PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
Never tried a 9mm filter pipe, so maybe someone could share your thoughts. I tend to prefer a straight or slightly bent briar and something more towards the high end as opposed to a budget brand. Been placing activated carbon in the bottom of my regular pipes and like the result, but don't like the extra messing around.

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
If you go to smokingpipes.com and search 9mm you will see all they have.

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I have a 2013 Dunhill 4103F, which has a 9mm filter chamber. This is one of my best smokers, though I use it without filter now. Before that I used to have "Vauen Größe 1" filters in it. Those are not typical filters, as they have a hole in them, which lets the smoke pass through unfiltered, but they absorb the moisture.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You have a wide selection of brands, which in the U.S. often sell for a little less because the 9 mm filter isn't as widely used here. German and Austrian pipes are often 9 mm filtered. I think there are Stanwells and Chacoms. Europe smokes a lot of 9 mm filter pipes. Most of the better known brands will be good quality, and some are good bargains. You then have your choice of using the filters, using an adaptor to smoke without the filter, or with most pipes, using the pipe without the filter if/when you choose. Smokingpipes.com and Pipesandcigars.com have new 9 mm pipes available all the time, as do other online retailers.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Vauen.

Savinelli makes some 9mm filtered pipes too, but they use balsa instead of filters like Dr. Perl. I don't see why Vauens couldn't use balsa too, though.

Tobaccopipes.com also carries Vauen and they might have a larger selection than SPC. You might also want to check Estervals, they might carry another good brand: Design Berlin.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would look at hand made Winslow pipes that have a letter to designate the quality of the grain. They range from A-E ( A is the higher grade and it goes down to E)and they also have a Private Collection designate as the top of the line. I have owned a number of these hand made Winslows and smoked them without a filter or adapter and they all smoked great.

My E pipes smoked the same as my D,C and B pipes. I never owned an A or a PC.

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
Thanks for the reply's. Vauen Cumberland series looks nice. TobaccoPipes.com has one I like the looks of. They're just down the street from where I work, so maybe will stop in and take a look. Rattrays bog oak looks nice as well, but not crazy about bog oak pipes. Will take a look at Winslow, Radice and some others too, as those are ones I hadn't considered.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As a footnote, I smoke mostly non-filter, since I average a bowl or less a day, but I think filter pipes are useful when you plan to smoke considerably more than usual, like at a pipe show to sample tobaccos or a pipe club or pipe shop. Take into account the filter will mute the flavor. You can also use the filter to sample extra strong tobacco, to take its measure before you wade in smoking it unfiltered. I've plunged in without a filter more often than not, but I always intend to have a pleasant experience more than a challenging one.

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
''Brebbia'' - one of the best name for 9mm pipes. And Stanwell or White Elephant 9 mm filters.

Last edited:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Thanks for the reply's. Vauen Cumberland series looks nice. TobaccoPipes.com has one I like the looks of. They're just down the street from where I work, so maybe will stop in and take a look. Rattrays bog oak looks nice as well, but not crazy about bog oak pipes. Will take a look at Winslow, Radice and some others too, as those are ones I hadn't considered.
If you can physically go there definitely do.
Rattray pipes are definitely underrated and he has Vauens there too. I would recommend ponying up and get a white dot Vauen ⚪️. The briar is better quality and they aren’t much more.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I have two pipes that fit 9mm filters.
One is a Bentley Dublin.
The other is a Brebbia Author.
I mostly smoke cob pipes, but every once in a while I need to show off. These smoke pretty good while making me look distinguished.

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
Received my first ever 9mm filter pipe today, a BriarWorks C81F Apple and a box of Vauen Dr. Pear Jr. filters. Smoked one short bowl of Sutliff Midnight Smoke so far. Smokes great and the fit and finish is just fine.9950

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Status
Not open for further replies.