PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
These original cartoons still have me in stitches just as much now as they did when I was a youngster. I never realised they took so long to make and were so costly.

Another thing, I never knew was they were originally called Jasper & Jinx!

Regards,

Jay.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I had the pleasure and honor of working on that final Tom & Jerry, The Karateguard, that involved Joe Barbera creatively. The big concern we had was getting it finished before he passed away, as we all wanted him to be able to see and enjoy this one last hurrah. We were able to do that and arrange a theatrical scteening just weeks before he died. After the short ran, Mr Barbera said, "Now THAT'S Tom & Jerry!".

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
They don't look a year over seventy-eight. Great cartoon characters, always lively and fun.

• Haha
Reactions: rushx9

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Sadly these modern CGI cartoons are nowhere near as good as the old classics, made the 'proper' way.

All the characters, no matter what cartoon tend to look the same what with their huge oversized eyes and what have you.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: Bengel

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Talk about global saturation, an NPR feature on Tom and Jerry said that the cartoons are popular in Iran and one Iranian leader compared the relationship between Iran and the U.S. as similar to that of Tom and Jerry. The radio feature also pointed out that the earlier cartoons that had the two (Tom and Jerry that is) as adversaries remain more popular than later episodes where they were more companionable. I guess for a ten minute cartoon, it has more dramatic suspense?

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Now that's when they made cartoons. Now, they're considered too violent. I have a young son that watches cartoons as often as he can. I noticed a few days ago that the new Yosemite Sam doesn't even carry his trademark six shooters anymore. He just uses his fingers, pointing them around like guns. Was really weird. Sign of the times, I suppose.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Now that's when they made cartoons. Now, they're considered too violent. I have a young son that watches cartoons as often as he can. I noticed a few days ago that the new Yosemite Sam doesn't even carry his trademark six shooters anymore. He just uses his fingers, pointing them around like guns. Was really weird. Sign of the times, I suppose.

Agree. Moreover, it's a shame that some of the shorts are now found "inappropriate for the intended audiences" and are censored from the public broadcast and even DVD-collections.
O tempora, o mores!
Glad I had an opportunity to watch all of them back in my childhood :)

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Moreover, it's a shame that some of the shorts are now found "inappropriate for the intended audiences" and are censored from the public broadcast and even DVD-collections."

How very true Vates, 'Mama Sandal' is sadly regarded negatively from a racial perspective. I would wager folks of all colours and creeds would not see things as such.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: Elric and vates
Status
Not open for further replies.