PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
With the possible exception of Esoterica, the stuff that's still in production isn't as difficult to get as most people believe. You just have to actually order it when it comes into stock.

For stuff out of production I see no real need to chase something with a permanently limited supply even though I have chased a few. The ones I did chase I just got a few tins so I could try it and to 1, see if I actually like it and 2, find something in the same vein that I could enjoy, replenish, and forget about the old unicorn.

Of the out of production stuff I've tried I give an enthusiastic "meh". Sure, it's actually pretty good stuff but there's better out there. Saying that it is not exactly the same does not speak to "better" or "worse", it's simply not the same. I don't care that it's not the "same". I think far to many people view some of these blends with the rose colored glasses of nostalgia and over-hype them.

The only remaining unicorn on my list is Motzek Strang.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
With the possible exception of Esoterica, the stuff that's still in production isn't as difficult to get as most people believe. You just have to actually order it when it comes into stock.

For stuff out of production I see no real need to chase something with a permanently limited supply even though I have chased a few. The ones I did chase I just got a few tins so I could try it and to 1, see if I actually like it and 2, find something in the same vein that I could enjoy, replenish, and forget about the old unicorn.

Of the out of production stuff I've tried I give an enthusiastic "meh". Sure, it's actually pretty good stuff but there's better out there. Saying that it is not exactly the same does not speak to "better" or "worse", it's simply not the same. I don't care that it's not the "same". I think far to many people view some of these blends with the rose colored glasses of nostalgia and over-hype them.

The only remaining unicorn on my list is Motzek Strang.

All great points! And I forgot to add Esoterica to my list...

Reactions: Fooberticus

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'd love to try the stuff that was grown in the Americas pre colonization. Then the stuff boated back to Europe right as the stuff is about to become the next big thing...... And so on. In other words who ever is working on the time travel machine when ever you get it finished swing by now and pick me up.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
After doing some daily research this year and acquiring my other wishlist tobaccos, Stonehaven and/or JFG’s rich dark is the last on my list... I am keeping hope alive!

Reactions: BROBS

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
though I can't ever be sure how it compares to what was grown back then, so many factors. Though I like Rustica to be honest.

Reactions: Chasing Embers
Status
Not open for further replies.