Half & Half
Carter Hall
Prince Albert
Dunhill - 3 Year Matured
Savinelli - English Mixture
Mac Baren - Vanella Cream
Mac Baren - HH Pure Virginia
Seattle Pipe Club - Plum Pudding

I like the taste of Half&Half the best, the rest I didn't really care for in varying degrees. Some were too sweet like the Vanilla Cream, others were too "musty" or flavorless. Others were just ho-hum. But although I like Half&Half I find that it is rather mild and I would like something stronger in nicotine. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am looking for something without too much flavoring, maybe even no flavoring, with a little punch. Perhaps loose cut like the H&H.
Any ideas?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I am a new pipe smoker and have so far tried these brands:

Half & Half
Carter Hall
Prince Albert
Dunhill - 3 Year Matured
Savinelli - English Mixture
Mac Baren - Vanella Cream
Mac Baren - HH Pure Virginia
Seattle Pipe Club - Plum Pudding

I like the taste of Half&Half the best, the rest I didn't really care for in varying degrees. Some were too sweet like the Vanilla Cream, others were too "musty" or flavorless. Others were just ho-hum. But although I like Half&Half I find that it is rather mild and I would like something stronger in nicotine. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am looking for something without too much flavoring, maybe even no flavoring, with a little punch. Perhaps loose cut like the H&H.
Any ideas?

I highly suggest trying some of the burley flakes. MacBaren HH Burley Flake, Solani Aged Burley Flake. For a less flavored, plainer-tasrting burley, it's hard to beat C&D. Nicotine-wise, they're a step up from Half and Half and probably closest to Half&Half in terms of flavor profile.

I'd also recommend trying some of the fire-cured tobacco based blends, which is really where most of the highest nicotine blends seem to reside. MacBaren Old Dark Fired, Bold Kentucky, GLP JackKnife Plug, GHC Dark Flake Unscented, the brown ropes. These are all pretty minimally flavored, but very stout in terms of body and nicotine and well worth checking out.

wayne21

Lurker
Jun 22, 2019
Thanks for the suggestions! I have bookmarked some of them to try on my next order. But it will soon be cold here in Canada, and I only smoke outdoors... I might want to taper off on the pipes until Spring. I'll try 'em eventually.

Reactions: danimalia

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't jump to conclusions about what you like. Starting out, you will like blends you won't like later, and you will develop a taste for others you don't like now. Be patient. Russ in the preceding post is a celebrated blender, so I may try that one myself, though I'd have to buy a pouch of Half-and-Half.

wayne21

Lurker
Jun 22, 2019
Don't jump to conclusions about what you like. Starting out, you will like blends you won't like later, and you will develop a taste for others you don't like now. Be patient. Russ in the preceding post is a celebrated blender, so I may try that one myself, though I'd have to buy a pouch of Half-and-Half.

Maybe I shouldn't have thrown out all that tobacco then, doh!

timpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Australia
If you like half and half you will also like Sail Green. For more nicotene try macbaren old dark fired ready rubbed. -Timpiper.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
This may seem a bit odd but if you get a chance to try any semois you should.

I especially like Le Petit Robin.

wayne21

Lurker
Jun 22, 2019
wayne21 said:
I am looking for something without too much flavoring, maybe even no flavoring, with a little punch.
That thing you're looking for. . . it's called cigars
That is what started my interest in tobacco, a cigar. I think the pipe is more my speed. I like that I can be in full control of quantity. I usually only pack about 1/4 of a bowl.

oldmooner

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2011
Sherman, Texas
I know it is not very "sophisticated", but neither is Half and Half. I recommend you at least try a bowl of Sir Walter(SWR). My favorite for over 50 years.

wayne21

Lurker
Jun 22, 2019
Well I have tried some of the suggestions, and I have discovered two gems so far:
Mac Baren - Old Dark Fired​
Cornell & Diehl - Pegasus​
Both have a nice nicotine strength and taste great.

When I first tried pipe smoking I wasn't all that impressed but now I am starting to "get it", to the point that I can't imagine giving it up. I have some more brands lined up for my next order, the journey continues!

Reactions: radrick96
Status
Not open for further replies.