PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Templekeeper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2023
Toronto
Well, so far this thread kills our theory that kids aren't out there picking up pipes. The feds may be right after all... cray
I'm not too sure about that... I'm seeing most people saying they smoked a pipe for more years than they had when they first started...

Aug 1, 2012
I'm not too sure about that... I'm seeing most people saying they smoked a pipe for more years than they had when they first started...
Except that many in the first few pages said they'd started before 18 years old. It doesn't make the "hobby" look good...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Except that many in the first few pages said they'd started before 18 years old. It doesn't make the "hobby" look good...
When we started there was only ID checking for alcohol and no age enforcement on tobacco use. I used to pick my grandfather up cigarettes from the general store before I was 10 years old. IIRC @JimInks and @philobeddoe were 17 as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnscs
Aug 1, 2012
When we started there was only ID checking for alcohol and no age enforcement on tobacco use. I used to pick my grandfather up cigarettes from the general store before I was 10 years old. IIRC @JimInks was 17 as well.
All go to prove the opponent's point that pipe tobacco is impacting teens. Right or wrong, it's another nail in the coffin.

Reactions: Doctor Chopper

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
No argument here, it's just that many of us use the rationale that "teens aren't picking up pipes" to debunk the anti smoking rhetoric and then we have a significant number of us say "I started smoking pipes at 10 years old"...not a good look.

“Teens aren’t picking up pipes” is a statement in the present tense. The people on here who picked them up in their teens did so 25-300 years ago. That statistic may have changed.

No, that’s not a typo.

Aug 1, 2012
“Teens aren’t picking up pipes” is a statement in the present tense. The people on here who picked them up in their teens did so 25-300 years ago. That statistic may have changed.

No, that’s not a typo.
Fair point. The issue is that often we humans will repeat our mistakes. In the absence of other evidence, one might look at our testimony of starting in our early teens as proof that pipe smoking is, in fact, an issue for younger people. We may just want to be careful, in this era of cancelling, that we don't cause our own demise.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Fair point. The issue is that often we humans will repeat our mistakes. In the absence of other evidence, one might look at our testimony of starting in our early teens as proof that pipe smoking is, in fact, an issue for younger people. We may just want to be careful, in this era of cancelling, that we don't cause our own demise.

I agree with you 100%.

Reactions: Doctor Chopper

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
In the absence of other evidence, one might look at our testimony of starting in our early teens as proof that pipe smoking is, in fact, an issue for younger people.
What if it is? Outlawing it will only make it more attractive and an even bigger issue.

in this era of cancelling
Fear mongering and overblown. If not a celebrity or public figure, it's a complete myth.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I started smoking on my 18th birthday, the first day I could legally purchase tobacco in Illinois. Because I loved the packaging—and probably the magazine ads—I bought a pack of Kool Milds. I knew I didn’t want to allow smoking to become an addiction, so I knew I didn’t want to inhale as a habit. But I wanted to try it at least once. I absolutely loved it from the very first puff.

But smoking cigarettes without inhaling really didn’t deliver the tobacco experience I was looking for. Six months later, I’d picked up a corncob. About four months after that, I’d bought my very first briar pipe (which I still own and regularly enjoy). And I was still 18 at the time, at the start of my second year in college.