PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
oh dam I forgot one of my best pipe spotting in the wild. Saw Faith No More in the 90's and noticed that their

drummer was smoking a calabash while flailing his arms around. And frankly we all could learn a thing or two

about multitasking our pipe smoking from him. It was very strange to see someone with that serene pipe smokers

gaze and yet also playing drums like a maniac. That was certainly a gold star spotting.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I last saw a pipe smoker here in Sydney in the wild well over a year ago. Probably see a cigar smoker in the open about once a week; plenty of cigarette smokers about and a small number vaping.
I was approached by an American tourist a couple of weeks ago who said the smell of my pipe reminded of her late dad. Other than that I've probably met a dozen or so ex-pipe smokers; most were friendly enough although one had become very anti-smoking and was quite annoying.

Reactions: Lyle b

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Ran across a piper at a local cook out on Friday night. Had a short but good conversation about piping.
Definitely unusual to run into a fellow pipe smoker.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Very rarely do I encounter one actually smoking, but I'm rather frequently approached by people who say they smoke or have quit smoking. I dont think it's that rare but most people probably are loathe to be seen with a pipe.
If you were in Pittsburgh, that was probably me.

catskillcal

Lurker
Jul 15, 2017
[How many "kids" actually vap? ] Ok narrow it to between 16 and 24 and a large enough number to notice as I go about my day. Especially in New York. Sorry to go off track.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Not too many here, although occasionally at concerts, etc. (usually featuring "old guy" bands, of course). I do much more often get the "my [father/grandfather] used to smoke a pipe..."
When it gets too bad (not that often) I'll get my butt in gear & head to Sir Tom's Tobacco Emporium, the local B&M. There, I know I don't have to worry about it. }:)
B

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
There is an old dude I pass on the street most days who always has a pipe on the go. I used to see a lot of them when I lived in the UK particularly on market days or at the county fair normally hanging around outside the beer tent. I have not in recent memory met another 'cutty' pipe smoker although I personally am not difficult to spot since I have always got one in my mouth. I have run into a few clay pipe addicts over the years but that was normally on my travels through the U.K. They always seem to be smoking either something very British or some obscure type of plug or twist if my memory serves me correctly. The last one I seem to vividly remember was Gordon Pollock the clay pipe maker in Stott Street Manchester who I went to visit at the end of the 1980s. Funnily enough when I was at the Chicago Pipe Show with Dan everyone there seemed to be smoking cigars which struck me as a bit odd but hey ho!
The only other clay pipe smokers I've met are 17th - 19th Century re-enactors (Lace Wars, Sealed Knot etc) and this is what started my interest in them.
I see one or two older men smoking briar pipes around Chesterfield and there's one I meet in the garden on my country walks, but that's about it. Some I speak to let me have a pipeful of baccy, while others think I'm a beggar when I ask them!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
About five years ago. I tried to engage that old guy about his blend, but he fled as if pursued. I don't think the older generation thinks of pipe smoking as a convivial conversational activity, probably because they been chastised and run off.

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Only twice comes to mind for me. One was a guy outside a local pub having a beer. The other time was while camping and we ran into a whole pack of them (6 guys) on 3 sites. All together combination of family and friends i believe. Seemed like great guys. We drank some beers, traded some blends and played corn hole for a few hours. Unfortunately it was their last night camping at the park so we didn't get to talk more.