PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TruckerSteve

Lurker
Nov 9, 2022
Longview Washington
I first tried smoking a pipe in the 70's. Started with borkum riff and a drug store pipe. Then a friend said get a good pipe and some good tabacco. I found a tinder box and bought a second from the bargain bin. The smoke was vastly improved. I have been smoking off and on through the years but I have decided to get serious.

Trainpipeman

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2021
Rhode Island
I first tried smoking a pipe in the 70's. Started with borkum riff and a drug store pipe. Then a friend said get a good pipe and some good tabacco. I found a tinder box and bought a second from the bargain bin. The smoke was vastly improved. I have been smoking off and on through the years but I have decided to get serious.
Welcome, TruckerSteve!

I hope that you enjoy your time here.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Hello and welcome from West Virginia. My first pipe was a Dr. Grabow and my first tobacco was Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey. That was in 1980 and to this day the Borkum Riff is the only tobacco I ever threw in the trash. I still have the Dr. Grabow somewhere.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Welcome! Do you get to smoke while trucking?

TruckerSteve

Lurker
Nov 9, 2022
Longview Washington
Thank you all. I'm living in Longview WA. but spend most of my day on I-5 in a truck. That is what brings me here.
I have already found that a straight stemmed pipe doesn't work as there is too much leverage against the jaw and teeth when hitting bumps in the road. I currently have 3 full bent pipes that I rotate, I'm considering an oom paul which might hang closer to the jaw. I found a savenlli on ebay that I'm drawn to but it looks rather heavy. I have also been looking at Peterson oom paul which looks lighter but I'm not fond of the sitter. Any thoughts?

Reactions: CosmoKnot509

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Welcome Steve from a fellow lorryist, in the UK.
Bumps in the road are a swine, aren’t they? Canadian shapes are the worst for the bumpy roads…you get that ‘spring board’ bouncing up & down action, which you can’t control before it ejects itself out of one’s mouth. Lol (makes you look like a total twat as well, very embarrassing).
Favourite driving pipes for me are;
Peterson 999
Zulus
Short cutty’s & Lovats.

CosmoKnot509

Lurker
Nov 10, 2022
Thank you all. I'm living in Longview WA. but spend most of my day on I-5 in a truck. That is what brings me here.
I have already found that a straight stemmed pipe doesn't work as there is too much leverage against the jaw and teeth when hitting bumps in the road. I currently have 3 full bent pipes that I rotate, I'm considering an oom paul which might hang closer to the jaw. I found a savenlli on ebay that I'm drawn to but it looks rather heavy. I have also been looking at Peterson oom paul which looks lighter but I'm not fond of the sitter. Any thoughts?
I have found that my favorite pipe for driving so far is my Moonshine Devil Anse. They are very short and light. The only draw back is you may get some gargling if you salivate a lot. Welcome from Yakima.