PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, tried to have a bowl of this after getting a tin and I'm underwhelmed. Pissed is more accurate, actually. Chocolate, my arse. I couldn't taste any choco, I could smell it, but not taste it. Bitey from the get go: the infamous charring light charred my tongue as well—ouch. Guess I must smoke burley in filtered pipes only. I did think about using the MacQueen, but that pipe's stem still gives off a strong burnt wood flavour and I didn't want it to interfere with the chocolate :rolleyes:. Had I known I wasn't gonna taste milk shake I coulda used it.

Maybe I'll relegate this to cobs. ?

/RANT

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
A friend had an open tin and I asked to try a small sample since I've seen folks here raving about it. I thought it tasted pretty much identical to LLRR... can't see myself paying a premium for it when almost any coco topped burley would scratch that itch.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Well, tried to have a bowl of this after getting a tin and I'm underwhelmed. Pissed is more accurate, actually. Chocolate, my arse. I couldn't taste any choco, I could smell it, but not taste it. Bitey from the get go: the infamous charring light charred my tongue as well—ouch. Guess I must smoke burley in filtered pipes only. I did think about using the MacQueen, but that pipe's stem still gives off a strong burnt wood flavour and I didn't want it to interfere with the chocolate :rolleyes:. Had I known I wasn't gonna taste milk shake I coulda used it.

Maybe I'll relegate this to cobs. ?

/RANT

Dry tobacco + breath smoking = no bite, more flavor (just thought maybe you wanted to hear that again). nana

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
How dry was it?

I loaded the pipe right out of the tin, but it sat out for 20-30 minutes before I lit it. I smoked it very slowly. I smoked it out of a Castello, so it’s possible that the magic fairy dust they use took all the bite out of it.

I’ll note that I have not gotten the horrendous Mac Bite I’ve read so much about, so it’s possible my personal chemistry is just set up for Mac Baren products. Viking blood.

Reactions: Bowie

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I really enjoy Burley London a lot, but it’s certainly not a strongly topped aromatic chocolate. Top Black cherry is the only cherry tobacco that I don’t hate, and I can certainly taste the cherry, just not the nasty cough syrup cherry of most blends. Maybe your taster is a little less than sensitive, at least when it comes to tobaccos?

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I’ve found burley to be subtle. You need to have a slow cadence and some experience to get the flavours in full. Once I learned how to smoke burley blends, I became fan of the simplicity and the complexity.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
How dry was it?

I DID dry it! ? Breath smoking just doesn't work for me: it irritates my throat way too much. ?
?
How do you get smoke in your throat breath smoking?

The only way I get chocolate from burley is retrohaling.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
@olkofri Have you tried Peterson University Flake?
Nope. Always wanted to, specially when I was still taking classes as the name University appeals to me, but never got around to order a tin what with this keeping orders small and all. :(
?
How do you get smoke in your throat breath smoking?

The only way I get chocolate from burley is retrohaling.
I dunno. Real weird. Must have a wacko anatomy, myself. Lately, I've been making pumping motions with my cheek muscles that result in retrohaling: not too happy about it as I don't wanna irritate the sinae any more than my GERD does, but it just happens automatically when I do that.

Speaking of which, this burley was a bit of an experiment. Given that burley is alkaline, I was thinking maybe it would help neutralise the acid fumes coming up from my stomach into my upper airways. Heh, maybe that's why I was bitten right off the bat: acidic tongue and alkaline burley neutralisation in situ. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.