PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Today here in Minnesota, the Governor classified grocery store employees as "emergency personnel":

In Minnesota, Walz's classification allows grocery store workers to be eligible for child care services for their children while the schools are closed statewide. He listed "food distribution workers" as "tier 2" emergency personnel.

"Care for children of educators, gas and electric utility workers, food distribution personnel, water treatment staff, and others outlined below is essential to ensuring the public continues to receive these vital services," Walz noted in an executive order.

He added, "Districts should make every effort to provide care for school-age children of workers in the areas below, if they are able to do so while adhering to the Minnesota Department of Health's social distancing guidelines."

Huh... interesting. These are strange times, man. Very strange. It's certainly nice to know grocery store employees are being recognized, but I'll be more happy when things return to normal.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I don't think that is an overstatement...it could very likely be the case if things continue the way they are. But, IMO, it won't be due to this virus...it will be due to the extreme manner in which the "response" to it is being conducted, far disproportionate to the reality of the situation...and it may end up destroying more lives than the virus would have if we had done nothing.

The numbers simply do not justify the hysterical reaction to this IMO. The vast majority of alleged cases, even in the supposedly hardest hit areas (such as Italy where the average age of the deaths attributed to this has been reported to be 79) are elderly people who were already chronically ill. This is not really any different than the yearly "ordinary" flu.

If someone dies who tested positive (assuming the test is accurate) the death is attributed to Covid19, but this is no different than if someone with poor health and a weak immune system (often due in large part to the pharmaceuticals they are on) dies of pneumonia in any other circumstance. But the death was actually the result of their overall condition and weakened state.

So if the manner in which this is being handled...i.e. "shutting everything down" and putting countless people out of work and bankrupting countless businesses is justified, then why not do this every "flu season"? Why are the deaths from this particular virus more significant than the thousands of deaths every year from any other virus when it is not even really a serious illness for the vast majority of those who are infected with it?

IMO history will look back on this "shutdown" and ruination of the economy over this as the real catastrophe.
I believe they are handling this virus with more caution due to the fact that it is foreign to everyone's immune system, and the highly contagious properties. It can go from 50 people to 1000 in a matter of hours if people are not careful, hence the lock down. Also remember that a virus has the ability to mutate, making it adversely affect a larger number or people (younger/healthier) and become resistant to things like sanitizers. Can you imagine thousands and thousands of sick people who are having severe lung infections, lining up at your hospital trying to be put on a ventilator just to breathe? There are alot of people with weak immune systems, not just elderly. It could be alot more serious than it is if these measures were not being taken. Id call it the "lesser evil"

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
Well I am starting another day at the tire factory with no sign of shutting down. Next weeks build schedule came out and they have cut back on tires for the automakers but have increased the replacement tires. They have brought in more people on the cleaning crew to help sanitize. I am not sure if the govt' is over reacting but I havent really changed my lifestyle. I pretty much shelter in place anyway usually only getting out for work

Reactions: Bowie

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Well I am starting another day at the tire factory with no sign of shutting down. Next weeks build schedule came out and they have cut back on tires for the automakers but have increased the replacement tires. They have brought in more people on the cleaning crew to help sanitize. I am not sure if the govt' is over reacting but I havent really changed my lifestyle. I pretty much shelter in place anyway usually only getting out for work
They quit doing tire installs here in most places. Not sure whats up with that exactly. I know Walmart is transferring their shop guys into the main store to clean and stock. My brother in law has run his own garage for decades and he is picking up quite a few tire installs..

Reactions: BROBS and Bowie
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
They quit doing tire installs here in most places. Not sure whats up with that exactly. I know Walmart is transferring their shop guys into the main store to clean and stock. My brother in law has run his own garage for decades and he is picking up quite a few tire installs..
I guess people still have to drive. And the tires made today do not last as long as they used to. Some of our high performance tires are only good for 15000 miles it's insane but that is what the customers want. There are a lot of thing I dont understand so I just come in do my job and go home

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
RN in hospital... pretty good job security there...OT available whenever desired.☕
Registered nurses are on the very front line. Thank god for their dedication, caring and empathy for their fellow human beings. When a medical crisis hits, they are the first to be called upon, along with the doctors, paramedics and other hospital staff.
What pisses me off is that they have been chopped, and chopped year after year by our provincial government here in Ontario, with ever-increasing ratio of patient to nurse. The inevitable level of care decreases. Breaks are almost non-existent while being expected to work longer than normal days for the same pay. Burn-out is common. But when a crisis hits, they save our lives and in this case, risk their own.

I for one am grateful for all they do and sacrifice.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Interesting that it has been all about the death of the brick and mortar stores in general the past few years. Now online shopping is secondary to what you can buy in person and on the spot. I don't see that changing for a long time, people will be buying local 1st if they can. I see Target is raising their hourly rate $2 nationwide.

Took a virus...

Reactions: Bowie and BROBS

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Our local library system has a neat approach to protect the staff and patrons: if you want a book or movie, you can call in and request it. If materials you have on hold come in, they call you. The librarians schedule a 15 minute pick up window and set your materials on a table outside of the door, and you come and pick it up.

All materials are being wiped down before they go out, and they are not accepting any returns until at least a month after the "all clear."

I now have a stack of hardcopy Robert B. Parker books to work through at my leisure. They were immediately available, vs. the Kindle versions, which are 2-12 weeks out.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I don't think that is an overstatement...it could very likely be the case if things continue the way they are. But, IMO, it won't be due to this virus...it will be due to the extreme manner in which the "response" to it is being conducted, far disproportionate to the reality of the situation...and it may end up destroying more lives than the virus would have if we had done nothing.

The numbers simply do not justify the hysterical reaction to this IMO. The vast majority of alleged cases, even in the supposedly hardest hit areas (such as Italy where the average age of the deaths attributed to this has been reported to be 79) are elderly people who were already chronically ill. This is not really any different than the yearly "ordinary" flu.

If someone dies who tested positive (assuming the test is accurate) the death is attributed to Covid19, but this is no different than if someone with poor health and a weak immune system (often due in large part to the pharmaceuticals they are on) dies of pneumonia in any other circumstance. But the death was actually the result of their overall condition and weakened state.

So if the manner in which this is being handled...i.e. "shutting everything down" and putting countless people out of work and bankrupting countless businesses is justified, then why not do this every "flu season"? Why are the deaths from this particular virus more significant than the thousands of deaths every year from any other virus when it is not even really a serious illness for the vast majority of those who are infected with it?

IMO history will look back on this "shutdown" and ruination of the economy over this as the real catastrophe.
I don't believe we have half the story. I believe this was an engineered virus that got out from China and we are late to the party.
US residents are stupid as they continue to gather in groups and are ignoring the warnings. The pictures of Clearwater Beach shows how fucking stupid that generation is and they are going to spread this thing a lot
faster than it should.
I think our world will be changed before this is over. I worry about my 4 kids.

Reactions: olkofri and Bowie

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I work part time for a small office products dealer, doing service calls in customer's offices. With state, county, banks and lots of other closures, there's very little office work being done so little call to repair machines. We even have half a dozen new machines we were supposed to deliver to a state department of health lab and now we have to warehouse them as they are too busy to receive them.

I worked from home doing on-line training for a week and then volunteered to stay out without pay.

The impact on small businesses is going to ripple through the entire economy.

My daughter who has a small farm, has had her restaurant and small grocery store orders cancelled and is just giving away food to a local food bank.

Reactions: Bowie and BROBS

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have completely changed my views since my last post. I believe there are millions of people with the disease and no one knows it because of not enough texting.
I believe the worlds economies are going to tank and the world we once knew will be changed forever.

I think this was an engineered virus that was made in China and it got out. I think they were playing with mass destruction medical weapons and they fucked up.
I say we should nuke the pricks.

Reactions: BROBS

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I don't believe we have half the story. I believe this was an engineered virus that got out from China and we are late to the party.
US residents are stupid as they continue to gather in groups and are ignoring the warnings. The pictures of Clearwater Beach shows how fucking stupid that generation is and they are going to spread this thing a lot
faster than it should.
I think our world will be changed before this is over. I worry about my 4 kids.
Yes, I concur. I think this outbreak is gonna be the perfect excuse to instaurate world-wide suxialism. The powers that be and the law enforcers are already flexing muscle with the lockdowns; and those idiots on the beaches are giving them the perfect justified excuse to go goon-gorilla on the rest of us.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.