PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I wanted to have at least 6 bowls of this in different pipes before making a verdict. I really like this old school Burley blend. I think it’s closest to Edgeworth, but with more chocolate and less maltiness and less molasses. A bit more richly flavored as well, leaning more toward aromatic territory while still being a codger style burley. It will bite a bit more than Edgeworth if pushed hard, but nothing to detract from the experience unless you are an absolute freight train. Good cut, needs a touch of dry time, which also takes the topping down a bit, and burns evenly and well, quickly but not hot. Overall, a great reissue of a classic that I never tried before it was discontinued, but stocked up on with this rerelease.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’ve had a few bowls now, and I largely agree with mikefu’s review.

The chocolate note is very apparent, but not overdone. It’s a little bit stronger than I thought, which makes it pretty satisfying. As noted, it’s quite rich with plenty of nuttiness. There is also just a touch of pleasant spiciness that I generally associate with perique or dark fired (though without the overt flavors of either). I don’t know if there is any Virginia in the blend, but I also notice a little bit of grassiness that works well. All in all, it’s a very pleasant and satisfying smoke. I think I may try a few bowls mixed 50/50 with some 5100.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I’ve had a few bowls now, and I largely agree with mikefu’s review.

The chocolate note is very apparent, but not overdone. It’s a little bit stronger than I thought, which makes it pretty satisfying. As noted, it’s quite rich with plenty of nuttiness. There is also just a touch of pleasant spiciness that I generally associate with perique or dark fired (though without the overt flavors of either). I don’t know if there is any Virginia in the blend, but I also notice a little bit of grassiness that works well. All in all, it’s a very pleasant and satisfying smoke. I think I may try a few bowls mixed 50/50 with some 5100.

Yes, there is a little gold Virginia in the mix. I think it's responsible for the spice note. The white burley likely adds a touch as well.

Reactions: krizzose and B.Fee
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Just cracking into it right now.

Tin note: It's very chocolatey. Very much of a chocolate cake like scent. Has a bit of molasses note too.

Cut: It's a really nice ready rub. Very easy to just pack and go.

Moisture: The tin I got was just about Goldilocks. I'll probably jar this up because it'll take me roughly 2-3 weeks to get through all 100 grams.

Flavor: First light it's VERY much that sweet chocolate note. Faint bit of vanilla and molasses. I'm still early on in the bowl, but the nuttiness of Burley is coming forward a bit too now.

It's burning at a really nice pace and the top is turning to a nice fine gray ash. It really seems to me to be one of those blends you can put in the bowl light up and almost forget about it. I really see how this was an all day blend for many pipe smokers when it was in regular production.

I was lucky enough to be gifted a bowl's worth of Edgeworth Slices at a West Coast Pipe Show a few years ago, and this is in that vein. The Slices was absolutely incredible, a blend that will be really hard to ever beat as Burley's go anyways. This Burley London Blend is in that vein though and for now is actually available.

Personally I would say this is the best Burley offering I've had from Mac Baren. Wish they would bring this back to the lineup as a regular. For now I'll enjoy this tin and the others I'm squirreling away.

If you're a fan of Burleys at all you really should try and snag up a few tins if there are any left.

Oct 7, 2016
Looks like there are two threads on this blend. On other forums smokers are saying it is Sutliff Burley Delight #212 (@jiminks thinks not) and MacB Golden Extra (I think not). Whatever. I smoked some from a batch I ordered the first day, and said “nice, glad to have it, but not a reorder” , smoked a few more bowls, and, well, 10 more tins arrived today. Far cry from my usual fare, but it is a flavorful, easy, cool, smoke. Pretty much as I remember it being back decades ago when it was one of the few MacBarens I ever smoked more than one tin of.

B.Fee

Lifer
Nov 28, 2019
Honolulu / Colorado
Looks like there are two threads on this blend. On other forums smokers are saying it is Sutliff Burley Delight #212 (@jiminks thinks not) and MacB Golden Extra (I think not). Whatever. I smoked some from a batch I ordered the first day, and said “nice, glad to have it, but not a reorder” , smoked a few more bowls, and, well, 10 more tins arrived today. Far cry from my usual fare, but it is a flavorful, easy, cool, smoke. Pretty much as I remember it being back decades ago when it was one of the few MacBarens I ever smoked more than one tin of.
I am so grateful to be able to read the opinions of the long time pipe smokers on this sight. I am a new pipe smoker and enjoying the vast flavors available today, but feeling lost out on the tobaccos of the past, "and hard to find" it is awesome to hear the flavor notes of the experienced towards past blends that new and re releases have I feel like I am able to enjoy blends from the pass and blends I cannot obtain. Thank you all ?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012

BLB is not Sutliff #212 Burley Delight. I smoked enough BLB in the past to know, though I haven't tried the new version as I'm not buying tobacco right now. They are similar, but not the same. And Golden Extra is not like BLB either.

Oct 7, 2016
BLB is not Sutliff #212 Burley Delight. I smoked enough BLB in the past to know, though I haven't tried the new version as I'm not buying tobacco right now. They are similar, but not the same. And Golden Extra is not like BLB either.
Well, so much for being able to buy a bulk equivalent. ? but the tins are very reasonably priced.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
If this woulda been available in 50gr tins,I could have been having ordering one,you see 100gr tins may attract unnecessary interest of certain authorities,whrereas 50gr does not,yet 50gr tins are a convenient size for shipping in bubble envelopes

Reactions: Casual
Status
Not open for further replies.