PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I haven't tried nearly enough Virginias to give a proper opinion. This current bag is supposed to contain only one Virginia but I can make out two different phenotypes and of course different leaf sizes from different parts of the plant. That's all going to make a difference in taste. And my palate is far too shot up and/or uneducated to properly discern the differences.

Look for yourself, see how different the leaves are? Color, leaf and rib thickness, feel, smell and taste.
All different but out of the same bag. You'd think the left one is Latakia but no, my Latakia is completely differently. Both leaves are lying on the same side but you can barely see the ribs on the right one.
View attachment 170263
@Chaukisch You'll have to choose the most golden coloured Virginia leaf for the "Clay King"!
No Latakia in "Clay King" though; I think that Citrus Virginia would suit it very well, as SG Black Forest (the real life "Clay King") has a honey / lemon flavour?
Just to recap "Clay King" is a mild, golden coloured Virginia / Cavendish blend...
Finally, what would you use to get a bit of the earthy taste that you say is suited to clay pipes?
When you make the "Clay King" I recommend you sample it in a clay pipe; to make sure it is worthy of the King!!!

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
1/2 a bowl of Arango Balkan Supreme in a Savinelli 2614KS with 6mm filter.

Well, here's a blend to smoke whilst strolling high atop the fieldstone ramparts of your castle surveying your feudal estate and awaiting the return of your beloved falcon with a hare or two for your noontime stew along with a flagon of fine aged wine and fresh baked bread.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
1/2 a bowl of Arango Balkan Supreme in a Savinelli 2614KS with 6mm filter.

Well, here's a blend to smoke whilst strolling high atop the fieldstone ramparts of your castle surveying your feudal estate and awaiting the return of your beloved falcon with a hare or two for your noontime stew along with a flagon of fine aged wine and fresh baked bread.
@Hillcrest I made a loaf of bread this morning; got salmon for dinner and going to make a crumble later!

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Smoking a bowl of 2022 Ennerdale in a late 19th century meerschaum 'cutty' pipe with amberine stem and later shank repair of an indeterminate age. Looking at the banding on the shank it might be what was called Britannia Metal which was very popular for making cutlery as well as fake shillings and half crowns!

View attachment 170272
Interesting info about the banding.
I have a Dunhill with a similar looking repair band. I really like the look - I wonder if it is The ssmecstuff?

Attachments

• 7108EEAE-20EC-4893-81B8-B785DB43BBA8.jpeg
    7108EEAE-20EC-4893-81B8-B785DB43BBA8.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 764395F9-199C-4780-8FDD-95AD2C06CD37.jpeg
    764395F9-199C-4780-8FDD-95AD2C06CD37.jpeg
    7.6 KB · Views: 4

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Interesting info about the banding.
I have a Dunhill with a similar looking repair band. I really like the look - I wonder if it is The ssmecstuff?
SSMECSTUFF? You have lost me on that one my friend. Unless I am being unusually thick this morning due to Espresso deprivation what does ssmecstuff mean?. You are right about the banding looking very similar.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Here is another of my rotation you don't see very often. It is a quiet day here in Condorville so I get to smoke a few bowls, post a few pictures and amuse the rubes! This pipe is my 'Devils Arse' or whatever you call it from the turn of the century with silver ornate shank repair sitting next to a jar of 2021 Bosuns Plug as I get ready to prepare a bowl to imbibe before lunch.

thumbnail-3.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.