PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Mostly, for me, it’s “dessert”...Sometimes, it’s my evening drive home.
After dinner, a nice pour of “brown water”, and a bowl.
Love the various flavors of all the varieties of pipe tobacco, and I do enjoy all of the various genres of pipe tobacco blends, and finding new ones...
This is primarily a solo pursuit...
So, for me: taste, quiet time, reflection, enjoyment.
Cigars for social times, pipes for quiet times...

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I used to smoke a lot of cigarettes, and so do most of the people I associate with. I always explained it like this:

A cigarette is like having a hot dog off the roller thing at the gas station

A cigar is like a great steak dinner at a nice steakhouse

A pipe is like a seven course meal at a gourmet restaraunt

That’s how I’ve always thought about it.

I also explain that it’s a way to slow down, relax and have a bit of decompression in a day.

I’ll also compare why I smoke a pipe with why people taste wine, craft beer, or liquors.

When all of that fails, and people still look at me like a dog cocking its head, I just tell them that I smoke a pipe because I like it.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I used to smoke a lot of cigarettes, and so do most of the people I associate with. I always explained it like this:

A cigarette is like having a sandwich off the fridge in the gas station

A cigar is like a great steak dinner at a nice steakhouse

A pipe is like a seven course meal at a gourmet restaurant

That’s how I’ve always thought about it.

I also explain that it’s a way to slow down, relax and have a bit of decompression in a day.

I’ll also compare why I smoke a pipe with why people taste wine, craft beer, or liquors.

All of the above, great analogies too (bolded, slightly edited), I'll nick it for my own use if you don't mind!

Reactions: condorlover1

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I don't know, I never gave it a thought this way. I guess first of all it gives me an excuse for using tobacco instead of my old time vice, cigarette smoking. Second of all, and I suppose equally important, it gives me a chance to slow down. I live a very busy life, hectic, lots of stress, so when smoking a pipe I get out of it all and detach myself from the mundane. Also, the pipe and often times a good cigar, gives me some moments of introspection that I could not replicate in any other circumstances.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Because masturbation became boring.

I masturbate because I'm the only one with low enough standards to have sex with me.

The pipe is a supberb nicotine delivery system.

There it is. I've smoked cigarettes (long ago), cigars (in my 30's and early 40's... as a habit), and now a pipe. I've always said that if you quit for at least a year, whatever nicotine delivery you start back on is what you will crave.

I had not smoked cigarettes in years when I started cigars at around 30. I had absolutely zero cravings for cigarettes and actually did not like the smell during the time I smoked cigars. I also went to the gym and did cardio which would have been impossible while smoking 'grettes.

After a couple decades not smoking at all, I picked up the pipe because cigars had become trendy and it was inexpensive. I still like cigars now, but prefer a pipe. Realistically, enjoyment of a specific nicotine deliver system is partially based on addiction. Whatever you form that addiction to is what you will enjoy.

The ritual of pipe smoking is also a plus. Put a pin in that for another thread someday.

Mark Twain said that quiting smoking was easy, he'd done it a hundred times.