PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
As my pipe smoking hobby progresses through time, and my kids get older, I'm often stricken with some cognitive dissonance. As a father, culture tells me I don't want my kids to use tobacco. As a pipe smoker, the idea of handing my first pipe down to one of my children is heartwarming and meaningful. Obviously I'm not going to force the hobby on them when they become of age but I suppose I just have to wait and see if that moment ever comes when I have to make that decision. Any of you "old timers" hand your pipes down, or received pipes from your elder?

Reactions: johnscs

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Regret is a nasty thing. Both grandfathers smoked pipes, I took up the pastime at 48 yrs old because of those memories. Both sadly passed away several years ago and not 1 pipe was passed on or even seen. To this day, I regret not having those pipes.
So, I will pass mine on to my kids when the time comes and let them make their own choice

Maybe I am in some sort of denial, but I see Pipe smoking as significantly less impactful on my health than Cigar smoking would be and I have never labeled cigar smokers at least the ones I hang around with (1 or 2 times per month) as smokers.

Ergo, I consider Pipe smoking (and Cigars) to be in a completely different Universe than I see Cigs or Vape smokers which, in my opinion are the true smokers. I can put my pipe down for a week without even a thought.

I will hand my favorite pipes down to my kids and hope they keep in line with Moderation in all Things.

You can abuse water if you really try....

I have a daughter that smokes now, and the rest are free to make that bad decision if they choose. But, my orders are that my pipes and tobacco are to be burned along with me. None are allowed to get their grubby hands on them. My land and property is free to be fought over accordingly.

But, once I am dead... what do I care?

I am pretty sure that by Congress outlawing all online sales, that pipesmoking will quickly die out quickly after that, anyways.

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Thanks for all the replies. I personally look forward to the day I get to hand a pipe down, if that day comes. And I'm with you sandollars, I don't think pipes are in the same league as cigs. Everything in moderation

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dad smoked a pipe for fifty years, just after breakfast to bed. Never recommended it. When I tried it on my own volition in my 30's, all of the moves had been imprinted on me. No one decided anything; just there it was. Dad quit at 65 and lived to 89 licensed to drive without glasses. I went with him to his final license renewal.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Had I any children, I'd continue the old tradition of giving them a pipe for their Confirmation Day. Great father-son bonding time also to teach them the ropes. I'd also give them ale at 7 years old and let them 'drive' my car by steering the wheel whilst sitting on my lap.

To the culture, the 'science', and the nanny state: ?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I don't think that's a politically-correct emoji. :eek:
The things they make you do when they push you around long enough!
Nerd_Rage!.png

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
As with all things I'll let my child(ren) decide on their own once they are an adult. They'll get my pipes either way, whether they smoke them, keep them as keepsakes, or sell them will be up to them.

Reactions: Spa32 and kurtbob

stogie37

Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
I have 3 sons, 16, 15 & 3 (oops!) - they all love that dad is a moderate pipe & cigar smoker. They each have a favorite pipe - which will be passed on to them when they are 18 if they wish. The 3yr old loves to “assist” in picking out the pipe/tobacco combo and changes his mind about which is his favorite on a daily basis. They each have half a box of exceptional cigars sitting in my humidor. The first half was passed out to their grandfathers, uncles and godfathers on the day of their birth. The other half will be shared with their old man - God willing - on milestone dates in their lives. 18th & 21st birthdays, engagement, wedding and birth of their own children should wrap up the box nicely! While I won’t push my boys to partake, at this point in the older boys lives, they love the idea and often talk about when we can enjoy a pipe, cigar, scotch, beer or glass of wine together. You can’t buy class, but you can model to your kids what it looks like to live well, love deeply, champion integrity and pursue true masculinity. They’re not the only ones anticipating sharing those smokes - but my perspective on those days will be one of deep thankfulness that God has brought us this far and blessed my wife and I so lavishly.

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
My grandad and my dad both smoked pipes until their last days. I have both of their casket flags but none of their pipes. The family didn't see fit to save them while I was off earning my own casket flag. To be fair, my grandad passed before I was old enough to smoke and the only pipe my dad smoked that I would have liked to have was a meer that my brother gave him before my brother passed. I don't have, and probably never will, children so I hope my wife can get a pretty penny for them when I'm gone.

Reactions: kurtbob
Status
Not open for further replies.