PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since the Pipesmagazine site was upgraded it seems the membership has ballooned, with new member introductions appearing nearly every day, often in numbers. I would guess this is because the new site is more available to a wider array of devices, and perhaps other reasons. I guess there are numbers onsite of total membership, if not total over time. I hope many or most of these new members are not just impulse joiners, but that they'll dive into the discussion regularly and stay with us over time. Welcome to you all, and feel free to chime in, or more appropriately, pipe up. Here's to the "new kids," who will soon become regulars and eventually old timers. To what do you attribute the boom? If you are new, what inspired you to join?

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Since the Pipesmagazine site was upgraded it seems the membership has ballooned, with new member introductions appearing nearly every day, often in numbers. I would guess this is because the new site is more available to a wider array of devices, and perhaps other reasons. I guess there are numbers onsite of total membership, if not total over time. I hope many or most of these new members are not just impulse joiners, but that they'll dive into the discussion regularly and stay with us over time. Welcome to you all, and feel free to chime in, or more appropriately, pipe up. Here's to the "new kids," who will soon become regulars and eventually old timers. To what do you attribute the boom? If you are new, what inspired you to join?
I would also like to note that since the initial boom in October, it has also seemed that overall participation has slowed in the last few weeks?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Déjà vù

Reactions: jpmcwjr

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
To what do you attribute the boom? If you are new, what inspired you to join?

I'll bite ☺ I'm just over a month in- so I'm in the "new kid" category.

Pipesmagazine is probably the most comprehensive and accessible resource for information on pipes and tobacco today. The old timers here provide an incredible wealth of knowledge and this forum makes it possible to gain insight on every facet of the topic.
Have a question on an obscure line of pipes? Pipesmagazine probably has an archived thread with every answer you seek. Searching for information on tobacco blending? Pipesmagazine already has it covered.

If I had to formulate a theory behind the membership boom- I'd associate it with the site's prevalence in search engine results. More people know about it and have access to it than ever before.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
If I had to formulate a theory behind the membership boom- I'd associate it with the site's prevalence in search engine results. More people know about it and have access to it than ever before.

I would guess the same. I've been here on and off for a few years now, and I initially joined because this forum usually had the best information based on google search results about pipe smoking generally and about specific pipe brands or blends. I can only venture to guess that the upgraded site includes better search engine optimization.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
I'd largely echo @supperthyme - this site is indeed a great resource and due to the content being so richly tagged RDFA picks that up quite well, you end up commonly on the top or high up on a lot of pipe tobacco related search results.

I'd been lurking for a long time before I decided to join up. The inspiration was to be part of a community and to poke questions at the codgers who've been doing this for years. Tap that knowledge ;-)

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
This is now the deepest and broadest site for pipes. Other sites, and before them, groups and BBS's, have come and gone for whatever reason. The new format certainly helps.

Welcome to all the newbies and do keep posting.

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
I’m a couple months in, its in part because of the mobile accessibility and also because I have started to be more interested in the depths of vintage pipes. The pipe that tipped me into conversation was my Comoy’s 498. To be honest

Then boom everyone was so nice and there was so much information I’ve stuck around.

I remember the old site and it felt to cumbersome to dig around on. I actually wondered if it was still a functioning site. Which is obviously absurd, but true...

Love being here! Thanks everyone for being a great community :)

Reactions: admin and kurtbob
Status
Not open for further replies.