PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
I'm enjoying my pipe smokimg hobby, I'm pretty new at this. I'm perplexed at how delicious the "tin note" can be with tobacco when i take that big sniff, only to burn it and it smells like pure cigarettes. The whole room.

One reason I like FMC is that when I smell the tin note, and while I'm smoking, and done smoking, there's that delicious consistent odor. I even like to wrap myself in my flannel shirt when done because it smells *so good*.

Carter Hall, I'm undecided. I took my first smoke of it yesterday evening. It smells wonderful even though it's classified as a non-aromatic, but I don't remember if I smelled like cigarettes last night as I had been smoking earlier.

I just got done smoking SWRA. Tin note and room note smelled pretty good. But now I just smell like cigarettes. Which means if I had smoked inside today my home would probably smell the same way.

What good are aromatics if everything smells *completely opposite* of the tin note? (This statement is facetious, I know we're smoking tobacco; I'm new.)

Anyone know of any good ones that may be consistent in odors?

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
????Lalalalakeland! The infamous florals smell more like incense than perfume or soap to me. In many cases the room note isn't just inoffensive, it's downright fantastic. They aren't for everyone, but definitely worth trying and making up your own mind about. There are advocates and detractors of every genre, and this is just another in the wide world of full flavored pipe tobacco.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Samuel Gawith Firedance Flake is my all-time favorite aromatic. Not floral, but blackberry brandy and vanilla. Every time I smoke it I'm told it "smells like Christmas" or an "expensive scented candle". Even just a pinch of a flake improves the room note of other blends. My favorite home blend is Balkan Supreme mixed with around 1/3rd Firedance. It tastes like a more aromatic Esoterica Pembroke. KBV describes Pembroke as the time Frog Morton vacationed in France and cellared a bunch of Cognac (or something to that extent) and I feel like the Supreme/Firedance combo is even closer to that imaginary Froggy scenario.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Keep other, more offensive smells around so that you can better appreciate the tobacco room note... nana

1589740817824.png

It sounds like you really appreciate the characteristics of latakia. There are tons of English variants and other latakia blends to experiment with.

Try some Black Frigate! ?‍☠️

1589740800692.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm lucky not to have had a long term cigarette habit. If you have, you may always associate Virginia leaf with those. Even with SWRA, it is probably the Virginia condiment that is smelling like cigarettes. Find the blends that don't have that association for you, and stick with those for a while. Eventually, you may be able to smoke some blends that have more Virginia without tasting nails. Smell and taste are senses that pique a lot of memories, so you just have to work around that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some Cavendish based blends may not have much cigarette smell. Cavendish is a process not a tobacco leaf, so it is often made of either Virgnia or burley. It gives good smoke volume, and usually carries a good deal of the non-tobacco flavorings in the room note. Lane Vanilla Black Cavendish or Lane BCA with vanilla and fruit flavors, both in bulk by the ounce, might be good one ounce samples to try.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I'm enjoying my pipe smokimg hobby, I'm pretty new at this. I'm perplexed at how delicious the "tin note" can be with tobacco when i take that big sniff, only to burn it and it smells like pure cigarettes. The whole room.

One reason I like FMC is that when I smell the tin note, and while I'm smoking, and done smoking, there's that delicious consistent odor. I even like to wrap myself in my flannel shirt when done because it smells *so good*.

Carter Hall, I'm undecided. I took my first smoke of it yesterday evening. It smells wonderful even though it's classified as a non-aromatic, but I don't remember if I smelled like cigarettes last night as I had been smoking earlier.

I just got done smoking SWRA. Tin note and room note smelled pretty good. But now I just smell like cigarettes. Which means if I had smoked inside today my home would probably smell the same way.

What good are aromatics if everything smells *completely opposite* of the tin note? (This statement is facetious, I know we're smoking tobacco; I'm new.)

Anyone know of any good ones that may be consistent in odors?
Try Mac Baren Vanilla Flake. If you can’t taste that you can’t taste. ?

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
I'm lucky not to have had a long term cigarette habit. If you have, you may always associate Virginia leaf with those. Even with SWRA, it is probably the Virginia condiment that is smelling like cigarettes. Find the blends that don't have that association for you, and stick with those for a while. Eventually, you may be able to smoke some blends that have more Virginia without tasting nails. Smell and taste are senses that pique a lot of memories, so you just have to work around that.
I had no idea. This is very insightful and explains a lot. I've only had a few cigarettes, but I've been around smokers who are friends. I dont like cigars but would take cigarettes before cigars. If it's the VAs then this will help me in my search, thank you.

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
Some Cavendish based blends may not have much cigarette smell. Cavendish is a process not a tobacco leaf, so it is often made of either Virgnia or burley. It gives good smoke volume, and usually carries a good deal of the non-tobacco flavorings in the room note. Lane Vanilla Black Cavendish or Lane BCA with vanilla and fruit flavors, both in bulk by the ounce, might be good one ounce samples to try.
Ah, I'll have to check those out.