PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm kind of a burley junkie, but I do enjoy Virginia and Virgnia flake from time to time, often PS Luxury Navy Flake, but the best I've had came as an unopened tin from a Forums member, Lakelands Brown Sugar Flake, which isn't even marketed in the U.S., or I don't see it. That was some fine smoking compared to almost anything.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Words of wisdom indeed. This may ruffle a few feathers, but rookies such as myself have almost no business cellaring pounds of anything. I found this out back in 2003 when I first started pipe smoking, and I'm reminded of it now after picking the hobby up again after a 15 year hiatus.

Back in '03 it was Squadron Leader. I thought it was the bees knees and bought a couple pounds for the closet, only to find out a month or two later that I much preferred VaPers and VA flakes. Fast forward to now, and I made a similar mistake (on a smaller scale) by diving head first into a whole slew of latakia-forward blends that I don't want anything to do with since I quickly found my way back into VaPer/VA obsession.

And even now, after confirming the genre(s) that I'm into, there are so many great blends to try before stashing pounds in the "cellar". I'm honestly beginning to wonder if, for me personally, if it even makes sense to ever load heavy on one particular blend. Tastes change, and considering I only smoke 1-2 bowls per day, I'm not comfortable buying much more than 250g of any one blend.

I was burned once when Dunhill stopped so I don't want that to happen again. I agree in principle with trying before buying (a lot), but here's my concern: I smoke 1 bowl a day on weekdays and 3-4 on weekends.

Currently I am sitting on about 1 kg of tobacco, mainly English, VaPers and VaBurs. I know that at my rate it'd take me a year to finish all that. My worry, intensified by the annoyance I felt when Dunhill stopped producing, is that in a year from now it will either be more expensive, harder to get, or both, so I feel the need to buy now, and buy deep from anything that has made me happy to smoke it from opening the tin to finishing.

The other experience I've had that is colouring my approach to pipe tobaccos and stocking is vaping: when I started I used a handful of juices and they all worked for me very well. Then after a year or so I started branching out, going mental really and spending a ton of money on juices and gear. Now I've come back to the handful that I always enjoy.

I don't want to go through this annoying and costly journey will pipe tobaccos as well. For example I find Solani 633 and DLNRs as very similar, with the Dunhill being a bit sweeter than 633, with SG SJF tasting somewhat spicier/heavier. I love all three, I could get a load of any and be very happy for a long long time. With my limited experience after branching out from English blends I found I reach towards VaPers 60% of the time, 20% for English, and 20% for burley. So my strategy is to avoid trying to understood the nuances of so many excellent blends because I know I'll get burnt out and end up favouring one over all the rest, and then miss that one and need to buy it again, and having to finish the others will be a chore (that's my mindmess - I can't not use something I've paid for...).

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
And even now, after confirming the genre(s) that I'm into, there are so many great blends to try before stashing pounds in the "cellar". I'm honestly beginning to wonder if, for me personally, if it even makes sense to ever load heavy on one particular blend. Tastes change, and considering I only smoke 1-2 bowls per day, I'm not comfortable buying much more than 250g of any one blend.
This for sure!

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
My favorites would be SG FVF, GL Union Square, Astley's #44, GH CR Bright, and out of production, but still in my cellar McClelland 40th Anniversary and Blackwoods Flake.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I have been working on a 50g tin of Union Square and it's not bad at all but I can't seem to find all the excitement/praise that it seems to get. FVF is still the reigning champ for me personally. But I just bought a bunch of new blends/tins to try, so we'll see (Peterson Flake, Capstan Blue, MacB HH Pure VA, C&D Opening Night).

It seems to me, since I dig FVF so much, that my tastebuds prefer steam pressed VA flakes, and the descriptions I've read of Union Square lead me to believe it is more pure and less processed. I'm still inexperienced when it comes to all of this, so I could be wrong.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have been working on a 50g tin of Union Square and it's not bad at all but I can't seem to find all the excitement/praise that it seems to get. FVF is still the reigning champ for me personally. But I just bought a bunch of new blends/tins to try, so we'll see (Peterson Flake, Capstan Blue, MacB HH Pure VA, C&D Opening Night).

It seems to me, since I dig FVF so much, that my tastebuds prefer steam pressed VA flakes, and the descriptions I've read of Union Square lead me to believe it is more pure and less processed. I'm still inexperienced when it comes to all of this, so I could be wrong.

I don't think it is the steam pressed process that is the difference, it is simply that FVF is more full flavored and somewhat different flavors. I'd recommend you try the SG Best Brown Flake. If you don't care for Union Square that much, I doubt you will like Opening Night. I'm guessing though you will like Capstan Blue. I'd also recommend you try F&T Cut Virginia Plug and Vintage, perhaps even the Special Brown Flake. Also, let the Union Square alone for 3 to 4 weeks then try it again. It may be a bit of acquired taste. I didn't love it when I first tried it but it has become one of my favorite Va Flakes. It's also almost always available which is more than can be said for most Va Flakes.

Johnny, I'm spending Jan and Feb in Florida so I don't have access to my cellar. If you touch base with me in March, I'll be happy to send you some samples of some more Va Flakes to try.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I don't think it is the steam pressed process that is the difference, it is simply that FVF is more full flavored and somewhat different flavors. I'd recommend you try the SG Best Brown Flake. If you don't care for Union Square that much, I doubt you will like Opening Night. I'm guessing though you will like Capstan Blue. I'd also recommend you try F&T Cut Virginia Plug and Vintage, perhaps even the Special Brown Flake. Also, let the Union Square alone for 3 to 4 weeks then try it again. It may be a bit of acquired taste. I didn't love it when I first tried it but it has become one of my favorite Va Flakes. It's also almost always available which is more than can be said for most Va Flakes.

Johnny, I'm spending Jan and Feb in Florida so I don't have access to my cellar. If you touch base with me in March, I'll be happy to send you some samples of some more Va Flakes to try.

I’ve only found 250g of BBF and was hesitant to pull the trigger because I read more than a couple reviews that said it was an underwhelming version of FVF, fussy to deal with, etc.
Was hoping to find a 50g to get acquainted first. I’ll keep an eye out.

As far as the CVP I was just searching for 50g this morning but came up empty handed. It’s on my list and I look forward to finding some!

I would absolutely take you up on the samples. Bummer it’s not March yet haha. Very nice of you to offer though

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I’ve only found 250g of BBF and was hesitant to pull the trigger because I read more than a couple reviews that said it was an underwhelming version of FVF, fussy to deal with, etc.
Was hoping to find a 50g to get acquainted first. I’ll keep an eye out.

As far as the CVP I was just searching for 50g this morning but came up empty handed. It’s on my list and I look forward to finding some!

I would absolutely take you up on the samples. Bummer it’s not March yet haha. Very nice of you to offer though

I often like BBF better than FVF. That's just me though. No more or less fussy to smoke. A bit milder but sweeter. The F&T blends are difficult to come by. Better be ready when they hit the shelves, they don't last long.

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
Thank you for this thread as I am also looking at getting some different flakes, virginia and vaPers. That said I think Dunhill Flake is excellent (at least the tins I've had, old square ones, only one left). I also think BBF is better than FVF. CVP was nice but by the end of the tin I was wanting more.

So, now looking at Newminster 400 (the price seems nice) and HH Pure Virginia, StJF, and probably some WatchCity Flakes.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
Great list in here... Just want to contribute something I think people overlook-- McConnell's Black Flake, which is a Dunhill Dark Flake match. Not sure if it matches since I've never had Dunhill DF, but it's excellent. Sweet, sort of like best brown flake's topping but also more of a burnt sugar vibe. If you're a Dark and Sweet VA fan you'll like it.

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

nick24601

Lurker
Jan 19, 2020
Words of wisdom indeed. This may ruffle a few feathers, but rookies such as myself have almost no business cellaring pounds of anything. I found this out back in 2003 when I first started pipe smoking, and I'm reminded of it now after picking the hobby up again after a 15 year hiatus.

On one hand I have to agree with you from personal experience. I have a few pounds of this blend and that which used to be mainstays in the rotation and now are added much more sparingly. One the other hand though my favorite blend when I first started was Ravens Wing and my favorite blend before I took my last hiatus was H.H. Syrian.

I foolishly smoked all the Ravens wing before finding out I could have sold those tins at $120 a pop. I have pounds and pounds of H.H. Syrian bulk in my crawl space and it will most likely last me a long time with Syrian tobacco being gone. I also have a few pounds of Dunhill standard mixture from before they began using CB codes in 2010 and a bunch of other random tins that aren't in production anymore. On one hand all of this old tobacco tastes amazing, on the other I could offload a bunch of it pretty easily for a new pipe/lots of what I smoke now.

My advice to even the newest smoker would be to stockpile tins, no bulk, and if there tastes change its all for the better. They now have something that at best will be worth much more in the future and at worst will taste amazing down the line.

That's my completely biased advice :) Had I not been a huge fan of Syrian Latakia it could very well be quite different.

nick24601

Lurker
Jan 19, 2020
In related curiosity, why do some some navy flakes have Perique and some don’t? Are the guidelines pretty loose?

The guidlines for just about everything are ridiculously loose. A "Balkan" blend means multiple different things. In discussion of Virginia flake people constantly add things like capistan (a navy flake as its pressed and flavored with sweetner) and orlick golden sliced (which most likely has perique in it). The list goes on and on.

Its similar to cigar sizes :)

The best course of action is not to get attached to this label or that and just smoke a bunch of blends until you find your favorite one.

Status
Not open for further replies.