PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Here's one for the more experienced smokers - how to you qualify "palate fatigue"?

Based on what little I've read about it, it would seem that it normally kicks in later in the day after you've had a number of bowls.

I think that I have experienced it, as sometimes on a day where I've had more than an average amount of bowls, I find that all the blends I try seem to all have an overpowering and offputting "citrus" taste. Does this sound like it?

I tend to call it quits for the day when I can't discern a burley from a Virginia.

If any of the old-timers among us have tips from trial and error as to how to avoid this, your comments would be most welcome as well

Reactions: anotherbob

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
If I smoke too much or get a bit too hot, I get a charred mouth feeling. I just don’t feel like smoking. I take a day or two off. Next pipe is usually delicious! I’m a one bowl a day smoker usually, if that helps.

Also there are just some blends that seem to not work for me. I try them in several pipes, but they still taste ehhh or don’t burn we’ll for my style. Jar and move on, there are so many blends to try.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Yup, when nothing tastes good or you can’t tell your favorite blends from your least favorites or especially when you get no taste at all it’s time to take a break from the pipe.

I usually restart with burley or straight VA and work back up to English or Lakelands or whatever.

Reactions: BROBS and Spinkle

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Sometimes it's a taste in the mouth that doesn't go away, other times it's a numbing effect where your taste is dulled down and your tongue feels over-used. It varies greatly depending on the blend you smoke as well as your individual mouth chemistry. Some blends are much more likely to cause fatigue than others. Aside from tongue bite, it's probably the main factor that determines whether a blend is to be considered an all day smoke or not.

My method of avoiding it (or at least delaying it) is to change what I smoke from bowl to bowl. A Balkan followed by a VaPer, a burley followed by a straight virginia, basically trying to balance out the load or stress I'm putting on my tongue.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Eat and/or drink something to cleanse your palate. Brush your teeth. Get one of the squirt bottles of Biotene. Use a tongue scraper. And as suggested before, start with milder horns and progressively smoke stronger horns.
This.

As slow as I smoke, don't think I've ever experienced it as my smoke is only slightly perceptable and doesn't overly saturate my mouth. I do smoke two group 4-magnum pipes per day.

Reactions: Spinkle and kurtbob

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
I smoke two bowls a day at most, and usually one. While smoking, I take small sips of Amontillado sherry from time to time, and also ice water. I find the sherry to be a good foil for the heaviness of the tobacco .....refreshes the palate, as it were.
If I smoked more than two or three bowls a day, palate fatigue would be an issue for sure. I agree with jttnk that pipes taste better with a day off.

Reactions: Spinkle

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I smoke 1-2 bowls a day. During summer weekends that number can double. I usually start the day off light with a Virginia or an aromatic, drink lots of water and gradually smoke my way into vapers to end the day on heavy days. If I notice that my body needs a break from pipes I will take a week off, more if needed.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
I've never really gotten palate fatigue, I've always joked that I have an elastic palate. Bounces back to neutral after anything with just a few sips of water. I went from 4 cigars a day to about 10 pipes, and I really have no system for what I smoke and when. I just grab whatever tin or cigar I'm in the mood for. I usually have coffee beside me, but I've found coffee clashes with what I'm smoking more often than what I smoked before.
I imagine someday palate fatigue will catch up to me, but I really haven't had to worry about it after 5 or 6 years.

Reactions: Spinkle and jpmcwjr

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
The most I can smoke is once or twice a week, on weekends. I’ve gotten used to having a bowl Friday night after at least 5 days of rest, and maybe one on a Sunday. So if I have even two bowls in a day, the second one definitely doesn’t have the same richness as the first.

Just a guess, but I imagine we all settle into a frequency where we become familiar with the smoke at our normal rate, and notice when we increase or decrease by a significant amount.

Reactions: BROBS and Spinkle

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Smoke at least 10 bowls a day. The tobaccos range from light Danish Burley flakes to Hal O The Wynd on most days. I do always have something to drink on hand though. Never can say I’ve ever had palate fatigue

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most of us have sensory limits, a zone where we are alive to sensory stimulus and a tapering off. Food, booze, certainly music, though people numb themselves by having a soundtrack on most of the day. A pipe should be most all pleasure, then quit for the day. Likewise, rotating blends is a way to stay alert to the experience.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Mondays are my heavy smoking days where I smoke 4+ bowls. Last night I reached the point where I knew I was done and didn’t finish the bowl. My throat and sinuses let me know when I’m done.

It’s a similar sensation as the beginning of a head cold.

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Eat and/or drink something to cleanse your palate. Brush your teeth. Get one of the squirt bottles of Biotene. Use a tongue scraper. And as suggested before, start with milder horns and progressively smoke stronger horns.
Hi Hoosier, I've seen you mention this before in the context of tongue-bite. I'm not sure I've ever experienced tongue-bite, but perhaps I'm misinterpreting the "palate fatigue" and that's what I'm getting? I was under the impression that they were distinct problems but perhaps they are one and the same.

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ice water works best for me, drink wise. Apples are the best palate refreshers I know. I also switch my smokes constantly, and most of the time, I switch genres from smoke to smoke, too. That helps a lot.
I will try the apples trick as we always have close to a bushel around the place as its one of the only snacks my son will eat. Thanks Jim.

Reactions: JimInks and kurtbob
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Hi Hoosier, I've seen you mention this before in the context of tongue-bite. I'm not sure I've ever experienced tongue-bite, but perhaps I'm misinterpreting the "palate fatigue" and that's what I'm getting? I was under the impression that they were distinct problems but perhaps they are one and the same.

I suppose they could be distinct or overlap for some. I mentioned Biotene because the primary benefit I see from it is to stimulate salivation and get rid of dry mouth. The side benefits of that would be to help alleviate tongue burn and also refresh the palate. Kind of like killing two birds with one stone.

Reactions: JimInks

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I really enjoy F&K Black Bayou Mist (the DFK and Oriental interplay beautifully to me). It tends to burn on the fast side, dry from the jar so I don’t dry it at all, and I always smoke two bowls from a Sav Hercules.

It beats the absolute h**l out of my mouth and throat no matter what. When I decide on this blend, it’s just the rule: I’m having two bowls of it that day, nothing else, and that’s just that.

Sorry for the ramble, but this qualifies as a palate a$$ whipping on my end! With this blend though, it’s worth it.

ETA: I’ll have to try the apple trick, regardless of blend. Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.