Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m thinking about buying a poker for burleys, just seems like the right sort of pipe.
Absolutely any pipe can be used for burleys... or any blend for that matter. But, some tobaccos just don't stove well while being smoked (as happens in a pipe that is twice as deep a chamber as it is wide), so for most of my burley smokes, I prefer a pipe that has as wide an inner chamber as it is deep, or almost... like a .80"x1" deep. Wider pipes also bring out some cigar notes from burleys for me. Pots. I like shallow, wide pots for my burleys.

But, as I have said, YMMV because any pipe can smoke any type of leaf. It's just my preferences.

Reactions: mtwaller and Bowie
I don't really think of Dark Fired Kentucky as a burley. I believe that one of our members jitterbugdude, a long time tobacco farmer that also runs the tobacco growers forum, has posted that technically, DFK is a thing of it's own, as far as varietals go. Even if it were technically a true burley, I would still put it in the condimental tobacco category.

When I want a burley smoke, I think of those buttery deep notes of nuts and oats, with some hints of cigar when smoked in a wide pipe. DFK is what I crave when I want something a little less than latakia, but more than burley.

To each their own.

Reactions: mtwaller and Casual
Status
Not open for further replies.