PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

James8855

Might Stick Around
Sep 23, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

I was smoking pipe outside and it suddenly started raining lightly. I still managed to enjoy my pipe but is rain bad for the pipe(briar)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've heard somewhere that there's an art to packing a pipe so that it can be smoked upside-down, for the purpose of smoking in the rain.
No art is required IMHO. Just pack as usual and smoke.
+1
The heat causes the tobacco to expand and stay in place. I've done it a number of times during showers while working in the yard.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
As Ray and Chasingembers have stated, you can turn your bowl upside down. It has frequently been depicted for a variety of fishermen out in their boats in a heavy rain or in rough seas. For me, in light rain it really isn’t necessary... but I have done so many times in heavier rains. But, at least IMO, for it to work well, you need a straight stemmed pipe. Trying the upside down technique with a bent briar is not particularly helpful, nor picturesque. :)

James8855

Might Stick Around
Sep 23, 2019
As Ray and Chasingembers have stated, you can turn your bowl upside down. It has frequently been depicted for a variety of fishermen out in their boats in a heavy rain or in rough seas. For me, in light rain it really isn’t necessary... but I have done so many times in heavier rains. But, at least IMO, for it to work well, you need a straight stemmed pipe. Trying the upside down technique with a bent briar is not particularly helpful, nor picturesque. :)
It’s not the tobacco I’m worried about. It’s the inside and rim of the bowl I’m concerned. Will it absorb the water and ruin the pipe bowl?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It’s not the tobacco I’m worried about. It’s the inside and rim of the bowl I’m concerned. Will it absorb the water and ruin the pipe bowl?
Just buff the bowl off with a soft towel and wipe out the chamber with a paper towel after smoking and all should be right as......well, rain.?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Nah. Unless it’s a cob. I left a cob on my front porch after mowing and a few days later I saw it sitting there. It had a half bowl completely soaked with rain in it. Even that after it dried out smokes fine but has a bit of an out of round shape to it now ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Nah. Unless it’s a cob. I left a cob on my front porch after mowing and a few days later I saw it sitting there. It had a half bowl completely soaked with rain in it. Even that after it dried out smokes fine but has a bit of an out of round shape to it now
Haha. I dropped a Dagner poker cob over the rail while salmon trolling once. It floats! We finished our pass over the fish and then turned around to get it about 5-10 minutes later. This was in the ocean so I gave it a good freshwater rinse when I got home. The pipe still smokes like a champ with no ill effects other than the fact that the shank has swollen up so much that I can't remove the stem.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think the biggest fear of hurting a pipe by smoking it in the rain would be if you smoked really super hot. O.k. the only time I've seen that problem is with people who could finish a large bowl in 20 minutes. Unless that's you I wouldn't worry about a little rain.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.