Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Reactions: burleyboy

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I'm trying to get sharper about older Dunhills. Should be easy, as I have so much to learn.

This auction recently ended (see below). I used pipedia and matched up the serial number to the pipe. Looks legit to me. Am I right? 1929? What about the stem? Does it look original? Any issues that you see that I might be missing?

That one is legitimate alright, but as has been mentioned, it has been reamed to an extreme.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
I pulled the trigger on this literally with only a few seconds remaining. A little more that what I would have liked to pay, but I came to the realization... to get an 1 Dot lower than this, I need to be very very lucky.

Not enough pictures, but to my amateur eye, it looks to be genuine early 1920s American Market one dot.

Reactions: Papamique

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
s-l1600.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Bless the stratospheric snipers, for they know not what they do.

It's a very nice example of a relatively rare pipe. The blast is wonderful, as is the shaping. It will be a crown jewel in someone's collection, a great conversation piece at the divorce procedings, and make a great doorstop.
A beautiful piece, no doubt, although for me personally, the lack of nomenclature is a deal-breaker. Thank goodness, as I am rather fond of my wife!

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I saw this one the other day, and put it on my watchlist. Figured for a "B" grade Upshall it would go for a pretty good price. Wasn't following it closely - if I had been I probably would have thrown a bid in on it. Unless there's something I missed, that's an awfully good price.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc

A $50 Tradition, $50 Sandblast and a Blue Riband with box brought $660 the other night. Someone wanted that BR badly.

Seller also had a single Blue Riband with box/bag that went for $335

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018

A $50 Tradition, $50 Sandblast and a Blue Riband with box brought $660 the other night. Someone wanted that BR badly.

I was watching those, my goodness! Big bucks for boxes?

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Unsmoked 1937 DR Dunhill anyone?
Only $12,800.00

s-l1600.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: burleyboy

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013

Note the shapes marked on the boxes don't match the shapes of the pipes.

Reactions: donjgiles

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I saw this one the other day, and put it on my watchlist. Figured for a "B" grade Upshall it would go for a pretty good price. Wasn't following it closely - if I had been I probably would have thrown a bid in on it. Unless there's something I missed, that's an awfully good price.

And from the engraving I’d say they were still getting the hang of the Hermès machine...