PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I’ve seen two people smoking a pipe in their cars here
Wonder if I was one of them.

I've seen a few here driving around with a pipe in their mouths, and one guy lunting, cob in mouth.
A guy in a dodge magnum I’ve seen at the Tim’s on Ross and Winnipeg st a few times in the mornings. Another guy I saw in a white truck also on Winnipeg street.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've seen hundreds... oh, wait, that wasn't in the wild per se: It was in the smoking tent at the Chicago Pipe Show....
But I do see another smoker about once a month or so, but I live near a tourist mecca.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
There is an old dude I pass on the street most days who always has a pipe on the go. I used to see a lot of them when I lived in the UK particularly on market days or at the county fair normally hanging around outside the beer tent. I have not in recent memory met another 'cutty' pipe smoker although I personally am not difficult to spot since I have always got one in my mouth. I have run into a few clay pipe addicts over the years but that was normally on my travels through the U.K. They always seem to be smoking either something very British or some obscure type of plug or twist if my memory serves me correctly. The last one I seem to vividly remember was Gordon Pollock the clay pipe maker in Stott Street Manchester who I went to visit at the end of the 1980s. Funnily enough when I was at the Chicago Pipe Show with Dan everyone there seemed to be smoking cigars which struck me as a bit odd but hey ho!

derhammer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
Yeah, never. I think I am the only one in a town with the population of almost 400k. Whole New Zealand I think you can count them with your toes and fingers

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I hear Denmark is knee deep in smokers and you can't even wave without knocking a pipe out of someone's mouth.

charf

Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Yeah, never. I think I am the only one in a town with the population of almost 400k. Whole New Zealand I think you can count them with your toes and fingers
Hi Derhammer, I think there is just one of us in each NZ town. We have Sir Bob Jones in Wellington although he is a bit of a controversial character. I think he recently referred to himself as a curmudgeon.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Never. Never saw any other guy smoking a pipe. When I was much younger (1960s) pipe-smokers were far more common. I had two uncles who were pipe smokers, but they both passed away, and that was that. Cigar-smoking guys are far more common and visible. Wish cigar smoke smelled as nice as some pipe tobacco. Ol' Captain Jack, from the NYC Pipe Club smoked a Latakia-cigar leaf blend that could choke a horse!
Personally, I'd smoke more often away from my home, but I find it's a huge PITA and inconvenient to lug around all the needed accoutrements, in some leather handbag. For me, it just ain't worth the trouble....so I smoke at home. I rarely if ever, smoke more than two bowls per day.

jmagen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2016
I smoke anytime I'm outside for an hour or more...kids' ballpark, kid's practice, etc. I've seen one old timer who smokes SWR, but he's there to see a grand kid, and doesn't appear up for conversation whilst visiting. Ran into a trendy type kid in Bismark, ND last month, freight training some fruity stuff.

Local kids are pretty sure I'm either Frosty or Santa himself. Unfortunately I resemble both...

Reactions: Lyle b

frankrem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Huntsville, Arkansas
I smoked every morning before work in our corporate parking lot. I come in an hour early just to sit and enjoy the morning air and my pipe. While I was smoking one morning a pick up truck pulled in beside me and the fella inside went on in the building. Upon finishing my pipe and tiding up I went to exit my vehicle and noticed a pipe laying in the cup holder of the truck that had just pulled in. That is the closest I have come to seeing a pipe smoker in the wild.

derhammer

Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
Hi Derhammer, I think there is just one of us in each NZ town. We have Sir Bob Jones in Wellington although he is a bit of a controversial character. I think he recently referred to himself as a curmudgeon.

Hi Charf, I didn't know about this. I googled him and it turns out he was one of the founders of the libertarian party here in NZ (now defunct?). Interesting character indeed :puffy:

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Here in Ohio, I regularly see at least one pipe smoker at hotrod and vintage car gatherings. Usually sitting near their car.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I was sitting out back of a hotel in bumfuck South Carolina last fall, I’d only been smoking a pipe for maybe a month, and another gentleman walked out with pipe in hand. He didn’t give two shits about brand recognition or anything. I asked him what he was smoking and he said it was a basket briar. I asked what tobacco and he said aromatic. Don’t let me mislead you, he was extremely cordial, even jovial (he was a bit drunk) and we talked for about an hour about his kids and what schools they went to, etc. He just didn’t give a damn about the intricacies of pipe culture. In my excitement to meet another pipe smoker, I proudly showed him a picture of the Rosslare Royal Irish I had on the way, and he smiled as a parent would to a child and said “that’s pretty, enjoy it.” Only other pipe smoker I’ve ever met in the wild (not in a shop).

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Very rarely do I encounter one actually smoking, but I'm rather frequently approached by people who say they smoke or have quit smoking. I dont think it's that rare but most people probably are loathe to be seen with a pipe.

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
I hear Denmark is knee deep in smokers and you can't even wave without knocking a pipe out of someone's mouth.
Well not quite. But here in Copenhagen I do see someone smoking a pipe in public once or twice per month.

pinchoftobacco

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2018
I very rarely see them by me in Upstate, Ny. I see many more cool kids with Vapes :roll:

catskillcal

Lurker
Jul 15, 2017
I second the upstate NY, I rarely smoking in public as I usually have my kids and being of a younger age I feel there are those among our non smoking peers that have a negative opinion of the pipe and connect it automatically to illicit subjects, I also rarely see others smoking. But I also drive a truck for a living so that's my pipe time. Now spotting other pipe smokers on the road is interesting. Not too long ago I saw another driver with a large meer as I passed him in PA. And occasionally I see some older drivers at truck stops with their pipes. Then again I think the fact that we all enjoy something that isn't extensively popular and public is a good thing. Could you imagine the heat from our non-smoking peers if every kid in America gave up their blueberry blast vape juice and grabbed a pipe.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
well pipes are just too inconvenient for most people. I've seen a few in the wild. A guy in a maintenance style work truck. An old guy leaving burger king and not sure what he was smoking but it pretty much smelled of nothing. The weird thing is I've smelled pipe tobacco coming out of a garage on more then a few occasions.