Live tests on humans now:

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've spent years doing science writing depicting achievements in the biomedical sciences. Unfortunately, the public lack of science awareness and education makes science writers and broadcasters always veer toward continually announcing a treatment or cure for some major disease. People with the least science awareness know that such advances progress through a long (long) series of studies and trials, and further studies, etc. So actual advances come after scores or hundreds of studies each supplying a piece of the larger puzzle. I'm glad this study showed such a promising approach to cancers (many diseases, not one). I pray this is a valuable step forward.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I won't believe it exists until it's on the market. Even then I won't believe it works until long after that. It sounds promising of course, and is information worth sharing certainly, but until it is being utilized effectively by the general population, it is just medical clickbait.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"That said, smoking doesn't make me feel more prone to cancer as much as COPD or heart disease in general. YMMV."

Michael, sadly I had to hang up my pipe last year due to COPD. Not wanting to put a spike in the cogs, we are all adult and make choices that suit us.

I think of a well known and respected forum member who has also hung up his pipe and has the same attitude that I have which is we smoke at our own peril.

Not had a bowl in almost a year yet still miss it terribly :cry:

Regards,

Jay.

• Sad
Reactions: chopper

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I've spent years doing science writing depicting achievements in the biomedical sciences. Unfortunately, the public lack of science awareness and education makes science writers and broadcasters always veer toward continually announcing a treatment or cure for some major disease. People with the least science awareness know that such advances progress through a long (long) series of studies and trials, and further studies, etc. So actual advances come after scores or hundreds of studies each supplying a piece of the larger puzzle. I'm glad this study showed such a promising approach to cancers (many diseases, not one). I pray this is a valuable step forward.

This is the most accurate post.

There is a lot of terrible journalism and clickbaiting, HOWEVER I am in the pharma business for about 10 years now, with focus on oncology, and have seen at least one tumor (melanoma) go from extremely deadly to curable with the recent advances in immunotherapy in the space of as little as 5 years.

BTW same thing happened with hepatitis C, it is now effectively curable since 2013. They charge a very high price, but healthcare systems choose to pay it because the human, institutional, and monetary costs of managing the disease dwarf the cost of treatment. Cancer is relatively cheap to manage, people don't live long enough, it is diabetes, heart failure, COPD and other chronic conditions like hemophilia that fly a bit under the radar by not having big upfront costs like cancer does, but medium/low costs stretched over 20 years. It is a weird and creepy situation where some times healthcare systems would "prefer" patients die faster than linger, for both monetary, resource and societal costs.

Immunotherapy is likely to provide us with cures for numerous cancers in the next 10-15 years, research is white hot at the moment. That said I don't want to tempt fate too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.