4 Versions Of Jack Daniels And One Set Of Brit Tastebuds.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I would wager if a random 1000 UK adults were asked to name one American Bourbon Whiskey that around 80 - 90% would mention Jack Daniels. Up until about 4 years ago I would have said the same, I now know otherwise.

Apparently though fulfilling the criteria for being a Bourbon, it is classed as a Tennessee Whiskey.

So that's that cleared up.

When I was released from hospital late last year I came home to no food and nothing to drink so went straight onto my online Asda (UK Walmart) account and started stocking up on the necessities of life....milk, cheese, coffee, beer and some spirits.

It was whilst browsing the spirits I stumbled upon a boxed bottle of Jack Daniels 'Legacy Edition', typical 70cl bottle but with an ABV of 43%. Regular Jack Daniels No7 (over here at least) is 40% ABV. The odd thing was the No7 was £20 whereas the Legacy Edition was a mere £16. (Apparently the 'Legacy Edition' is essentially the same as No7 but less diluted) I bought 4.

It's been a while since I had drunk No7 (I assumed that was their only product) but when I tasted the Legacy Edition it all came back to me. Slightly sweet with a definite corn flavour though clearly a tad stronger than the No7. I bought 4 more bottles.

It says on the box that the green & gold label used is one that was used by the distillery circa 1905 hence the Legacy monika. There is a new 'Legacy Edition' out now but with a red label.

I was really enjoying my nightly tipple, more so as I was at the time watching Ken Burns' 'War' and 'Vietnam' documentaries so it seemed quite appropriate.

So, as christmas, birthday and new year loomed (all in the same week for me) I looked about to treating myself and lo and behold found more Jack Daniels products that I had never heard of let alone tasted so after another online blast at Asda I had delivered a bottle of Jack Daniels 'Single Barrel' (45% ABV) and Jack Daniels 'Gentleman Jack' (40% ABV).

I was in Jack Daniels heaven!

The 'Single Barrel' was very tasty, very much like No7 and 'Legacy' but perhaps a tad deeper in flavour and also had a slight earthiness about it.

Now the 'Gentleman Jack' was quite a different kettle of fish. This was as smooth as silk. Still with that unique corn flavour but my oh my was it smooth. According to the blurb this is due to being filtered twice in columns of sugar maple charcoal and this makes sense as it was much paler that the other versions I had tried. This as it happens was my favourite of the bunch.

Next year I reckon I'll be going for yet more of the products but not the Tennessee Fire or the honey one, I just want the whiskey with nothing added.

Hopefully the pictures of the labels will appear below.

Regards,

Jay.

legacy #1.jpgsingle barrel.jpgGentleman Jack.jpgLegacy #2.jpg

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
The last 15 years or so has been a renaissance for American spirits. Some of the gems I've discovered include Catoctin Creek Rye and Kopper Kettle Virginia Straight Bourbon Whiskey, both of which are distilleries here in Virginia, with very reasonable pricing.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
You should try the Kentucky Bourbons. Wild Turkey being one of my favorites (the 101 expressions).
WT101 was one of my favorites back when I used to drink. A few of those with beer to chase them, and it was I who became the wild turkey!

I never had any of the Jack variations, just Old No. 7. I liked it well enough but it just got lost in the wash of other whiskeys in the same price range.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Straight Rye gives me the jimmie leg. You might like it though, many people do. When I drink Bourbon I generally drink Blanton’s, however I usually drink Scotch when I am drinking whisky. Lagavulin 16, Caol Ila 12 and Laphroaig 10 are my go to malts. Also Jay, if you are trying new Bourbons, look for ones that are Bottled-In-Bond, these are always 100 proof or better and these whiskys are generally overlooked.

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
I would wager if a random 1000 UK adults were asked to name one American Bourbon Whiskey that around 80 - 90% would mention Jack Daniels.

Apparently though fulfilling the criteria for being a Bourbon, it is classed as a Tennessee Whiskey.

As a resident of the UK, you may not be aware of the US law that states if someone at a bar attempts to correct your categorzation of Jack Daniel's as a bourbon by stating it's a Tennessee whiskey you are authorized to flick him in the forehead with your finger and state: "Don't be a dick."

• Haha
Reactions: curl, dino and dcon

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
In order for a whiskey to be classified as bourbon, it must be made of at least 51% corn and be made in Kentucky.

Similar to brandy and cognac. Cognac is brandy, but the only way brandy can be cognac is if it is made in the Cognac region France.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
There are many American spirits I'd like to try, one in particular is a pure rye whiskey.

I'll be looking to see what's available online in the morning.

Regards,

Jay.
Templeton Rye.
one of the best!!~

may be hard to get in UK not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.