PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Do you think it was a casing / topping they added, or somehow naturally occurring
Some of it was fermentation. Some of it was acetic acid used as a mold inhibitor. The vinegar generally evaporated off when smoked. Or you could open a tin a week or two prior to smoking, and vent it for a minute a day to remove the vinegar and reveal the fine Virginia underneath.
I didn't jump on the McClelland bandwagon until fairly late. I liked some of their Grand Orientals and their red Virginias. So I don't have a lot of McClelland cellared, around 30 lbs, but that will do just fine. There are a few of their bulks that I wish I had stocked, or stocked more, but I'm not hurting.

So many other great blends to smoke.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
No casing or topping on their Virginia blends, but they did produce a lot of aromatic tobacco. Pipestud.com usually has a few tins for every week. Unfortunately pipestud is down for the next weeks so he can get in compliance with state law for selling tobacco.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
As much as people used to rag on the ketchup/vinegar nose I’ve never noticed it in the taste much beyond the charring light. Sutliff 515RC-1, on the other hand, tastes like vinegar well into the bowl.

The distinctive aroma when cracking open a McClelland tin causes a Pavlovian drool response in me.

Vinegar or whatever was part of their aging process and to my mind was part of their recipe for success with VAs. Fermentation? I guess some were more sensitive to this. This complaint has been on the forums forever and seems no more justified than bashing Lakelands and pipesandcigars.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
This complaint has been on the forums forever and seems no more justified than bashing Lakelands and pipesandcigars.

I agree it's been going forever and It's a boring debate.. that much is certain. Not imaginary or unjustified but definitely boring. I'll leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.