PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I have been eyeing the bent egg shape from Moonshine Pipes for a long time now. I was even thinking about contacting BriarWorks to ask if they could make me one to my specifications, sort of like a semi-custom pipe.

I was very happy to see a number of bent egg shapes in stock at Smoking pipes.com. After looking at the different options I decided on this light smooth version rather than a sandblasted one. The smooth version just really shows off the precise shaping in my opinion. It has some awesome birdseye on display as well.

It was a bit dear on the wallet due to the exchange rate between USD and Austrialan dollars, but I recently had a win with my business and thought what better way to celebrate than with a new pipe!

IMG_20200131_200724.jpg

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Congrats on your recent business success, how do you like the bent apple shape?

I have a small nose warmer from Moonshine that I really enjoy.
Thanks, I'm loving it. I think it is a very handsome shape and well excuted. I had a great first smoke with it. I don't think any breaking in is required.

I also have a natural sandblasted poker from Moonshine Pipes that smokes effortless as well.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Lovely pipe!

I'm a converted fan of Moonshine pipes as well. They smoke effortlessly and the quality is outstanding. Hopefully, their Briar Works offerings are as good.

Reactions: BROBS and tobefrank

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
You just can't go wrong with a Briarworks or Moonshine pipe. I own close to 10 moonshine pipes and each and every one of those are pure gold. Not only do they present great smoking properties, they also offer imaginative and attractive shapes and quality finishes way above their price point. Congrats on the bent egg, I am the proud owner of a dark smooth one complete with a boxwood ring that I simply love.

Reactions: tobefrank and vates

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I have been eyeing the bent egg shape from Moonshine Pipes for a long time now. I was even thinking about contacting BriarWorks to ask if they could make me one to my specifications, sort of like a semi-custom pipe.

I was very happy to see a number of bent egg shapes in stock at Smoking pipes.com. After looking at the different options I decided on this light smooth version rather than a sandblasted one. The smooth version just really shows off the precise shaping in my opinion. It has some awesome birdseye on display as well.

It was a bit dear on the wallet due to the exchange rate between USD and Austrialan dollars, but I recently had a win with my business and thought what better way to celebrate than with a new pipe!

View attachment 17746
G'day mate. That's one really nice pipe.

The exchange rate + the high cost of postage + the duty charge on the U.S. side is why I buy my pipes from Europe. [Postage from Germany for e.g. is $10usd for up to 6 pipes]

How are you going for tobacco? Hope you got yourself a decent stash before the arsehole govt. shut the door on importing baccy [I snuck 5lbs through over the Christmas period] Not game to order more for the time being because I'd hate to end up on the Customs alert list. I've been caught once since the new laws were introduced.

My tobacconist was just telling me that there's two more tax price hikes this year. 50 grams will be close to $150 by the end of the year.

• Wow
Reactions: vates

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
G'day mate. That's one really nice pipe.

The exchange rate + the high cost of postage + the duty charge on the U.S. side is why I buy my pipes from Europe. [Postage from Germany for e.g. is $10usd for up to 6 pipes]

How are you going for tobacco? Hope you got yourself a decent stash before the arsehole govt. shut the door on importing baccy [I snuck 5lbs through over the Christmas period] Not game to order more for the time being because I'd hate to end up on the Customs alert list. I've been caught once since the new laws were introduced.

My tobacconist was just telling me that there's two more tax price hikes this year. 50 grams will be close to $150 by the end of the year.
G'day mate,

I feel quite lucky that I have been squirreling away tobacco 5 tins at a time for the last few years before they made online imports illegal.

With my rate of smoking I essentially have enough for the rest of my life. I have a few more blends that I would love to get my hands on such as GL Pease Union Square and some Semois.

I haven't tried ordering anything online since the ban, but my last 3-4 orders were picked up by Customs, so I have a feeling I'm already on some sort of Customs list because I ordered a few too many small orders in a row.

I'm grateful to have a good supply already, but it would be nice to have the freedom to buy a few more every now and then.

Reactions: chopper and vates

a3zname

Lurker
Nov 12, 2019
Israel
I have been eyeing a pipe similar to this for some time! Thanks for the info! Yours looks spectacular.
How is the stem? do you clench it?

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I don't clench so I can't comment on that, but the stem is done very nicely.

If you like this shape there is another smooth bent egg available on smokingpipes.com with some very nice birdseye.

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
I have been eyeing a pipe similar to this for some time! Thanks for the info! Yours looks spectacular.
How is the stem? do you clench it?

I clench. A moonshine button is a little on the fat side, but makes for a very steady, secure hold on the pipe between the teeth. I'm okay with it.

Reactions: a3zname and vates

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
G'day mate,

I feel quite lucky that I have been squirreling away tobacco 5 tins at a time for the last few years before they made online imports illegal.

With my rate of smoking I essentially have enough for the rest of my life. I have a few more blends that I would love to get my hands on such as GL Pease Union Square and some Semois.

I haven't tried ordering anything online since the ban, but my last 3-4 orders were picked up by Customs, so I have a feeling I'm already on some sort of Customs list because I ordered a few too many small orders in a row.

I'm grateful to have a good supply already, but it would be nice to have the freedom to buy a few more every now and then.
A couple I've met on-line live in Brisbane, they had little luck even before the ban, so I've often wondered if it's easier to sneak baccy through certain airports than others.

Unfortunately I realised a bit late that one could order tobacco from O/S or I'd have a shit-load more.
A quick inventory shows that I've got around 35lb [for some reason thought I had 45lb - oh well]

I quickly realised that tins got intercepted way more often than bulk orders so I ended up ordering pound bags only.

A guy in Adelaide I spoke to was into snuff & chew products big time. He ordered in a big way. He told me that before the ban, one ended up on the alert list if more than 2 or 3 contraband products were intercepted in a week.

There's so many blends that I'd love to try - unfortunately I don't have any Union Square or Semois [I'm an inhaler who avoids nicotine so smoke mild, mild-medium blends with mild to lower levels of nic]

I've grown a few Burley plants this year that I'll turn into Black Cavendish. Next Spring I'll be growing Virginia & Orientals if I can get some seeds through.

It's very well known that those from lower economic backgrounds, the depressed & the mentally ill or more likely to smoke than others. The heavy taxes is a cruel attack, especially on these smokers.
It's really sad seeing pensioners & the unemployed counting their coin at my tobacconist, to then ask 'How many cigarettes do I get for .....?'
It's not unusual to see everyday people scrounging cigarette butts. I'm told that it's worse in the city.
Black market tobacco, chop-chop, is huge despite it's poor quality.

If you've got any blends you don't like or are too mild for you, shoot me a PM & we could work something out.
I've got a heap of antique NOS [unsmoked] pipes, some up to 100yo, I'm willing to trade if you're interested.
[Pics of some examples are on my Antique NOS thread in the pipe section]

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have only one egg shape pipe, a Genod, quite small, almost a pocket pipe, but I was surprised at how much the bowl holds, something about that shape. It's a real luxury to have a small, light weight pipe, especially a hanger, that holds that much blend. That's a beautiful cooker.

Status
Not open for further replies.