PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I've seen some discussion on product descriptions and old reviews that there was something called the "Pipe Tobacco Hall of Fame", which I can't find any information on.

Does anyone know what it is or was? Anyone have a list of those tobaccos which are inductees?

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I seem to recall that @JimInks, in collaboration with some other very credible pipe smokers, compiled on another forum a quasi-official list of archetypical tobaccos by genre.

Is that what you're referring to?

If so, can somebody direct us to that? I forget now what it's called or where to find it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've seen some discussion on product descriptions and old reviews that there was something called the "Pipe Tobacco Hall of Fame", which I can't find any information on.

Does anyone know what it is or was? Anyone have a list of those tobaccos which are inductees?
Some years back, Tobacco Reviews had a Hall of fame for pipe tobaccos. As I remember it, on the list was Carter Hall, Three Nuns, Balkan Sobranie Original Mixture, and one or two more that I don't recall. Possibly Nightcap, too. Maybe somebody else will remember the rest.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho

A little while back I started a a thread about “definitive tobaccos” there was a bit of pushback what with such a wide variety of palates but there is some really good info there about blends that seemed to be the pinnacles of their family/genre, ( not good with cut and paste on my iPad) but might be worth a search/read…

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Aug 20, 2022
A little while back I started a a thread about “definitive tobaccos” there was a bit of pushback what with such a wide variety of palates but there is some really good info there about blends that seemed to be the pinnacles of their family/genre, ( not good with cut and paste on my iPad) but might be worth a search/read…

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I seem to recall that @JimInks, in collaboration with some other very credible pipe smokers, compiled on another forum a quasi-official list of archetypical tobaccos by genre.

A group of us were asked to contribute to a list of "gold standard" blends on the other large forum. We've kept it updated, as new blends appear and others go out of production, or the quality changes.
It's a group effort, so when a blend appears on the list it's because there's a consensus that it belongs there. It's not just a "one fanboy" list.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I made my own list with my own genre definitions as well. Why not do the same?

You can even include out of production blends if you want (I did not). Now I have a handy dandy list of what I consider to be the best blends which allows me to at a glance see if I want to seek out more blends in a particular category.

Plus, since it's my own list, I don;t have to worry about being overly organized.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
A group of us were asked to contribute to a list of "gold standard" blends on the other large forum. We've kept it updated, as new blends appear and others go out of production, or the quality changes.
It's a group effort, so when a blend appears on the list it's because there's a consensus that it belongs there. It's not just a "one fanboy" list.

That's the one. Thanks -- I'd lost track of it.

@coys, if you google "Pipe Smokers Gold Standard Blends," it should be at the top of your search results.

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
Tobaccoreviews.com has this in the description of my mixture 965: "Pipe Tobacco Hall of Fame Inductee". So so like the OP... I just assumed there was a pipe tobacco Hall of Fame! I guess not! LOL!

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
While i can appreciate a bunch of FOGs discussing a list and curating it as needed, it is a fun idea, but might as well call it the YMMV list for the general population. Sadly it’s like asking some of my cigar brothers their all time favorite cigar and knowing there’s like 2 boxes of them left in existence, doesn’t do broke ass me much good or have an effect on what I’m smok8ng or i should say what i have access to smoke. I’ve heard great th8ngs about the “old” Wessex Dark Flake … thrilling, great, wonderful, problem is Harris owns it all (exaggeration for effect). 😂.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Some years back, Tobacco Reviews had a Hall of fame for pipe tobaccos. As I remember it, on the list was Carter Hall, Three Nuns, Balkan Sobranie Original Mixture, and one or two more that I don't recall. Possibly Nightcap, too. Maybe somebody else will remember the rest.
If I recall it was Prince Albert and Sir Walter Raleigh. It was a while ago so I could be mistaken.

• Haha
Reactions: cornedbeef

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
If I recall it was Prince Albert and Sir Walter Raleigh. It was a while ago so I could be mistaken.
You may be right, too. I remember it being a small list, but I believe you are right on Prince Albert at least.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Tobaccoreviews.com changed hands while we weren't looking. I just saw that the copyright notice at the bottom of homepage now says "STC Holdings LLC, a division of Mac Baren USA."
I knew that, Mr. Slow Newsboy. nnnn It happened in July. But, it was Cretin Kretek who changed the site format for the worse and removed the Hall of Fame.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
While i can appreciate a bunch of FOGs discussing a list and curating it as needed, it is a fun idea, but might as well call it the YMMV list for the general population. Sadly it’s like asking some of my cigar brothers their all time favorite cigar and knowing there’s like 2 boxes of them left in existence, doesn’t do broke ass me much good or have an effect on what I’m smok8ng or i should say what i have access to smoke. I’ve heard great th8ngs about the “old” Wessex Dark Flake … thrilling, great, wonderful, problem is Harris owns it all (exaggeration for effect). 😂.
But just think. In 20 years, we’ll be the old guys on here, sitting on piles of Red Hunt and CRF. We’ll have multiple tins from that “really good year” Cringle Flake. And we’ll be complaining to the whippersnappers that the De Luxe Navy Rolls aren’t anywhere near as good as the ones Peterson used to make.