PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’ve yet to smoke a straight Burley, or even a Burley-forward blend. I’m waiting to pull the trigger on a dedicated Burley pipe, but figured I’d go ahead and buy a couple blends for when said pipe eventually gets purchased.

I picked up 2 tins of C&D Burley #1 because it seems to be much-loved (and on sale on SP), and a tin of Solani Aged Burley.

Any others I’m missing that just can’t be lived without?

Reactions: danimalia

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Start with VaBurs and move toward straight burley. Esoterica Tilbury if you can get it. That's what got me to begin appreciating them more. C and D Briar Fox is a good option, the Solani ABF you picked up is a great blend, and another good one is HH Burley Flake.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
@olkofri your acronym has gone clean over my head. Care to elaborate?
Lane's LBWB: Light Burley Without Bite.

I added the laughing emoji because I'm not sure it's gonna be taken seriously as a burley blend.

I'm also wanting to try a burley/burley forward: but I'm concerned about bite. I'm told that burley tends to bite. I'm also wondering if its nicotine content is also something a predominantly aro smoker should be concerned about.

I've been eyeing MB's HH Burley Flake, but I'd like other suggestions.

Reactions: Bowie and mtwaller

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Manil's Le Petit Robin

It's Semois which is burley from Belgium.

Edit to say:

If you're a burley-phile your cellar is not complete without it!

Reactions: mtwaller

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Another good cheap option is a straight OTC burley just to orient yourself to the flavor of straight burley. Amphora
Manil's Le Petit Robin

It's Semois which is burley from Belgium.

Edit to say:

If you're a burley-phile your cellar is not complete without it!

This will definitely taste like Burley! Haha, you could go the straightforward one dimensional burley route to orient yourself to the flavor of straight burley as well. A cheap OTC, five brothers, is actually pretty darn good. If you are sensitive to nicotine though, it will kick you right in the dick.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I don’t understand dedicating pipes to blends I guess?

Over just burley I prefer Dark Fired Kentucky.

Reactions: danimalia

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
Missouri Meerschaum American Patriot is a great Burley blend, as is Peterson Irish Dew. For mass market tobacco, you could do a lot worse than Carter Hall. I prefer it over Prince Albert, but your taste may differ.

Reactions: Bowie

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
Lane's LBWB: Light Burley Without Bite.

I added the laughing emoji because I'm not sure it's gonna be taken seriously as a burley blend.

I'm also wanting to try a burley/burley forward: but I'm concerned about bite. I'm told that burley tends to bite. I'm also wondering if its nicotine content is also something a predominantly aro smoker should be concerned about.

I've been eyeing MB's HH Burley Flake, but I'd like other suggestions.
I think it depends on how alkaline your mouth is. Burleys smoke cool for me but get bitter if I smoke to fast. Virginias almost always bite the hell out of me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D was one blender that reintroduced burley as a serious blending tobacco, not just a codger blend, so if you peruse retailer pages on C&D blends you will get a world of ideas on all of their burley based and burley condiment inclusive blends. mity's suggestions are good ones; Semois is a Belgium burley variant, notably distinctive. Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic is burley based with Virginia as a condiment and three liqueurs for flavoring. Five Brothers is a good old time blend with strong nicotine to be treated with respect. Happy exploring in the burley world. I do like burley.

Status
Not open for further replies.