PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hdeaniii

Lurker
May 21, 2020
Northern Virginia
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I just received an unsmoked, in the box with pipe sleeve, Peterson Mark Twain pipe. The Dublin silver hallmarks date it to '85. Would you leave it unsmoked or enjoy it and smoke it? I have a estate 2S that i am enjoying very much from the same period. Do I add the Mark Twain to my rotation?

Last edited by a moderator:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I just received an unsmoked, in the box with pipe sleeve, Peterson Mark Twain pipe. The Dublin silver hallmarks date it to '85. Would you leave it unsmoked or enjoy it and smoke it? I have a estate 2S that i am enjoying very much from the same period. Do I add the Mark Twain to my rotation?
If it’s the first year smooth with box that you way overpaid for on eBay I wouldn’t smoke it.

• Wow
Reactions: macaroni and rushx9

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I’m in the smoke ‘em if you’ve got ‘em camp. Ultimately it is your decision and there isn’t a wrong decision. If you bought it to resell and prefer to not smoke it that is fine, too. I buy all my pipes with the intention of smoking them at some point. I do recognize that there might be some pipes that are so old or rare that smoking them is a risk that shouldn’t be taken but I’m not in that market.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I believe 85 was the first year. Even so, I believe pipes are best enjoyed smoked.
It was.
I’d keep it unsmoked and get another to smoke. Also unless you add the chimney piece (I did to mine) it’s not really a system pipe either just an XL bent. As it is it’s a collectible piece and would look great on display.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
It’s your pipe, so do whatever you please. But since you asked, smoke the damn thing, you aren’t going to retire on it and it’s not going to pay for your kids’ college either. I have several Peterson Mark Twain pipes and they are each a pleasure to smoke. We aren’t on this rock for very long, you bought it to enjoy it, so smoke it already!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You're a pipe smoker. Do you also want to be a collector of unsmoked pipes? Or do you want to attempt to monetize the pipe by selling it for more than you paid? As management consultants sometimes say, what business are you in? Your call. I'd smoke it.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It really just depends how into collecting Pete’s you are too... there’s plenty of other Pete’s that aren’t nearly as collectible to smoke. No it’s not some high dollar gem, but an unsmoked smooth 1985 Twain isn’t very easy to find. Show me another one for sale right now that’s unsmoked.

Granted, I’ve never even paid as much as the OP did for this Mark Twain for a Gold Mounted Supreme System.

Reactions: rushx9

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I guess I will he different and say don't smoke it. If you have to ask whether or not you should smoke an unsmoked pipe you just bought, it suggests to me that you have second thoughts about the pipe. If that's so, keeping it unsmoked will help you bring a better price later if you decide to sell it.

Reactions: scloyd and BROBS

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I have always decided what I want a thing for before I bought it. I know lots of people buy something and then figure out what they want it for, but I really can’t get in that mindset. Why did you put the cash down in the first place? To smoke it or to put it on a mantel?

Reactions: OzPiper and BROBS