Buffalo Trace V Wild Turkey V Jim Beam White Label.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
New Cigars
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
Get some Ol Grandad! ?
Actually the OGD BiB isn't too bad. It's a whole different animal from the 80 proof stuff. It's not great, but it's worth grabbing a bottle to see if you like it. For my money though the Evan Williams BiB is way to go.

Reactions: Bengel

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
@mawnansmiff very pleased the Wild Turkey suited you. If you can find the 101 in Bourbon or Rye definitely get some. Briarbucks suggestion of Old Forrester is spot on. You sound like you have your work cut out for you;)

I heard WT was releasing the 101 rye again but I've been looking and haven't seen it in over a year of searching local stores. The WT 80 proof rye is probably my favorite rye under $40-$50 and I love WT 101 bourbon so I gotta try the 101 rye.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
I heard WT was releasing the 101 rye again but I've been looking and haven't seen it in over a year of searching local stores. The WT 80 proof rye is probably my favorite rye under $40-$50 and I love WT 101 bourbon so I gotta try the 101 rye.
Yea, we have it in Idaho and that and Old Forrester make some good Manhattans! I am also waiting for Rare Bird Rye this year. Have you tried Wild Turkey Rare Bird Bourbon?

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
Yea, we have it in Idaho and that and Old Forrester make some good Manhattans! I am also waiting for Rare Bird Rye this year. Have you tried Wild Turkey Rare Bird Bourbon?

I've had the Wild Turkey Rare Breed and it's one of the few more expensive Bourbons I'll buy. There are so many good Bourbons for under $30 I have a hard time justifying spending more. But the Russel's Reserve and Rare Breed are exceptions for me, they're worth every penny.

Usually once a bourbon costs more than $40 I just start thinking what kinda scotch I could get for that money. I'm a big fan of peat so I'd rather have Laphroaig and a WT 101 than just one more expensive bourbon.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
Weller is the tipple of choice at our deer camp for bourbon (Jameson otherwise). Not anywhere as sweet as Jim Beam and about as smooth as can be had for the price point. Also pairs well with any number of Vapers.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Wahey Bengel, so pleased you found this thread :)

I'm still enjoying alternating nights with Bulleit Frontier & Jim Beam Double Oak. These two are certainly an improvement over the previous three though that is not to say they were poor performers.

Then it's the turn of Maker's Mark & Old Forester followed by Wild Turkey 101 & Woodford Reserve. I actually had the tiniest sip of each when they arrived and was mightily impressed.

Once through that little lot it will be Jack Daniel's Rye (which I've enjoyed in the past) versus Jim Beam Pre Prohibition Style Rye!

After that comes a couple of Irish Whiskies!

Skydog, I looked into Wild Turkey Rare Breed but at £50 a pop I think that might have to wait until I have a better grasp of bourbon. Regards the Wild Turkey Rye, I too can only find the 40% abv version here in the UK.

With so many good offers on spirits from Amazon at the moment my kitchen is starting to look like a public bar!

Thanks all for the tips.

Regards,

Jay.

• Love

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I find the Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage to be a very nice pour in the under $30 category. Woodford Reserve is a favorite and the double oaked version is interesting, but ultimately had too much wood for my taste.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I find the Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage to be a very nice pour in the under $30 category."

Troutface, I just checked on Amazon over here and it is priced at £45 ☹

"This goes on sale for $38"

Bengel, if it was priced at £38 over here than I would snap up a bottle but at £50, not a chance. Roll on Black Friday when I will be checking prices again.

Regards,

Jay.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
"I find the Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage to be a very nice pour in the under $30 category."

Troutface, I just checked on Amazon over here and it is priced at £45 ☹

"This goes on sale for $38"

Bengel, if it was priced at £38 over here than I would snap up a bottle but at £50, not a chance. Roll on Black Friday when I will be checking prices again.

Regards,

Jay.
You should try it at £50, you will not be disappointed ?

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
It seems I read 'fake news' regarding Jim Beam White Label being aged 8 years. According to most sites it is aged for 4 years.

"Jim Beam bourbon undergoes distillation at lower temperatures and is distilled to no more than 62.5%, the White label is aged for four years and has quite a high percentage of rye in the mash bill."

"(Beam ages its barrels in rackhouses in several locations throughout the state.) The best-selling Jim Beam white label, aged four years, tastes a lot like other entry-level bourbons."

8 years or 4 years, it's still a pretty good tipple.

Regards,

Jay.
Yes, basic Jim Beam white label is 4 years old.
They do make a 7 year in a white label too.

For a few bucks more you can get Jim Beam Black (label) which is 8 years old. It’s a terrific value in this Kentuckians opinion.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Just ordered Woodford Reserve Small Batch and Wild Turkey 101!

"Wild Turkey 101 Bourbon offers an explosion of vanilla and caramel flavours with notes of honey, brown sugar, oranges and a hint of tobacco. Its high proof gives it a bolder flavour."

"Woodford Reserve Distiller’s Select is a small-batch bourbon from Kentucky. It is a straight bourbon made on Kentucky's oldest distillery site. Bourbon has complex aromas of dried fruit, vanilla and tobacco spice, followed by flavours of toffee and spice with a long, warming finish."

Tobacco flavoured bourbon eh, not Lakeland I hope :oops:

Can't wait for 7th May to roll around :)

Regards,

Jay.

Both good choices.

These things are a little tricky outside of the US but for the most part I see as much as $10 USD variance vs what we pay here.

So I searched Master of Malt (on your side of the pond) where I used to order from until some rule changes ended that. Setting an upper limit of $50 USD I would suggest looking for Eagle Rare 10 year and Four Roses Single Barrel. I didn't see Angel's Envy which goes for $48 USD where I'm at. Also Bulliett Rye.

Two that I don't recommend because I think the others are better are Knob Creek and Four Roses Small Batch. Both are good but for the money I just think the others are much better.

One that I saw on MoM's website (and it's encouraging to see it overseas) is a brand called FEW. Now I will say this brand has several varieties, is unique in flavor, and therefore isn't for everyone but if you get a chance to taste it don't hesitate. My wife hates it but I love it although she mostly doesn't care for how strong it is.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

davek

Mar 20, 2014
Y'all drink some good Bourbon. "Back in the day" (decades ago, before they taught history in school :) ) I drank more Bourbon than I do now. I liked Yellowstone, which is no longer made, for my everyday (cheap) Bourbon.

Jack Daniels was all the rage then, as now. Although I loved Jack as well, I would often tell people how Old Forester was a superior drink... for the same cost as Jack in the lower proof and that the 100 proof was the nectar of the gods.

I make most of my own booze now, but when I buy a Bourbon it's generally Evan Willams. I got my ladyfriend liking their HoneyBourbon.

I know Jack is not technically Bourbon, but that's like sparkling wines not being Champagne. It's Bourbon.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"For a few bucks more you can get Jim Beam Black (label) which is 8 years old. It’s a terrific value in this Kentuckians opinion."

Brian, since my last post I have purchased several other bourbons & rye whiskies. Regards Jim Beam Black, I like that (only had it on two consecutive evenings) but much prefer their Devil's Cut, far more flavour for me.

Regards Wild Turkey 101, I found it to be just a stronger regular Wild Turkey (which I suppose it is) and thought it nothing special but certainly tasty.

I find Old Forester to be a super bourbon and have stashed several bottles as it was on offer on Amazon.

As for Jim Beam White Label, it's been on offer at my local supermarket for some while and I have now accumulated 19 bottles of the stuff, mostly 70cl but some 1 litre bottles!

I am currently awaiting arrival of a bottle of Knob Creek so have that to look forward to though I suspect it's just another version of White Label (exactly the same mashbill).

My favourite at the moment is Maker's Mark, I really adore that stuff!

Regards,

Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.