PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Just come back from my short border-crossing overnight trip to Russia(bringing some tobaccies along, which was the main purpose of this trip)now, this was the second time when I couldn't find any smoking lounge nor ashtrays anywhere in these Hotels,and note, this was in Russia not in California, however with some clever manipulations I managed to smoke a little in my room, but I can't help wondering how the smoker is supposed to stay over the longer period of time in these like establishments (outside areas are smoke-free as well) where smoking is supposedly totally banned, this is starting to get really on my nerves,

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Smoking in hotels , restaurants and bars has been banned in Canada for over ten years now. In the province I live in you have to be ten feet from any doors to any buildings and cannot smoke in parks. It is also a fine if caught smoking in your car with someone under age 16 in the vehicle. I have heard recently that truck drivers are being clamped down on for smoking in their trucks as it is considered a workplace and will face fines if caught in most provinces.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
From a hotel owner's perspective, a lot of smokers make the situation worse. In my smaller motel, I keep smoking rooms (a trial to do under Tennessee's smoking guidelines). When I ask people checking in if they want one, a lot of times I'll get "No! Hell no! We're allergic! My wife will DIE if we're in a smoking room." But then I let them know what the fine is if they smoke in a non smoking room and "We will DIE" changes to "Well you know, Grandma does like to smoke her pipe before bed, we better take a smoking room just in case." They don't want a smoking room, they just want a nonsmoking room to smoke in, and cause people a lot of cleanup time, and cause complaints from real non-smokers down the road.
If people acted less like children, I think some of the smoking issue would subside.....unfortunately that's too much to ask in 2019.

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
Not allowing smoking in hotels make perfect sense. That is a smell that is hard to get rid of. Even as a smoker, I want my hotel room to smell clean. A hotel that smelled like smoke would not get my business.
As far as how to get around this, I guess the only option is to suck it up. Or find friends in the area that smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Even in-country, U.S. in my case, I assume smoking is verboten, so I take it outdoors, and even there, if I am in town, I try to get off to myself or in an open area. A pipe is supposed to be contemplative, so I don't want to get entangled in a dispute about my culture and my rights. I'm surprised when a pleasant smoking area is provided outdoors, sometimes with seating and shelter. Even as a non-smoker, which I've been intermittently, I thought/think that is a classy thing to do. Extra stars for lodgings that provide for individual people.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just come back from my short border-crossing overnight trip to Russia(bringing some tobaccies along, which was the main purpose of this trip)now, this was the second time when I couldn't find any smoking lounge nor ashtrays anywhere in these Hotels,and note, this was in Russia not in California, however with some clever manipulations I managed to smoke a little in my room, but I can't help wondering how the smoker is supposed to stay over the longer period of time in these like establishments (outside areas are smoke-free as well) where smoking is supposedly totally banned, this is starting to get really on my nerves,
Simple solution, don't visit Russia. There's nothing there worth seeing. Visit Las Vegas.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Simple solution, don't visit Russia. There's nothing there worth seeing.

Oh, I don’t know…

10.jpg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've been staying at Airbnb rentals vs hotels. I look for ones that have an outside deck. I inquire with the owner about smoking on the deck only, out of respect. There's usually at least one or two places within a half hour that allow smoking. Last visit to Raleigh, NC, I found an excellent B&M in nearby Apex that had a great lounge.

Enjoy what few smoking freedoms that are left.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There's something there worth seeing?
Oh yes! Vegas is the mecca for exuberant bad taste. There are galleries filled with howlingly horrible kitch art that sells for 5 to 6 figures. There are people walking the hotels that make Walmart people look like exponents of haute couture. The Strip is surrealistic trash in a truly wonderful way.

And away from the Strip there's plenty of outdoor recreation.

And there's the WCPS, which is the only reason I go to Vegas, and that's very much worth seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.