Another Cosmic Spigot - Rustic Spig

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Totally agree. Often, for better or worse, the artisan is pushed more out of their comfort zone in a commission because they're trying something they normally wouldn't.
One of the nice things about working with Mark and Glenn is that they give me a fair amount of creative license to explore ideas. However, they get the final thumbs up or down. My original design for the Anniversary bands was a third longer down the shaft, but Mark thought that was too long, so… but the edges and the 40 logo were mine. But, I wish I had of designed the logo a little easier to make. I had to handcut the 4 & 0 out and place then for welding. Very teeny tiny work.

Yadkin1765

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2022
Maine
That thing is strong and regal, looks fit for a king. Love the colors and textures. Its fitment looks like a finely sheathed sword and scabbard. I envy who ever gets their hands on that.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Totally agree. Often, for better or worse, the artisan is pushed more out of their comfort zone in a commission because they're trying something they normally wouldn't.
so true. It is amazing how there are times that limitations lead to interesting results django and his missing fingers. Movies and the fact that audiences are preceived to be idiots (got to tease hollywood)

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I don't worry about taking a pipe apart when it's warm, nor am I worried about a pipe breaking... I just like the look of the metal on a spigot. not to toot my own horn, but I've gotten proficient at making a spigot. This one has set on a back burner throughout the Christmas holidays because of orders and a certain flyfisherman pipemaker named Mark has kept me busy making his 40th anniversary pipe bands, and a whole box of other bands. But, the last of his Christmas pipes were boxed up yesterday, so I got to piece this one together. You may notice the texture of this band on a few pipebands on Glenn's pipes going up soon. I used a ball bur and a hammer I fabricated to give the sterling that rustic look. And, of course, each spigot I make, I give the ol' sling test to make sure the fit is snug.

A certain pipemaker made the stummels for me, and I have a few more spig fabrications to go to complete my spigot set. I did get a little stain on the inside of the bowl, but I will polish that out before smoking. The stem is from playing around with vacuum casting acrylic. drilling the suckers is what has me wasting a bunch of interesting stem colorations. Damn acrylic just doesn't track a drillbit well at all.

Anyways, the briar I've had on my other stummels made by this guy is quite mellow but aromatic, and I know this one will be as well. No greenness. It doesn't take a sandblast as well as others I've tried, but I'll get there. I'm still trying with some supervision.

Anyways, with no further fanfare...

View attachment 195255

View attachment 195256

View attachment 195258

View attachment 195259

View attachment 195260

Anyways, i won't be giving up my day job, but... what do you think? Smokable?
Now, that there is a handsome pipe. Nice Tinsky band too!

Reactions: cosmicfolklore