PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Title shortened and made slightly more inclusive. [FX rates will affect many British product's prices here.]

I'm not a big consumer of whisky, but I know some Forums members are knowledgeable consumers of it. Today's The New York Times Business Section had a story about how the current lower value of the pound has decreased the price of UK single malt whisky in the U.S. I don't know how this translates in my state with its ABC stores, but you might check for any bargains in single malts where you shop for alcoholic beverages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul 3.0

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2019
Anderson, SC
Sadly the wealthy, hipsters, and neckbeards will keep the price nice and jacked up no matter how much actual retail cost of it falls. See Pappy for example. 13 yo retails for $150-200 and you can't purchase a bottle for under $1500

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Today's The New York Times Business Section had a story about how the current lower value of the pound has decreased the price of UK single malt whiskey in the U.S

point of order
If you are buying whiskey you will be working in the exchange rate of Euros unless it is a Northern Ireland product,if you are buying whisky you are in pounds.
whiskey = irish
whisky=scottish:)

I personally love the scottish product,cant abide the Irish one,strange as it seems

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
There was something else going on few months back where whisky price was suppose down. For some reason, never really notice the price difference.

Irish whiskey is sort of like Irish breakfast tea. For lack of better word, slimy. But you get used to it. Scottish whisky is much more brisk.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
This is true in my observation. It does appear that prices on Scottish single malts have decreased somewhat (that does NOT seem to be the same for American whiskeys such as Bourbon), but overall prices in the US are quite a bit higher than they were 5-10 years ago.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Aha, but the price of American bourbon has increased over here...not pleased :oops:.

Regards,

Jay.
Just as it has here. Some Bourbon/Rye whiskies are almost double the price they used to be, and some that used to be regularly available are nearly impossible to find now.

There's a huge boom right now, partially driven by collection/speculative investing. People are spending 1500 dollars for bottles of bourbon that retail for 125. It's ridiculous.

• Wow
Reactions: mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Just as it has here. Some Bourbon/Rye whiskies are almost double the price they used to be, and some that used to be regularly available are nearly impossible to find now.

There's a huge boom right now, partially driven by collection/speculative investing. People are spending 1500 dollars for bottles of bourbon that retail for 125. It's ridiculous.
I'm so glad I bought what I did when I did. By that I mean when Amazon had certain bourbons/ryes on special offer in 2019, 2020 & 2021, I'd buy several bottles of each. I last checked my stock only last week and I have 68 bottles of the stuff.

Sadly my favourites are getting low, but I still love what I bought so perhaps I should be grateful for that forward thinking.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I don’t know about bourbon but everything else seems to have jumped in price the last month or so.👎
I buy 2 x four pint bottles of milk from Asda per week. About 6 months ago it cost roughly 96p per bottle, it now costs £1:65 per bottle! It seems to go up 10p per fortnight.

Something has to give surely, this cannot go on.

And the dairy farmers aren't getting paid any more, that I know for a fact, so someone somewhere is raking it in.

It's the same with bread. We don't import our wheat from Ukraine so again, someone is making a mint and blaming it on the war.

Sad times.

Regards,

Jay.

Record profits are being recorded for this year, during a steady rise in prices, but I have noticed that in the last few weeks some prices have started to drop. I think Wall Street was taking advantage of inflation as an excuse to squeeze a little extra out of us, but some sanity seems to be creeping back in. Canned soups were hitting $5 a can just last month, but I noticed yesterday that they were back down to $2.50ish again. Bread seems to have dropped a dollar also. I can't say about eggs and milk, because I wasn't buying those. But, I did just fill up my truck with gas this morning for $3.05 a gallon, which was lower than what I paid this weekend.

Reactions: mawnansmiff
Certainly the major oil and gas companies have record profits, but is this true in a wider sense?
Q2 showed record profits, but they are in decline, as price drop... of course. This is all just estimates, so some go up as others go down, just averages. I think the restaurant industry has taken some gut punches that it isn't easily recovering from.

Reactions: jpmcwjr