PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Now my bad luck with Dunhills never seems end ,this is now second time I have caused a hairline crack to Dunhill Shell Briar shank, First time it was canadian model with very thin shank walls and this time around it was my recently acquired Estate Shell Dunhill from 70ies, one brisk twist when I was removing the stem for cleaning and I'm hearing that familiar dreary sound, hairline crack ! ,Off it goes for banding to Northern Briars England,hope Mr I Walker can handle the task ,needless to say resale value went down the drain,very ''ssed with my carelessness155961559715598

Yeh, that sucks. The only two pipes that have developed a hairline crack, were estates fresh out of the mailbox... which had me wondering if I should have let the pipe acclimate out of the box for a day or so before messing with it. I believe most musical instruments when shipped have a label on them, warning that the wood needs to acclimate before you tune it or play it... which is just as hard for a musician to do as for a pipesmoker.

None of this may have anything to do with your pipe though... I'm just waxing over my experience. Sorry this happened. It sucks. It is also ironic that I broke my Northern Briars pipe and had to band it within a few hours of buying it straight from the man himself. And, he is banding your pipe. puffy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not a Dunhill/White Spot owner, all of my knowledge is from Forums member foggymountain. As I recall, the Shell briar was one of the series he would not buy. He started with selling Dunhills and other pipes at a pipe shop in Manhattan in the 1950s and had about one hundred, so I always suspect he knows a thing or three.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Not a Dunhill/White Spot owner, all of my knowledge is from Forums member foggymountain. As I recall, the Shell briar was one of the series he would not buy. He started with selling Dunhills and other pipes at a pipe shop in Manhattan in the 1950s and had about one hundred, so I always suspect he knows a thing or three.
Thanks for the added info, candidly saying,when it comes to Dunhill/WhiteSpots pipes I have no means but to buy shell/ring grains, decidedly I will keep Y'all updated and will take some 'after the repair picts,

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
With all due respect to Foggy, his information on Dunhills comes across as very anecdotal, rather than factual. His main gripe about the various lines of Dunhill was that different finishes caused bad tastes during the smoke. I could see that as being perfectly acceptable for maybe the first few smokes (the “break-in” period), but after a carbon layer develops, there really is no way an exterior finish can affect the flavor of tobacco burning inside of the chamber. Well, that’s my view, at least. I won’t be so bold as to say I’m any kind of authority!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
absolutely. his posts mainly stated that the stain imparted some flavor to the smoke, which as said above could really only be for so long. I think the main issue is that these are obviously the lowest of the line Dunhills, but the price doesn't reflect that.

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
I believe most musical instruments when shipped have a label on them, warning that the wood needs to acclimate before you tune it or play it... which is just as hard for a musician to do as for a pipesmoker.
Hmm, that's an interesting way to look at it, you may well have something there.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Well this one from the 1960s (Dunhill Second) just cracked the same way while I was smoking it. Great quality ?
I even had put beeswax on the tenon to prevent this when moving the stem.
I think they have bulged tenons which is the root of the issue. When putting in the stem very slowly I can see the crack open microscopically and when the stem is in it’s closed.
The pipe does smoke great so I’ll probably have a sterling band installed since it looks like Tim West does them for like $32?
crack:
So Paulie you are not alone my friend! At least mine was a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.