Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in and Shortened Title - Bob

So I keep hearing about English blends are a must. I thought after about 3-4 months of smoking pipes I'd be ready.
I wanted to try some Boswells. Most are fine that I got but the Countryside (I was excited for that one) tasted sooo odd at first. I then placed the flavor so something like a strong whiff of one of my campfires' smoke.
I tried and tried but just could not get into it. I've been doing a lot of light blends, some aromatics, and I guess a VAPer (DORCHESTER).
Am I going to "get it"- did I do something wrong on the prep? Bad batch?
I used to smoke cigars for years though had stopped mostly for a couple years. Felt like I never knew pipes well enough to do them right (pre-Internet days). Thank God there's a wealth of information now and we do have a pricey but good tobacconist not far from me.

So is it me? Will I graduate? What will happen to this aging males foray into English blends?
?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: indoeuro

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Latakia (a mainstay in English blends) is not for everyone. Many love it (myself included) others find it overpowers the rest of any blend it is in. And you'll find every opinion in between. I would try a few more english blends. If you still don't like them, smoke what makes you happy, but return to them every once in a while just to check in. Palates change, as do tastes. You will find people on this forum who smoked latakia for years and now can't stand it, as well as the opposite.

My personal philosophy is to smoke what makes you happy, but also never stop exploring.

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
Lat turned my stomach when i first started. even the tin note of a lat heavy blend gave me an awful headache. i tried and find blends now w just a pinch of Lat. i read reviews and make sure people mention that its a background player and not leading the band. so far this has been successful. im far from enjoying english blends, but i like slowly expanding my palate.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
Lat turned my stomach when i first started. even the tin note of a lat heavy blend gave me an awful headache. i tried and find blends now w just a pinch of Lat. i read reviews and make sure people mention that its a background player and not leading the band. so far this has been successful. im far from enjoying english blends, but i like slowly expanding my palate.
Thanks rdoss16 - that makes sense. I could be wrong but I think this blend went heavy on it. I asked my wife to smell and she could not get near it lol. That's a 1st for her though not a smoker.

Any thoughts on taking the 2 oz I have of that Boswell Countryside and finding a blend to further lighten it? I hate to waste it. Guess I can give it to someone at the tobacconist that would be happy to smoke it.

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
Good on you for wanting to try new stuff! That said, the pipe tobacco world is so huge, you're almost wasting your time by not just smoking styles that you know you like.
For easing into Englishes, I say try Missouri Meerschaum American Patriot or any blend billed as "American-English" or "crossover English." Those are typically lighter on the Latakia. To echo rdross16 above, read reviews on one of the sites, this forum, or tobaccoreviews.com before buying.
Also try Presbyterian.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I agree with what the others here have said. There are plenty of experienced pipe smokers who are basically pipe tobacco connoisseurs who do not care for English blends.

As @alaskanpiper said, it would be a good idea to try a few more English blends before deciding whether you want to keep smoking them at this point. I would recommend trying Hearth and Home White Knight, which is a "Balkan" blend. Some would say there is really no line between English and Balkan blends and that they are basically the same thing. Anyhow, White Knight is a very good blend that contains latakia, but it is not at all in-your-face or spicy or poignant the way many latakia blends can be. The "smoky" element is still there, but it shouldn't be as much of a "campfire smoke in your face" experience as many other English blends.

Reactions: cosgringo

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Thanks rdoss16 - that makes sense. I could be wrong but I think this blend went heavy on it. I asked my wife to smell and she could not get near it lol. That's a 1st for her though not a smoker.

Any thoughts on taking the 2 oz I have of that Boswell Countryside and finding a blend to further lighten it? I hate to waste it. Guess I can give it to someone at the tobacconist that would be happy to smoke it.

Put the Countryside in a mason jar and save it to revisit down the road. Though I've smoked several tins of Boswell's somewhat comparable Northwoods blend, I haven't smoked Countryside, but my understanding is that Countryside is supposed to be somewhat moderate and middle-of-the-road in regards to how powerful of a blend it is.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Latakia is the stinky cheese of the pipe world. If it clicks with you it's amazing (personally I love Stilton), but if it doesn't then it ranges from kind of gross (would eat it if nothing else was available) up into what is wrong with people how can they eat this it's so gross. Me I love Latakia but too much in the wrong mixture can kill a pipe blend for me faster than any other type of leaf. Honestly for me the best seems to be medium strength with other flavorful leafs.

Reactions: Bowie and cosgringo

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
Put the Countryside in a mason jar and save it to revisit down the road. Though I've smoked several tins of Boswell's somewhat comparable Northwoods blend, I haven't smoked Countryside, but my understanding is that Countryside is supposed to be somewhat moderate and middle-of-the-road in regards to how powerful of a blend it is.
Thank u sir!

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
I appreciate everyone's feedback. I did read up on Latakia but I somehow thought this highly rated blend would work for me (rated only be a few though).
I think I will do as lawdawg mentioned. I do not camp much now thanks to my ruined spine/cervical cord but I try and I could see that being the time to break out that tobacco for sure.
The suggestions for brands is helpful. I guess the lighter the blend (or less Latakia)- best option I guess.
I like Dorchester and I here folks that hate that one. That was suggested at the tobacconist and they can't keep in stock.

My cadence is high as I guess I long for a strong flavor so I would have guessed it a good fit. I just end up puffing aways and of course jacking up my mouth with rampant disregard daily. I just cannot seem to get enough. I realize I need to slow it down but as of late I don't get to sleep until after 3 am as I smoke more after wifey crashes.

Reactions: Bowie

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'm not a fan of Lane's, but their HGL is a nice English aromatic, or crossover some would call it.

A very nice aromatic with latakia is Sillem's Black. Highly recommended.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
I'm not a fan of Lane's, but their HGL is a nice English aromatic, or crossover some would call it.

A very nice aromatic with latakia is Sillem's Black. Highly recommended.
Sounds perfect. I actually do have some of Lane's "boring" stuff 1Q and Creme Brulee (I think that Lane or perhaps Sutliff) which I've blasphemously blended with other ones to give it some more lift. 1Q is a reason I end up puffing away too fast I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.