PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umberto

Lurker
Apr 11, 2020
What it is is simple. No nonsense virginia...Is there any perique in it? Probably one in every 40 flakes...Sample size...is a 24 ounce bulk I've been working on. So far about 6-8 ounces into it.

Cubed cut, smokes hot, tough to keep lit. Mixed cubed and rubbed, gets the flavors intensified. Rubbed out, very light simply thick whispy clouds of smoke.

Flavor, slightly caramel profile, I do believe I taste a sugary licorice based casing/topping. I want to make clear that the flavor of licorice seems present. When I say licorice I don't mean the candy you buy.

The licorice herb has a pleasant sweet taste when made in tea. It tastes good when it is present. i enjoy this flake with morning coffee, it's easy going. I think it works best for me rubbed out and loosely packed, smokes sweeter and mellower. Sipping or puffing it just works.

Just because it is one dimensional and mild doesn't mean it's bad. It's rather pleasant...probably one of the most pleasant blends I've had without high expectations. It's a great value and fine stuff. Bulk recommended, tin is just not worth the cost. Have fun happy piping.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Just because it is one dimensional and mild doesn't mean it's bad. It's rather pleasant...
I haven't tried this blend but this is the way I think about some other simple virginia blends. Sometimes I just want a simple smoke.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I love this VA flake too. I use it to experiment sometimes. I’ll stick about a dozen flakes in a small mason jar and put a teaspoon or so of rum, scotch, etc... Let them sit for 6 months or a year and you’ve got an excellent smoke. It provides a great blank VA palate to work with. I also enjoy it plain as it comes.

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
Iam also a fan of this VaPer blend it has enough complexity to keep me interested.

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Comoys #4 is so good that I can't even justify buying tinned Virginia flakes except when I'm curious about a new blend. I personally am not impressed by the ever popular PS bulk offerings. I've tried the twist flake and the Navy flake and did not like them very much. The topping on the twist flake is too much. I haven't tried bullseye flake, but I have tried comoys #7, which are coins too and they are great.

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I bought a pound late last year, and it was too sharp for me fresh. I'm having a bowl right now 5 months later, and it has mellowed out slightly. I'm looking forward to trying the bulk of it in another year or two.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Comoys #4 is so good that I can't even justify buying tinned Virginia flakes except when I'm curious about a new blend. I personally am not impressed by the ever popular PS bulk offerings. I've tried the twist flake and the Navy flake and did not like them very much. The topping on the twist flake is too much. I haven't tried bullseye flake, but I have tried comoys #7, which are coins too and they are great.
This is interesting to me, because I have tried both, and that caused me to wonder if Comoy’s is just tinned Stokkebeye. Seeing that you had a totally different experience is making me think about revisiting for a more side-to-side comparison.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I'm a burley devotee, but the simplicity and nuance of this one sounds very good to me.
I’m pretty much only smoke burley, or burley-forward blends. I purchased some of this last year and thought it was crap. However after letting it sit for about 6months, and drying it out well before smoking....wow. If I am gonna smoke VA it’s gonna be this.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have some LNF that is getting some significant age on it that might be getting pretty good. It was tasty fresh, but not attention grabbing. It is true that some blends I just don't like will blossom into a whole new experience if I jar them up and wait.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I have some LNF that is getting some significant age on it that might be getting pretty good. It was tasty fresh, but not attention grabbing. It is true that some blends I just don't like will blossom into a whole new experience if I jar them up and wait.
Have you tried the newminster 400 and 403? Price wise they are unbeatable and again perfect for a change of pace

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
This is interesting to me, because I have tried both, and that caused me to wonder if Comoy’s is just tinned Stokkebeye. Seeing that you had a totally different experience is making me think about revisiting for a more side-to-side comparison.
Although there seems to be a large group of people who believe this, I have both and have smoked them side by side and my opinion is they are not the same.

Reactions: marconi

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Although there seems to be a large group of people who believe this, I have both and have smoked them side by side and my opinion is they are not the same.
If you want tinned Stokkebye for 3x the price buy Dobie’s.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
A forum member included some Newminster Round Slices in a trade. I immediately got a bulk purchase into jars.

One of my B&M's had a tin of Comoy's Cask #4 for sharing. I also immediately got a bulk package jarred up.

Both are good staples and can turn into exceptional aged smokes.

FWIW, I find the Cask #4 a bit more interesting than the PS Navy Flake.

The Bullseye Flake Goes from Meh to Great to Holy Shit as it ages.

1588527850263.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.