PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
There were no final reviews on the Best Brown thread... make me wonder if it went well. Any thoughts here?

Also the OGS seems like a good idea :)

I’ve got some Union Square I have no real love for that I might give a stove...
Haven't cracked the OGS yet. We started wheat harvest today so I'll be spending a lot of time in my pickup which probably means more pipe time. I'll bring the stoved and unstoved with me this week and report back.

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
Haven't cracked the OGS yet. We started wheat harvest today so I'll be spending a lot of time in my pickup which probably means more pipe time. I'll bring the stoved and unstoved with me this week and report back.
thank very much

Pics if you can would be great, if you can. Did you stove it in the tin or move it to a mason jar?

Reactions: lightmybriar

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
There were no final reviews on the Best Brown thread... make me wonder if it went well. Any thoughts here?

Also the OGS seems like a good idea :)

I’ve got some Union Square I have no real love for that I might give a stove...
because I haven't opened it yet.. it will be two weeks tomorrow and I might wait another week.

Reactions: B.Fee

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
This had me intrigued and so I stoved a tin of CRF over the weekend. I opened it after the 2 hours and some cooling time and noticed under the lid there was quite a bit of condensation which hopefully doesn't cause any I'll will to the tobacco.

I dumped all the tobacco out on a coffee filter to dry up a bit, then took a bowl full to dry further before filling a bowl. The smell was like toasted almonds, or maybe even more of the burnt bread aromas. The tobacco was a more mellow smoke, with minimal harsh notes that CRF tends to have when first opening a tin.

One thing that aged tobacco has and this doesn't is that fermentation smell, like a nice malty beer. (I still dream about that 2010 Opening Night I smoked a few years back). It's good tobacco stoved, and fun for something different, but I'll let mother nature hopefully do her thing to age my other tins naturally.
the moisture was in the tobacco already...
and the tobacco needs to rest and start fermentation again before you open it and smoke it. That's why you wait 2-3 weeks at least.

Reactions: B.Fee

B.Fee

Lifer
Nov 28, 2019
Honolulu / Colorado
My thought on trying a oven stoved tin was to see if it would "age" a fresh tin. I tried CD CRF as it is a tobacco I like but for me has some rough spots that older tins of red Virginia doesn't. Upon opening both tins the unstoved tin smelled as expected, the stoved tin had a very chocolate malt smell . The stoved tin was just a little darker than the unstoved. After a clay bowl of each the stoved tobacco was a little bit less rough around the edges but to me tasted the same as the unstoved tin. For me most noticed change was tin note.
I will probably not stove "cook" anymore tobacco and just wait for time to do the things it does so well. ✌20200508_080425.jpg20200508_080742.jpg20200508_080842.jpg20200508_081030.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.