PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
I haven't left the house without a harmonica in my pocket for 12 years now, and I think I'm gettin' pretty good by practicing about an hour a day.
Other than that I noodle on guitar, and I built a bass guitar some years ago. I also have the basics down for playing some blues licks on the piano.

I play the banjo, ukulele, and can hold my own on the guitar, but it's not my strongest instrument. My oldest daughter plays bass like a badass. My wife plays piano and the fiddle, and my middle daughter plays just about every woodwind instrument.

Your family sounds a lot like mine.

Whenever we get together we INEVITABLY end up in the Music Studio "Jamming out" and enjoying the hell out of it. The room is full of instruments of different types and everyone just keeps switching it up.

Some of my favorite memories (and recordings) are from those impromptu gatherings. My Dad is 92 now and still kicking but has arthritis in his fret fingers so is unable to play much. I sure am glad I have those recordings....

Your family sounds a lot like mine.
My wife is a descendant of Bascom Lamar Lunsford, from outa the mountains of North Carolina. So, when we go up there, we have a series of stops we make to hang out and pick and grin with her family and strangers. It's always a blast.
But, I am always amazed at how good those Lunsfords are, even without any training, they just seem to pick up an instrument and run with it. My wife plays totally by ear, and my brain just can't grasp that.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I play the drums on my beer gut. My 8 month old daughter thinks it's hilarious and she is pretty sure I'm a musical genius.

On a more serious note, I used to play all kinds of stuff, violin/fiddle in elementary and middle school, then played drums, keyboards, and bass guitar in the University Symposium Band when I was in Undergrad. My skills (or lack there of) were always very specific to certain songs though, I couldn't just play anything like many musicians. I could only play the songs we had practiced.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Yes, @sandollars GAS can be crippling expensive!!

Guitar for over 30-years, even played a bunch of cover bands on weekends when I was younger (too much fun and I had a hard time keeping up with that weekend lifestyle once I turned 40). I have a tender spot for classical and steel string acoustic, but there's just something religious about a Les Paul through an old non-master Marshall halfstack. If I can feel my pant legs being moved by the speakers, then it's just the right volume ;)

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I’ve been in the same band for 22 years now, and I still haven’t made it halfway through my 30s :ROFLMAO: . We’ve had some fun moments in the spotlight but usually we just snake in and out anymore, as being a successful touring band isn’t quite our lifestyle preference.

@kg.legat0 , my two brothers and I were also in a blues rock band with our dad. That was as terrible as it was fun...but the fun memories prevail so it was worth it :).

Status
Not open for further replies.