PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I have been contemplating trying at least one GH&C cherry blend for a little while now and thanks to @hauntedmyst for starting a thread that made it worse. ?

There are now 6 on my list I'm curious about and would like to order just an oz or 2 of each to try when they come into stock but given the issues with obtaining GH&C blends I don't want to spend my time sampling and then decide to order a Lb or so of one or two of them only to find them out of stock again.

I kinda see 5 possibilities:

1) too Lakeland for my tastes
2) very mild Lakeland (like Bob's chocolate flake)
3) over the top cherry (like Devils' Holiday is over the top berry)
4) nice and mild with a subtle hint of cherry
5) no discernible cherry for my palate

Anyone who has tried these that can provide comparison would be appreciated, especially @jiminks since he has reviewed 5 of the 6. I'm also wondering if 2 of these aren't basically the same, perhaps one is tinned and the other is bulk?

So here they are:

1) Cherry Cream Flake: Link to Review
2) Top Black Cherry: Link to Review
3) Exclusive Black Cherry: Link to Review
4) American Blend Black Cherry: Link to Review
5) American Blend Cherry & Vanilla: Link to Review
6) Cherry & Vanilla: Link to Review

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have been contemplating trying at least one GH&C cherry blend for a little while now and thanks to @hauntedmyst for starting a thread that made it worse. ?

There are now 6 on my list I'm curious about and would like to order just an oz or 2 of each to try when they come into stock but given the issues with obtaining GH&C blends I don't want to spend my time sampling and then decide to order a Lb or so of one or two of them only to find them out of stock again.

Anyone who has tried these that can provide comparison would be appreciated, especially @jiminks since he has reviewed 5 of the 6. I'm also wondering if 2 of these aren't basically the same, perhaps one is tinned and the other is bulk?

So here they are:

Top Black Cherry fits your criteria more than the others.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
After reading every review or comment I could find about Sakura it just sounds a little too perfumey for me.

If the Cherry Cream Flake is analogous to Bob's Chocolate Flake I think 1 box is all I need. Phenomenal when the mood strikes but not a regular rotation blend.

I'll be on the lookout for the Top Black Cherry though.

Oct 7, 2016
After reading every review or comment I could find about Sakura it just sounds a little too perfumey for me.

If the Cherry Cream Flake is analogous to Bob's Chocolate Flake I think 1 box is all I need. Phenomenal when the mood strikes but not a regular rotation blend.

I'll be on the lookout for the Top Black Cherry though.
Sounds like both might hit you right, in different ways.

I don’t get as much Lakeland in CCF as @jiminks apparently does, but I do get more than I think most people do from Bob’s.

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
It's not on your list but I'll pipe in anyhow to say that I found GH Kendal Black Cherry to be a No.4 on your list.

Very nice to me with subtle dark cherry taste, not to sweet or artificial, no vanilla or Lakeland that I can detect. Gotten praise from non-smoking wife and sister in law on how nice it smells to.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'm very encouraged by what I'm hearing about Top Black Cherry.

It's not on your list but I'll pipe in anyhow to say that I found GH Kendal Black Cherry to be a No.4 on your list.

Very nice to me with subtle dark cherry taste, not to sweet or artificial, no vanilla or Lakeland that I can detect. Gotten praise from non-smoking wife and sister in law on how nice it smells to.

I added a tin of this to an order this morning since it was about the only cherry GH&C blend in stock.

BTW, SP has Rattray's Exotic Passion in stock...

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
I have tried the cherry Cream flake, its a virginia flake with a natural cherry topping.The topping tastes of sour cherry, it wafts in and out as you smoke down the bowl.The fact that the cherry is not sweet but sharp makes it unusual I liked it for that reason.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I believe Top Black Cherry was renamed Kendal Black Cherry. I have an open tin of KBC and it has absolutely zero Lakeland floral, imho. I taste plenty of cherry and some sweetness, but it tastes natural and not artificial or chemy in the typical US cherry aro way. Cherry Cream Flake is at the top of my list of Gawith flakes to try, but my understanding is that it is the one Gawith Cherry blend that DOES contain some Lakeland floral essence. It may be Bright CR or Kendal Flake with a cherry topping.

Oct 7, 2016
I believe Top Black Cherry was renamed Kendal Black Cherry. I have an open tin of KBC and it has absolutely zero Lakeland floral, imho. I taste plenty of cherry and some sweetness, but it tastes natural and not artificial or chemy in the typical US cherry aro way. Cherry Cream Flake is at the top of my list of Gawith flakes to try, but my understanding is that it is the one Gawith Cherry blend that DOES contain some Lakeland floral essence. It may be Bright CR or Kendal Flake with a cherry topping.
I have trouble keeping track of all the name changes which, as noted by others, have been mandated by EU, UK and FDA regulations, but my memory is that CCF was a traditional Flake that predated the 1980’s or early. 1990’s introduction of more “American” style aromatics. Anything with American in the name should be a safe haven for Lakelandphobes. Including ones resident in the UK.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I have trouble keeping track of all the name changes
Therein lies the problem.

I'm looking to round out the aro portion of my cellar and if a blend is (essentially) the same as another I run the risk of twice the depth but half the width, as it were, than intended. A nice cherry aro that is non-artificial and non-chemical tasting is what I'm primarily after. Based on GH&C's other aros, I'm hoping one of them works. I'm thinking I'll even supplement my cellar with the Cherry Cream Flake.

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

marconi

May 17, 2019
England

Iam sure they use CR Flake as the base Virginia they then add a cherry topping.I can't remember if it had any added lakeland essence.I had decided to revisit this blend so I have another sample coming tomorrow with an order so I will let you know the answer.

Reactions: BROBS and rushx9

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL

So here they are:

2 and 3 are the same. 5 and 6 are the same. I have not seen 4 listed but, I would bet on it being another naming convention for 2 and 3. I have smoked and cellar them all. If you like one of these, I do not think that, you will dislike any of the others. If you are just getting a couple of oz to try, I would sample them all. Exclusive Top Black Cherry (by this or any other name) is IMO the best cherry blend on the market. It has a real, non-candied cherry taste and you can still thoroughly enjoy the great VA that lies beneath. The Cherry Cream Flake is a nice runner up. It does not have as much upfront cherry and is, as the name states, a bit creamier. Cherry Vanilla is a ribbon (perhaps a flavored Kendal Gold) and just adds a distinct vanilla flavor to the cherry. It will have the burning characteristics of a ribbon while, the ETBC is cavendish cut and the CCF is a long flake similar to CR. There probably is an extremely subtle Lakeland in all of these. I believe it to be so mild that many may not detect it and I can not see it ghosting any pipe. I should mention that ETBC is really a true English style VA cavendish, black and delicious.

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
I smoked a bowl of CC Flake today I could not detect any Lakeland essence.What I did get is a tart cherry sherbert taste that explodes on the back of your tongue. Apart from that you get a lovely GH virginia flake.

Reactions: BROBS and rushx9
Status
Not open for further replies.