Who In History Would You Most Like To Share A Bowl With?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Some interesting answers here. As a humble craftsman, likely to be anonymous to history, I think maybe one of my ilk from the past. Perhaps Sam Maloof, or one of Chippendale's formen.

If language was no barrier (which it doesn't seem to be) maybe one of the Japanese temple builders, or someone who worked on one of the medevil cathedrals that took generations to build.

Last thought - one of the chocktau Indians who first started pressing tobacco in tree stumps.

Reactions: renfield

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
An addition to my initial three, and this may not be popular, would be Adolph Hitler.
Mad as it sounds, I would dearly like to know why he held so many folks with such utter contempt and knowingly wasted so many good and innocent lives just to satisfy his delusions. I suspect I might chew through my pipe bit in so doing but I'd love to know what made him tick.
I have a feeling you'd leave the interview somewhat disappointed. Hitler was a typical and utterly petty human being lifted to infamy by circumstance. You can cross paths with anyone of his ilk on the street any given day, and not confuse their paranoid self-aggrandizing ramblings with greatness on any level.

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
I have a feeling you'd leave the interview somewhat disappointed. Hitler was a typical and utterly petty human being lifted to infamy by circumstance. You can cross paths with anyone of his ilk on the street any given day, and not confuse their paranoid self-aggrandizing ramblings with greatness on any level.
Plus he had a silly mustache. Owned.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"As a humble craftsman, likely to be anonymous to history, I think maybe one of my ilk from the past. Perhaps Sam Maloof, or one of Chippendale's formen[sic]."

Chilli, then how about the astonishing wood carver Grinlin Gibbons?

Never heard of him? Look him up on Google and tell me your jaw doesn't drop when you see his work!

Regards,

Jay.?

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
"As a humble craftsman, likely to be anonymous to history, I think maybe one of my ilk from the past. Perhaps Sam Maloof, or one of Chippendale's formen[sic]."

Chilli, then how about the astonishing wood carver Grinlin Gibbons?

Never heard of him? Look him up on Google and tell me your jaw doesn't drop when you see his work!

Regards,

Jay.?

That's very impressive work! Put him on the list to have a bowl with. Thanks for sharing him with me.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
My wife's dad back when he was smoking a pipe. Mark Twain on a river boat. Albert Einstein while having a thought. Benjamin Franklin while flying a kite. My kids when they are old enough to make the choice. :)

Erehwesle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2020
Sylva, NC
Probably Tennyson, Colderidge, or William Butler Yeats.

Colderidge would likely spike the pipe, darn opium fiend that he was....

Reactions: Bowie

boston

Jun 27, 2018
Boston
...and if the Inklings and CS declined to speak with me, or if I could choose more people, I'd add George Orwell and Ernest Hemingway. I admire their writing and believe they were deep thinkers with brilliant minds.

Reactions: docpierce

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
I’d like to hang out at lunch with the luminaries of the Algonquin Round Table. Barring that, Papa Hemingway.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Now deceased member of Parliament Tony Benn. He would have had some great stories about being in the Labour government during the tumultuous 1970's.
Unlike former Prime Minister Harold Wilson whose pipe smoking was an affectation Tony actually loved his pipe, he was never without it.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I would like to share a bowl with the man on the CSS H.L. Hunley, C. Lumpkin, had he actually survived the attack on the Housatonic. A pipe was found in his clothing so he was a pipe smoker. It would be fascinating to hear directly from him what went on in that submarine during that attack.

CL Lumpkin Bio

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
I'd have to say my Uncle Bernard (long deceased). It was his pair of Grabows sitting on the shelf of his Library Cabinet that caught my eye. I used to sneak them out to smell and pretend I was smoking them.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
Kurt Vonnegut, Hemingway, Bing Crosby, any member of the Rat Pack, any member of the Beatles, Bugsy Siegel, Teddy Roosevelt, my grandfather... I’d love to smoke a bowl with a regular person from the Middle Ages, Tudor, or American colonial period just to shoot the shit and know what they’re everyday life was like.

Status
Not open for further replies.