PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Mesmerizing to look at. If it's malleable enough, I'm sure someone could construct a stem from that. It would certainly make the pipe unique and probably valuable.
So, my conclusion, (or theory anyway), based on the book quoted by @mawnansmiff here, is that pipe stems were never produced using raw amber, but were always made out of a manufactured product obtained from melting down natural amber and pressing it into slabs. This makes sense. It's still natural amber and presumably wouldn't need to have binders added to it, but it would be much more uniform, and amenable to carving, drilling, etc, and larger pieces could be obtained at a much lower price. I could never figure out how pipe stems could be made from amber because in its natural state, intact pieces big enough to fashion a stem out of must be fairly rare and quite expensive. I'm just guessing. Maybe there were high end pipes fitted with raw amber stems for purely aesthetic reasons, but I think the raw stuff would have be reserved for making jewelry and it's probably more brittle than the manufactured slabs, which would have been more uniform, without the natural fractures and inclusions you see in the raw stuff.

So again, I'm guessing, but the reason you never see green amber pipe stems is probably because the green stuff is less common and it was un-economic to make slabs out of it. If you got a bunch of small, loose chips and unusable pieces left over from jewellers, or from the mine, the bulk of it would be orange-yellow. Also, pipe makers were probably less concerned with producing bespoke pieces than they are nowadays, and were using amber as a stem material because it was available in bulk from Prussia, and was durable enough to serve its intended purpose. 🤷‍♂️

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Maybe as pipe smokers, if we want to show our love and support for the Ukraine. We should ask of all pipe carvers/companies out there to purchase Amber from the Ukraine to make stems out of for pipes.

I read this online;

Ukraine has large amber deposits. An estimated 150 tonnes of amber worth almost half a billion US dollars are extracted there annually.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Maybe as pipe smokers, if we want to show our love and support for the Ukraine. We should ask of all pipe carvers/companies out there to purchase Amber from the Ukraine to make stems out of for pipes.

I read this online;

Ukraine has large amber deposits. An estimated 150 tonnes of amber worth almost half a billion US dollars are extracted there annually.
Bring back amber stems! ✊🇺🇦

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
I see a lot of old meerschaum pipes with genuine amber stems on here. I love the look of those turn-of-the-century cutty pipes. [What's the plural of cutty? Cuttys? Cutties?]

Anyway, when I was touring in the Baltic in 2006, where a lot of high quality amber comes from, I bought a pair of green amber earrings for my fiancée. The green amber (I think) was a little more rare, but common enough that it's not much more costly than the yellow-orange stuff. According to Wikipedia:

"...amber can range from a whitish color through a pale lemon yellow, to brown and almost black. Other uncommon colors include red amber (sometimes known as "cherry amber"), green amber, and even blue amber, which is rare and highly sought after..."​
So, has anyone ever heard of or seen, or does anyone own a vintage pipe with a green amber stem? I can't see why they wouldn't exist. Green amber is common enough. I would guess the amber used to make pipes came from the Baltic region. I'm assuming one of you experts will school me if I'm wrong.

I'd love to see a pipe made with Dominican blue amber, but I guess it would be very expensive. The Dominican amber is fluorescent. It appears normal under artificial light, but it glows blue in direct sunlight and bright milky blue under ultraviolet light. How cool is that!!!

JFYI: most of amber (like 99.99%) sold in Baltic states nowadays actually comes from Polissia, Ukraine.

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
I have a few amber stem pipes. Two of them , wich are gold guielded bulldogs , have a funny taste on the stem. They smell like pine , eucaliptus , mint wich i dislike. That makes me think that they are not real amber. Other real amber pipes i have do not smell like that. The smell is on the stem, not the shank or bowl. I have smoked them with other stems and they are OK. Makes me think that many counterfeit amber pipes where made.

Apparently you can burn amber as an incense so it's obviously not impervious to heat.
It is confusing, but amber used as incense is just a fragrance name, not a real geological substance.

"Amber resin is a solid crystalline fragrance made from a combination of many resinoids and oleoresins (plant secretions) such as myrrh, gum frankincense, gum styrax, benzoin, sal tree, labdanum and other aromatic compounds. These ingredients are sourced from the tropical sub-forests of India and Africa. They are crushed, mixed, carefully heated and cooled to form the crystalline amber. Amber resin can be used as a solid perfume, as incense when used in an oil warmer, and burned over charcoal tablets."

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I have a few amber stem pipes. Two of them , wich are gold guielded bulldogs , have a funny taste on the stem. They smell like pine , eucaliptus , mint wich i dislike. That makes me think that they are not real amber. Other real amber pipes i have do not smell like that. The smell is on the stem, not the shank or bowl. I have smoked them with other stems and they are OK. Makes me think that many counterfeit amber pipes where made.
Piney scent when warmed is a sign of real amber, maybe the non-smelly ones are fake.

Reactions: Winnipeger

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Reactions: Winnipeger

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I don't think I could smoke a pipe with a green stem. At home our every day glasses are a set of plastic of different colors. I go out of my way to avoid using a green one to drink milk. cray

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
I don't think I could smoke a pipe with a green stem. At home our every day glasses are a set of plastic of different colors. I go out of my way to avoid using a green one to drink milk. cray

Depends on the shade of green, probably. Love this one:

1664868803190.png

• Love
Reactions: beefeater33