SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 23, 2019
Which is odd since the sailors historically used ropes/twists more than flakes.

Plugs were popular too and if I remember correctly the 'navy flake' tradition comes from dipping plugs in rum/whisky/drink and slicing off re-hydrated flakes.

- - -

I am a hardcore rum nerd. I’ve got over 300 bottles of esoteric, unicorn bottles at my home, in addition to tons of rare bottlings at my tiki bar.

But, I have only recently stumbled into the rum barrel finished Mississippi River by SPC. And I’m in love.

So, my question is… any other recommendations out there for me? I have tried a few rum-topped aromatics, but they never really translate well. They tend to taste more like Malibu or Captain Morgan.

🤘🏻

One of my absolute favorites is Windjammer by GL Pease. The first time I tried it I couldn’t stop smiling as the myriad of different flavors danced across my palate.

+1 on GL Pease's Windjammer - fantastic red virginia vaper with a splash of rum casing, absolutely delicious.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have the following blends in my cellar that allegedly have a rum topping.

Fribourg & Treyer Special Brown Flake
GL Pease Navigator after 10 years I can taste some rum
Rotary Navy Cut has some rum but it was discontinued a long time ago. I knew it would be so I grabbed around 150 tins as when you have one mfg that only carries one blend, no way it lasts. Of course I was called a polly anna for loading up on a blends no one knew about. Whose laughing now and I need to throw in one I told you so. I know I am petty but I can't help it especially when I am right. lol

I hope you guys know I am just messing with you. I am not in any way trying to be mean, just good natured ball busting is all.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am a hardcore rum nerd. I’ve got over 300 bottles of esoteric, unicorn bottles at my home, in addition to tons of rare bottlings at my tiki bar.

But, I have only recently stumbled into the rum barrel finished Mississippi River by SPC. And I’m in love.

So, my question is… any other recommendations out there for me? I have tried a few rum-topped aromatics, but they never really translate well. They tend to taste more like Malibu or Captain Morgan.

🤘🏻
I should have mentioned the rum flavors you will get from pipe tobacco are no where as strong as you will get from real drinking rum. The rum in pipe tobacco are hints of rum, sweetish flavors, 151 it ain't.

Jun 23, 2019
I do enjoy Latakia blends a lot, so looks like Black Frigate is next up. I’ve heard the pipe community is very welcoming and helpful, and you all just demonstrated that in spades!

Samuel Gawith's Navy Flake could be up your alley too then. Lat bomb with a rum casing - another one of my favorites - it's usually pretty wet so I like to cube cut this blend.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
Depending on your affinity for Latakia, Blockade Runner might be worth trying. I like it, but pass over the frigate because of the Latakia. DTM Salty Dogs is one of my rum blends too. But I’m not much for aros, so these are milder than a lot of aros on the added flavor. Haddo’s Delight is another rum regular- but again, not a heavily scented aromatic
Another vote to try Blockade Runner. Heck, it'll be a lot of fun for you to get samples of a whole slew of them and try 'em out. Big fan of Brugal 1888 btw.

gentlemanjerry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
Lol edger! I'll stick with my Scotch/Irish whiskey love affair for drinking...Rum is not on my favorite list...Peter Stokkeby's navy flake has a rum topping...a great smoke IMHO-