PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I've read that the most popular object in the modern physics collection at the National Museum of American History is a battered old pipe from Einstein. I think a pipe that has clearly seen long use carries a strong connection with the person who used it. If one of my sons wants a beat up, chewed upon, old pipe to remember me by they can have it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
As my pipe smoking hobby progresses through time, and my kids get older, I'm often stricken with some cognitive dissonance. As a father, culture tells me I don't want my kids to use tobacco. As a pipe smoker, the idea of handing my first pipe down to one of my children is heartwarming and meaningful.
look I've seen that happen a lot. And 90 percent of the time the kids either already smoke cigs or don't smoke anything so the pipe doesn't make anyone smoke. That said the pipes are all cherished and adored that have been handed down this way.

Reactions: Mr.Mike and kurtbob

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I have 3 sons, 16, 15 & 3 (oops!) - they all love that dad is a moderate pipe & cigar smoker. They each have a favorite pipe - which will be passed on to them when they are 18 if they wish. The 3yr old loves to “assist” in picking out the pipe/tobacco combo and changes his mind about which is his favorite on a daily basis. They each have half a box of exceptional cigars sitting in my humidor. The first half was passed out to their grandfathers, uncles and godfathers on the day of their birth. The other half will be shared with their old man - God willing - on milestone dates in their lives. 18th & 21st birthdays, engagement, wedding and birth of their own children should wrap up the box nicely! While I won’t push my boys to partake, at this point in the older boys lives, they love the idea and often talk about when we can enjoy a pipe, cigar, scotch, beer or glass of wine together. You can’t buy class, but you can model to your kids what it looks like to live well, love deeply, champion integrity and pursue true masculinity. They’re not the only ones anticipating sharing those smokes - but my perspective on those days will be one of deep thankfulness that God has brought us this far and blessed my wife and I so lavishly.
Said well

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
With the exception of my Altinok Santa Claus meerschaum, which my youngest son will get on my passing, I'll just leave it up to my surviving family members to decide what to do with the remainder of the pipes. My wife says if she survives me, she'll have them all cremated with me along with all the tobacco. Typical wife answer.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
two sons. both don't care for my bagpipes. they hate tobacco of any kind. they don't like my watch. i'm sure they wouldn't care for my pipes. but they like my knife collection. they can fight over those.

Reactions: kurtbob

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I have no kids, but a couple of the nephews have shown some interest in my pipes I’ve had on the mantle.
They will have their choice, the rest will probably end up.........

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
Like my non-smoking father told me, I have told my (fortunately still non-smoking) 18 year old son how stupid it is to start smoking. But I also told him that my beloved Dunhill may be of higher resale value than my corncob, the day I am gone...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I scorn the wristwatch ads that urge people to buy extra expensive watches so they can pass them down to their kids, as if that's the motivation rather than an excuse to pay real estate prices for a watch to show on your own wrist. Hey, be honest with yourself. But sure, if one of your kids takes up the pipe, I'd quietly provide for that inheritance. It is also likely that none will, so leave instructions to sell them through a knowledgeable dealer who does this sort of thing, with proceeds to your beneficiaries. Also, you may befriend other, younger pipe smokers, and you could pass along some of your pipes to them while you are still around to have that pleasure. That way you aren't corrupting anyone, but showing kindness to friends. Your own kids will make up their own minds for sure; that's one decision you don't have to make. You could give one pipe to each non-smoking kid as something personal, when you are still around.

Reactions: Mr.Mike

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
As my pipe smoking hobby progresses through time, and my kids get older, I'm often stricken with some cognitive dissonance. As a father, culture tells me I don't want my kids to use tobacco. As a pipe smoker, the idea of handing my first pipe down to one of my children is heartwarming and meaningful. Obviously I'm not going to force the hobby on them when they become of age but I suppose I just have to wait and see if that moment ever comes when I have to make that decision. Any of you "old timers" hand your pipes down, or received pipes from your elder?

Yep: The way tobacco use is now portrayed has given me a bad case of cognitive dissonance, too. Thinking about the subject makes me feel nostalgic for my beginner days as a pipe guy, when a pipe-smoking dad, grandpa, or uncle wouldn't consider it a big deal to pass on a pipe to a son, grandson, or nephew - and would be just as likely to provide a little guidance in how to smoke and enjoy it. Sharing the camaraderie of the hobby seemed like a pretty natural thing.

I inherited a fondness for pipes from my grandpa. From the time I was a kid, I knew I'd eventually smoke a pipe because I loved the aroma and my grandpa's pipe ritual. My dad also occasionally smoked a pipe. I'd secretly admire the pipes in their pipe racks and imagine myself smoking them. When no one was around, I'd pose with one, hold it in my mouth, and look at myself in the mirror. I'm sure I fantasized about being given one of those pipes when I was old enough.

I didn't actually acquire my first pipe that way. As a teenager, I couldn't wait, so I "borrowed" one of my dad's pipes and tried smoking it for a while before I returned it. Not the greatest experience, but good enough to fuel my passion to learn. I acquired a Medico and a Dr. G when I was about 15 - generally smoked in secret until I headed off to college. I remember spending a weekend at my grandparents' house and spotting an unfamiliar pipe in my grandpa's pipe rack, sort of a Canadian billiard with a really slender shank. I mentioned how cool I thought it was and wondered why I hadn't seen it before. My grandpa said he hadn't smoked it in years and was going to give it away. When I said I'd be glad to give it a good home, he smiled and hinted that I should give it a good cleaning first (I did). I loved the look of that pipe. Still do. Funny: I knew my grandpa knew I'd started smoking a pipe, but I don't think he outright acknowledged it. One time, he noticed I had a packet of Amphora in my back pocket and asked how I liked it. Another time, he wanted to know if that pipe "was working out" for me. It sure was. ;-)

My dad handed down a pipe to me the day of my sister's wedding, the first time I'd ever smoked a bowl in front of him. He wanted to know how long I'd been a pipe smoker, and I told him the story of "borrowing" his pipe when I was an adolescent. We had a good laugh about it, and then he went hunting for that same pipe, which he said I should have as a keepsake - even if it was in the same poor shape as it had been when I smoked it on the sly a decade before.

Really good memories of my coming-of-age as a pipe smoking guy. ;-)

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
That was a great story man, thanks for sharing. I teach my kids that moderation is important, and that I'm not addicted to my tobacco. Well, not to smoking it that is, buying it and stockpiling it is a different story haha.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
They are pipes, smoking tools not some sort of family heirloom! I suppose of one of your offspring states a desire for an old pipe, give it to him, then and there. Why make him/her wait for your death?
I came from 2-3 generations of pipe smokers. Not that any of their pipes were family heirlooms but it was only natural that I wanted their pipes when their time passed; I had started smoking a pipe in college. I suspect feelings about my pipes & the pipes of the previous couple of generations before me might be thought of differently by my adult children when I pass.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Speaking as the son of a long time pipe smoker and as a father myself I can tell you to save your pipes for your kids. They may be like me, who approached my dad interested in trying a pipe, but they also might want your pipes just because they are part of your image to them. If you are an avid pipe smoker, they may relate a certain pipe or pipes to you and may want them as a keepsake of their father.

I know it feels odd given what is known about the effects of smoking. My dad is also a guitar player. I associate him with his guitars, and I want one of his when he passes to remember him by. I can't play the guitar (I play the concertina.) and don't really want to learn, but I do want to keep an item that is part of my mental image of the man I admire.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Speaking as the son of a long time pipe smoker and as a father myself I can tell you to save your pipes for your kids. They may be like me, who approached my dad interested in trying a pipe, but they also might want your pipes just because they are part of your image to them. If you are an avid pipe smoker, they may relate a certain pipe or pipes to you and may want them as a keepsake of their father.

I know it feels odd given what is known about the effects of smoking. My dad is also a guitar player. I associate him with his guitars, and I want one of his when he passes to remember him by. I can't play the guitar (I play the concertina.) and don't really want to learn, but I do want to keep an item that is part of my mental image of the man I admire.
Well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.