PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erehwesle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2020
Sylva, NC
I always thought, frankly, since I'm already a writer and English professor and tend towards the tweed blazer / leather elbow patches school of fashion, that pipe smoking was a little over the top, but as I get a bit older I care less what other people think of me!

My grandfather always smoked pipes, and I enjoyed the smell. Recently I have occasionally had a cigar out at a cigar bar in my town, but while enjoyable smokes, I don't love the smell and it just seems less elegant. So rather than buy cigars I thought I might try a pipe.

It looks like the kind of fun hobby I enjoy, also into fountain pens, typewriters, and tea, so it has the fussiness, endless new things to pick up, trying different blends etc.... (my tongue is a little in my cheek here, but only a little)

I did think I would stop and read and discuss a little bit before spending any money, and have a couple of questions, though I have been lurking around a bit.

So it looks to me like a Missouri Meerschaum cob pipe is a good inexpensive first choice. I like the way bent pipes look, and the Elf Cobbitt looks like a fairly reasonable cost to me to try this whole thing out, I also don't hate the look of it, and enjoy the Tolkien reference, so there is that.

As far as tobacco goes, I know from drinking tea that while flavored teas like Earl Grey are awesome, starting out with pure strains, like a Darjeeling, Asssam or Keemun is the way to go when you are learning, as flavors can be overwhelming. What types of blends would you start with? I know my grandfather used to smoke Peterson Old Dublin, 'cause I've got some tins lying around somewhere. I've also heard good things about Cornell & Diehl. They have a blend called 'Haunted Bookstore' that I am tempted to buy just because of the name. That's not all that systematic, but heck.

Would it be worth getting two different blends to try? I know people reserve different pipes for different blends, but could I smoke two that are somewhat close in the same pipe?

I haven't found a real one stop shopping location that discusses the different cuts, and types of pipe tobacco, it seems a little more esoteric than tea, not that i mind, esoterica is a feature not a bug for me.

Anything else y'all suggest for a first time smoker, other than just buy a pipe and tobacco and dive right in? Should I get a pipe tool, or will my swiss army knife suffice?

I'm less than worried about the details of packing and smoking as there are a metric ton of YouTube videos on how to, and most of them look like just don't pack it too tight to me, anyhow.

Cheers,

TBS

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
Welcome!

A cob is a fine place to start but if you are opting for a cobbit you'll need to get churchwarden pipe cleaners as regulars won't fit, so keep that in mind.

As far as tobacco I'd suggest starting with OTC blends. Carter Hall for cooler days and Sir Walter Raleigh or Prince Albert on warmer days. The cool/warm days has more to do with my preferences for certain flavors in certain weather. Carter Hall is Chocolate and nutty, warming flavors on a cool day. Sir Walter Raleigh and Prince Albert are sweeter for warmer days. OTC blends are inexpensive, easy to come by and great teachers! I would highly suggest starting with them before moving on to more complex blends. They are plenty enjoyable as an added bonus. They'll teach you to smoke cool and dry.

I'd get a tamper, but no need to spend much. a $2 nail tamp will do just fine. Have fun and enjoy!

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
163F5529-E7F8-4DF6-AD42-39DC93BFF921.jpeg
A cob is fine to start out with for sure. I’d second the Burley recommendation of Carter Hall/Prince Albert, but keep in mind that they are flavored. If you’re looking for “pure tobacco taste” then I’d steer you toward a couple of the MacBaren HH blends, particularly HH Pure Virginia and HH Burley Flake. They are fine representations of their respective leaf types. Be sure to do a bit of looking on how to best smoke flakes, I’d recommend rubbing them out and making sure you let them dry before firing them up for both ease of smoking and for maximum flavor to begin with. Some pipe cleaners and a golf tee, nail, or Czech tool will suffice for accessories to begin with.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Any pipe will do a cob or briar. But the rest of my suggestion is going to sound unorthodox...pick up some aged tins approx 3 yes old which are not much more expensive than a fresh tin. Aged Virginia or Virginia perique blends is mostly what I speaking of. My reasoning is this, several years I went buying tins from others recommendations I have found that A) I haven't tried many of them yet and 2) I don't really care for of the ones I did try. I watched tons of youtube videos and that particular fellow enjoyed Latakia..I am not much of a fan, but guess what I got em..just sitting in the cellar. Lat blends age but not to the extent of Virginia's and so, try some older Virginia's that are still in production today find the ones that are awesome to you and then cellar them up.

Theres usually someone on here selling something old, don't go nuts unless you want/can afford to and buy up McClelland's and Esoterica Stonehaven ect... Are they good they good sure is other stuff out there good...hell yes!

If you follow this recommendation, you will not waste as much money seeking tobacco happiness.

Oh, and welcome to the boards!

Black Forest Piper

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2020
Colorado, USA
Hi from Colorado Springs again! I have a cobbit pipe and love it. I don't want to make a pipe addict out of you, but don't give up on the pipe too quickly. If you try it once and it's terrible, that's to be expected. I believe it's a rare soul who tries and loves it the first go round. I was slow to take to it, trying it once a month for about six months before really settling in. Spent about $40 during that time on various blends until I discovered our local brick & mortar does a deal where you pay less than a dollar and fill your pipe in store with one of their many samples!IMG_5374.jpg

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
Welcome TBS to a fun passion (and this forum). I don't have any (good) advice except to knock around here a bit, ask lots of questions (until someone tells you to stop), and visit TobaccoReviews.com: The largest collection of pipe tobacco reviews on the internet. - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/ One of our members, JimInks, is a frequent and trusted reviewer of tobaccos on that site, and it might be smart to see if you like what he likes. That way you might avoid making some bad choices down the road. We review tobacco here, of course, and there are lots of experienced pipers to ask about blends.

Personally, I don't care for tobacco that has been doctored up with extras and so lean to straight tobacco blends Escudo, St. James, and Peterson Flake, but each to their own.

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
I also did get some of the Haunted Bookstore blend, just because I liked the name.... The reviews of it were mixed, but it seems to be a lot like a Prince Albert.
Haunted Bookshop is a great tobacco in my opinion but one that tends to inspire debate (some love it and some can't stand it). As with anything else, just cellar it if you don't like it...You might like that one in particular once you've gained some experience. The flavors are lost without decent technique in my experience and if smoked too hot the Perique dominates and all it tastes like is bitter and sour. Which is why I think some people don't like it. When smoked slowly the sweet nut and bitter notes balance really nicely.

Prince Albert is a great blend to learn with. Once you can smoke it slow, cool and dry you'll be on your way.

I'm still learning myself, hopefully you can benefit from my fresh experience. Enjoy!

Erehwesle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2020
Sylva, NC
Haunted Bookshop is a great tobacco in my opinion but one that tends to inspire debate (some love it and some can't stand it). As with anything else, just cellar it if you don't like it...You might like that one in particular once you've gained some experience. The flavors are lost without decent technique in my experience and if smoked too hot the Perique dominates and all it tastes like is bitter and sour. Which is why I think some people don't like it. When smoked slowly the sweet nut and bitter notes balance really nicely.

Prince Albert is a great blend to learn with. Once you can smoke it slow, cool and dry you'll be on your way.

I'm still learning myself, hopefully you can benefit from my fresh experience. Enjoy!

I mean.... Its called Haunted Bookshop... had to get it! ;)

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I hope it works out as well for you as it has for me. I think you’ll find it complements your other thoughtful rituals perfectly, especially the fountain pen.

Pipes slow you down, make you concentrate on your breathing, how and what you’re holding in your hands, and establishing rituals for use and cleaning. Pipes are pens and blends are inks. For me, the accompanying beverage is like the paper. You’ll find combinations that work and ones that won’t, and, like fountain pens, the amount of trial and error to get there must be part of the fun, or else you’ll miss out.

Good luck! I look forward to reading about your exploration.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from the Central Coast of California! Ask any question, make any observation….

I had the tweeds, and one jacket festooned with obligatory elbow patches. I also put leather trim on my pockets so I didn't wear them out playing pocket pool. My dean of students was my mentor, may he r.i.p..

You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth. Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details, which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Welcome from Ohio! If you’re into the more “fussy” things in life, you’ll love the pipe. The ritual, and endless combinations of pipe/blends/drinks/smoking environments is why there are forums dedicated to it!

I think you’ll like the OTC blends, I started with Carter Hall and still enjoy it from time to time...but don’t be shy with trying things, it wasn’t until I bought a tin of Balkan Sasieni(decent, affordable English blend) on a whim that I really “got” smoking a pipe and fell off the deep end.

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
Welcome aboard. I tried pipe smoking five years ago moving from cigars. I just didn't have the patience or proper mentality for the fidget factor. Lighting a cigar was about as simple as it gets. I have been rewarded with some sublime moments after a long self discovery and education in pipe smoking. There are many many topics to be found here that will help you shave some time off the pipe internship. You will eventually find the path that works for you.

Now I get the enjoyment from both cigars and pipe smoking. I'm relatively new to this hobby myself, just over a year and extremely happy that I stayed with it. I got home from work and have just had a very relaxing, wonderful evening attributing a lot of it to a pipe and some tobacco.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
Welcome aboard. I’m just starting out again myself. I tried Haunted Bookshop when I was first starting out (got it because of the name) and didn’t care for it (tasted like Marlboros to me), but since recently getting back into pipe smoking I’ve thought about picking up an ounce to give it another try.
Cornell & Diehl has a series “The Old Ones” that are inspired by/pay homage to HP Lovecraft if it’s your thing. I haven’t tried them yet so I can’t give any recommendations on a particular blend.

You mentioned you drink tea? Have you tried Ambessa “The Earl of Harlem” blend by Marcus Samuelsson/Harney &Sons? It’s a smokey earl grey that I enjoy sometimes with my pipe. Bit of acquired taste but good.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Welcome from Washington state, the original American home of the Covid -19 pandemic.

I am going to go against the grain and recommend a briar pipe instead of a cob. This is a personal preference and obviously many people do enjoy them, but in more than 50 years of pipe smoking and several attempts I have never found them satisfactory. Less expensive pipes from Savinelli, Stanwell and similar brands would be my choice.

As for tobacco, I would suggest you add a straight Virginia and an English mixture such as Squadron Leader to your initial choices to begin to get an idea of the range of tobaccos available.

Status
Not open for further replies.