PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdb67

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
I am finding I really dig lightweight clenchers. I just bought an estate Astley's pipe...a nice rusticated billiard with F/T stem. I always put Insultab food-grade heat shrink on pipes I want to clench to protect the bit. Anyway...this pipe is only 1 oz. It is so light and sits in my mouth so easy. I also have a couple of group 3-4 Dunhill's a bit over an oz and a small Dr. Bob at 1.2oz. I have one more pipe in this category I want to try...Eltang Basic pipe that I think is like .7 oz.DSCN0579.JPG

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
How about a nice Rossi Piccolo 8601 25.51g 43 bucks

Rossi Vittoria 8602 39.69g. for 48 bucks

My first was a Sav 602, which is light and comfortable...87 bucks or so depending on finish.

HTH

M

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lots of good ideas in posts above. Just to throw a few more in the mix, the Stanwell straight bulldog 32 is light weight and handy; Chacom and BC make various pipes that would fill the including bent billiards; and the Savinelli Hercules Oom-Paul has a good big bowl but is not heavy, and feels lighter for the U-turn bend. Nording, Big Ben, and Genod all make some lighter weight pipes.

Reactions: BlueMaxx

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Reactions: Pipe Daddy

Pipe Daddy

Might Stick Around
Oct 16, 2019
I’m a very big fan of BriarWorks pipes. Made in America, can be had for under $100 (use the discount code PIPESMAG on their website for 10% off), and their acrylic saddle stems are extremely comfortable. My best clencher is a straight apple by them, but I bet their bent pipes would be great too.
You are right about acrylic stems. They look nice, they last long and they don't oxidize.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I was going to suggest this exact pipe ? I just bought one on IPSD. The Brigham bent dublin also is light and clenches great.

Aug 1, 2012
I've never met a better pipe for clenching than my 2 Oom-Paul/Hungarian pipes. I hated the shape until I picked up a Sasieni Four-Dot Oom-Paul for cheap to clean up and sell. I ended up hanging on to it because it hangs so well. I supplemented it with a Savinelli (one of the cheaper ones). The Sav isn't quite as nice to smoke but it's so close as to make no difference if you're looking at budget. You don't need to spend Sasieni money to get a good one.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
'embers, I don't usually like such unusual pieces, but I like this one. The differentness is in the shank extension, of course, distinctly calling attention to itself in parallel to the bowl and echoing by flaring out at bottom and top the same forward flaring at top and bottom of the front of the bowl. So this extended and pronounced embellishment is made to fit the primary design, standing out less but still quite distinct. The blast is awesome.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Peterson 03’s are my all time favorite bent pipes (as you can probably tell from my handle), and they clench very well. Peterson 313’s and Savinelli 614’s also make excellent jaw hangers.

Slowpony

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2019
NC
Moonshine makes an oom paul I think is pretty light. It might be sold out now but I imagine they’ll make more.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I didn't see the "pipeadelic" in the title, suggesting that the conventions of reality softened, warped or changed by a substance applied to the shaping of this pipe; a free-flowing (volcanic) interpretation.

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
I like to let my pipe sit freehand for as long as possible. The only pipe I own light enough is an old Grabow. Doesnt hurt my teeth and smokes well. I'd like to add a full bent though to my rotation. I do prefer saddle, but will consider any. Any suggestions on super light, affordable (under 100 bucks) full bent? To give some reference, my Peterson Killarny red is a bit heavy. Not the XL. Love the shape but cant last long freehand.

Prepare for heresy...:oops:

Have you given any thought to a bent Falcon with the dental bit?

Very affordable, plenty of flexibility.

M

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I didn't see the "pipeadelic" in the title, suggesting that the conventions of reality softened, warped or changed by a substance applied to the shaping of this pipe; a free-flowing (volcanic) interpretation.
That ones not the Pipeadelic volcano, this one is.

20200523_193343.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.