PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Interesting. The only pipe I smoke to the bottom is a meer. I have heard others complain of sucking ashes and such into their mouth, but I thought it was bs or an improperly drilled pipe.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There is a difference between smoking to the very bottom of the bowl and using a lighter to "cash out" any un-burned particles left in the ashes.
Exactly. Several professional restorers have commented to me on the amount of heat being generated to cremate that last strand of "whatsis" and how destructive it can be. Want to know what screws up a pipe? Talk to a top restorer.

And we get the neophyte who is at that stage where he/she is trying to "do it right" and is hearing various forms of BS pipe myths, along the line of "bottom of the bowl/fine white ash" like it's some kind of proof of competence. Instead they're doing damage to their pipes. BTW, the old Sobranie did burn to a fine white ash. Most everything else burns to a fine or gritty mottled ash.

I regularly smoke a bowl to the bottom without relights, and without making an effort to do so. It's not a goal, just something that happens, and as I'm a super slow smoker there's rarely any warming of the bowl. Some blends burn more easily than others. Mostly, I just dump the remaining little bit when the tobacco stops burning.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
The only tobacco that I can’t control myself with is MacBaren’s HH ODF. I simply cannot smoke it slow - a slow medium is more accurate. That said, I smoke it in a cob and am all too happy to light the very last of it. “What’s that woody taste? Oh!” lol

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Never measured it, but that’s roughly where I end up as well. After cork-knocking, I have to admit I’ve felt a sense of shame at that small amount of innocent perfectly smokable dottle. “If only I could have smoked you!”

You can be Holmesian! Just save the dottles from your smokes, put them out to dry overnight, preferably on your fireplace mantel. Yum! What an early morning pipeful!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
This is what happens when someone is determined to burn through every last thread of tobacco in the bottom of the bowl. Smoking to the very bottom of the bowl is something that neophytes or cretinous experienced smokers do. Smoking to the very bottom of the bowl is one of those dumb ass myths that provides income for carvers as smokers burn out their existing pipes.
You let the last little bit go unburnt, dump it, and don't go sending any flamethrowers down the chamber in a search and destroy mission. Your pipe will be the better for it.

As for what is the practical effect of charring the base of the chamber? Weakening the structural integrity of the pipe.
All in the quest for the perfect break-in and the famous cake. :rolleyes:

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
chances are someone's using one of those torches for cigar. with bic and zippo, i haven't had any issues with charring the chamber. and know enough to stop going after the dottle, most of the time. but sometimes, the smoke is so good, i'll try one more time to put light on the tobacco. very gently.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

oldred

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2019
You can be Holmesian! Just save the dottles from your smokes, put them out to dry overnight, preferably on your fireplace mantel. Yum! What an early morning pipeful!
I tried that and it never tastes as good to me. Maybe I'm just a snob...

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I think y'all have covered HOW it happens. I'm curious how much of an issue this is, in the context of considering an estate pipe with such a condition. In other words, what are the effects of this on the pipe/smoking experience?

Also curious about the same with "scraping in the chamber", but I understand if that's a whole 'nother thread.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How much of an issue? Really depends on your specific case. Can you get photos?

In general, it's not an issue with any of the ~gross of pipes I own, nor with any of the 3-400 more I've looked at.

And "scraping in the chamber" also needs to be evaluated on its own. Generally means poorly reamed. But who knows without seeing.

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
How much of an issue? Really depends on your specific case. Can you get photos?

In general, it's not an issue with any of the ~gross of pipes I own, nor with any of the 3-400 more I've looked at.

And "scraping in the chamber" also needs to be evaluated on its own. Generally means poorly reamed. But who knows without seeing.

I'm not looking at anything specific at the moment. I guess I might have one pipe in mind but I don't want to share the link ;)

I've never owned any pipes with those issues, so I'm just asking for future purchases/consideration.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I've seen the description "charring around the airway" on some Smoking Pipe estates. I appreciate their candor but, unless it were extensive, doubt it would make much difference to the smoking characteristics of the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.