin was given, old fella blind in one eye. My wife got too close when he was lifting his head and got kind of a boxer's cut, just being grazed by that big neck, no malice or aggression involved, just a big strong horse. Farm girl that she is, we went to the local drugstore to doctor it, and they were patient and helpful. That's the local ER, as it were. I thought I went out bravely with a bucket of grain to feed the cows and that ton of Angus bull, but apparently my body language was trepidatious and the family was amused -- the boy is humongous, but calm, and uh, sticks to his business producing calves.

Last edited:

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Fine machine, could change the landscape with that rig. I have a 1956 Ford 860 to help around the property.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Nice tractor Brad. I grew up farming with a JD 730 diesel, a JD 4020 and an Allis Chalmers WD45. That old 730 was such a joy to plow with, those 2 big cylinders had such a neat rhythm. At night the exhaust pipes would get orange...........
The WD45 was hand crank start, and you learned real quick how to crank it. Wrap your thumb around the handle and it would just about rip it off when it kicked back.
I only own a 1958 Ford 960 diesel now. It's a great tractor............... puffy

Reactions: dcon
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Blades', if it were big enough to pedal, I might take a turn around the living room, tight turns permitting. However, it is a table top model, so I have to content myself with plowing around the salt cellar and table ware, with its excellent steering. It's offset steering column allows me to make sure I keep it off the furrow (the print on the tablecloth). We do have a "pedal" horse on the front porch, but that old tin nag is too fragile to ride, so we just let him watch the passing traffic. My wife grew up on a cattle farm in Northeast Missouri, so we have a pie safe in the foyer and often have Grandma Girtha's fried potatoes with a meal. When in Missouri on a more recent trip, we took apples to Hawk, a "free" horse her cousin was given, old fella blind in one eye. My wife got too close when he was lifting his head and got kind of a boxer's cut, just being grazed by that big neck, no malice or aggression involved, just a big strong horse. Farm girl that she is, we went to the local drugstore to doctor it, and they were patient and helpful. That's the local ER, as it were. I thought I went out bravely with a bucket of grain to feed the cows and that ton of Angus bull, but apparently my body language was trepidatious and the family was amused -- the boy is humongous, but calm, and uh, sticks to his business producing calves.
Sounds like good times.

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
The worst tractor I think I’ve ever been on was what I believe to be a Cold War era Belarus. I think it was made from leftover Russian tank parts.

My father would second your opinion on Soviet tractors. He had a small farm with two tractors on it back in the 70s. One was a small blue Ford that he liked and the other was a big red Ursus from the wrong side of the iron curtain. He says it had mislabeled gauges from the factory and was scary and felt disconnected to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.